PDA

View Full Version : Ok, HELP!!! Seriously...

Amanda
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
So, I am the mother of the groom- first time around. I haven't been to a Bridal shower in 20 years! ( I know- but that is part of traveling and moving). I know things are done differently now than back then. I mean, we never heard of Grooms cakes or anything like that. And the Bride already had Bridesmaids photos done?? ANYHOO,
I don't know what kinds of presents are "in" for Bridal Showers these days. The kiddos don't have money for a honeymoon right now :sad44: {sniff!} so gifts for that are not really even a consideration. She is registered at Victoria's Secret, but that is just REALLY awkward for me as the Groom's mom, lol!!! Any ideas- what is typical these days besides thongs and all that mess? Somebody else can do those. I don't know her very well yet either so that makes it iffy.
I am really feeling lost here.:wub1::wub1::wub1:

kathrynvc
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Congratulations, Amanda. I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies from those who are really closer to these types of events. Back in my day, we called them 'lingerie showers.' I thought they had gone by the wayside. I'm sure I'd blush at a modern day one! Of course you could just Bing the question. Good luck.

altimasport
03-01-2012, 10:08 PM
When I got married it was a lingerie party that was 13 almost 14 years ago. It was really a lot of fun. You could always do a basket from a bath place like from bath and body works. They have some wonderful things there. If it is a joint party then you could always do something for their house or apt. Good luck!!

Mary-Lynne
03-02-2012, 04:32 AM
My kids...in their early 30s,both just got married and all they wanted was gift certificates!

britnkaysmemaw2
03-02-2012, 06:14 AM
I think Chris has the best answer for you. Get a gift basket with lotions, etc in it if this is a Lingerie Shower. If it is a normal kitchen type shower, then see if they are registered anywhere like Macy's, etc and see what's on that list and go somewhere cheaper and buy the same items, lol.....sounds rotten, but Macy's and those places are expensive, and you can get the same items at other stores for discounts.

You could always get a Gift Certificate for a nice Hotel room for a night for them for their honeymoon. It doesn't have to be far away, but at least it would be a honeymoon of sorts for them.

Good luck Amanda.....you will do fine.

scrapn4christ
03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
I have to agree with mom & Chris! If it's lingerie there is no way I could buy slinky stuff for my daughter. I would have to go with the basket of pampering supplies. Or you could even get towels or sheets. I would pray it was a normal shower & get something for the house.
They have already had Bridesmaids photos done? When is the wedding? Britt's is 7 months (oops just under that now) away and she is just looking for a photographer etc. Good luck Amanda!!

Precepts and Promises
03-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I've been about to PM you more than once, just to see how things have been going, Amanda. I'm glad you posted.
I'm going to just agree with the other ladies about the basket of goodies. Victoria's Secret has some very nice things, too: body lotions, make up, perfume... She actually might have some of those on her registry.
Take a deep breath.... repeat as necessary. Been there; done that. Twice. :-)

Amanda
03-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I've been about to PM you more than once, just to see how things have been going, Amanda. I'm glad you posted.
I'm going to just agree with the other ladies about the basket of goodies. Victoria's Secret has some very nice things, too: body lotions, make up, perfume... She actually might have some of those on her registry.
Take a deep breath.... repeat as necessary. Been there; done that. Twice. :-)
Thanks- nope, only really pricey and um, well uncomfortable things listed there. And for me, I am not comfortable supporting that business. Was hoping there would be more options than just lingerie. :wub1:

Precepts and Promises
03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Then, Bath and Body Works, or Sephora, or Lush... Go with your conscience; that's the Spirit's voice...

Amanda
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Then, Bath and Body Works, or Sephora, or Lush... Go with your conscience; that's the Spirit's voice...
HA! You made me laugh- haven't heard of the last two- and I am being a real pitb ---for Bath & Body works as I am NOT a girly girl. My facial treatment would be the mudpies I made as a kid, ROFL-- and I hate baths!!
BUT I think I have an idea of what to do, just have to wait for all the tornados to pass us. We were going to do the shopping this aft., but the storm cells have changed our minds. But at least I finally have my idea!! yea!!!! Thanks everyone! :gogo::love-smiley-011:

Precepts and Promises
03-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Let us know how it all turns out! We're invested now, you know.

Amanda
03-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Weeeelll,
Went looking Saturday in Charlotte. Nada! I decided on elegant and romantic. Told our son that "sexy" would have to come from others. He said, much to my surprise and pleasure- " Sexy doesn't need to come from anyone". He feels like she doesn't need that to attract him. Turns out the list I viewed was from the wrong Jess- LOL!! So, I looked here yesterday in the mall and still, nothing. I guess I have to go online now. :D I had one that I wanted for our honeymoon that I found in NYC at Macy's. Back then it was $30.00. Had the money but didn't want to spend it . Have regretted it to this day. So I thought I would try to find something like that for her.

Precepts and Promises
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Weeeelll,
Went looking Saturday in Charlotte. Nada! I decided on elegant and romantic. Told our son that "sexy" would have to come from others. He said, much to my surprise and pleasure- " Sexy doesn't need to come from anyone". He feels like she doesn't need that to attract him. Turns out the list I viewed was from the wrong Jess- LOL!! So, I looked here yesterday in the mall and still, nothing. I guess I have to go online now. :D I had one that I wanted for our honeymoon that I found in NYC at Macy's. Back then it was $30.00. Had the money but didn't want to spend it . Have regretted it to this day. So I thought I would try to find something like that for her.

The wrong bride! Oh, that could be a scene in one of the wedding-disaster-comedy movies. Glad you caught it!

Amanda
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Ok, so this is what I ended up with:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/artfulpioneer/ForJess.jpg

Amazingly, after searching 8 places, we found this at a name brand outlet for $22.00 total!!!

Precepts and Promises
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh, that's lovely! Sweet and alluring, without being tacky. Good work!

britnkaysmemaw2
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
That is wonderful Amanda....I knew you would find just the right thing!

mama4bears
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Beautiful choice! Satin is always so classy and romantic to me. You did good!

wanda
03-12-2012, 05:04 AM
That is a great choice! It's beautiful - she will surely love it!