PDA

View Full Version : Any last minute tips for me????

HollyS
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok, so being a mom of 3 you'd think I'd have plenty ideas of keeping my boys entertained for longer periods of time. Well this will actually be the first that we all will be on a plane trip together....for 4-5 hours on one leg!!!!

So.....give me your best ideas for keeping them entertained! And pray please :twitcy:

Thanks in advance,
Holly

mosser77
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I bookmarked this post (http://2boysseattlemama.blogspot.com/2007/05/works-for-me-wednesday-occupy-toddler.html) for future reference. She gives really good tips on keeping the little ones entertained!

yin
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I've "drugged" them, and bribed them, but now that they are older the best thing to do is to book a flight with individual computer games/ movie selection. Perhaps a game boy would do? THough I don't allow that at home. I'll need to bring them on a 27 hour flight in Dec to visit my brother who is in Washington D.C. - I'm NOT looking forward to that!:laugh:

HollyS
06-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks Erin and Yin!!! Those are great tips...

ckbymommy
06-08-2007, 06:27 AM
We have never flown for a family vacation, but do usually take a raod trip every year. The best advice I can suggest is to keep them busy! I have always packed (or had them as they get older) a container (carry on bag?) filled with a variety of items to keep them happy (depending on age)....

snacks
books
coloring/activity books and something to write with
favorite small toys
electronic games (like Yin suggested) tend to keep them busy for a long time
(don't forget extra batteries)
And, of course, a favorite snuggly

You will probably want to put in a few packs of gum to aid in popping clogged ears.

I've also created little books on the computer and printed one per child with travel games ...
hangman
dots
tic tac toe
mad libs
round robin stories (these are fun, keep the books and make a mini scrapbook featuring the often nonesense story that evolves with scans of any 'illistrations' the kids draw to go with it)
plus road trip games, but you could add flight games like
marking off if they see specific things out the window or
marking off specific things they might see in the cabin (a person with red hair, a young baby, a newlywed couple)

HTH, I will post more if I think of anything else

HollyS
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Great ideas too Melanie! Thanks!

Debra
06-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Keep your sense of humor... At all costs..lol.. and remember that "this too shall pass!"

- Play I-Spy,

- Get Sean and Theo video game magazines to read.

- Sit by Jackie and play "choose the hand" with a coin during those times that electronic devices can't be turned on.

-Color with them.

-and oh.. this one works really well too... have them take turns drawing... and the first person to call out what the "object" drawn is gets the next turn to draw.

These will all require your participation which is all they're looking for anyways :)

- Also, you might want to get Sean a journal that he can record the trip as it goes.

Hope you have a wonderful time.. and take LOADS of pics!!

okblues
06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Great ideas! Wishing you a great vacation Holly!

CrayonQueen
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I like all of those suggestions, and the only other thing I'd add is if they have an iPod/MP3 player, bring that along as well. If this is the first time that you guys have been to the Canyon, ask them what kinds of things they think they will see there. What are they looking forward to the most? That might make for an interesting convo....make sure you are all dressed comfortably, and like Debra said, keep your sense of humor, and be ready to scrap all those memories when you get home. Have a fab vacation Holly!!