PDA

View Full Version : Commerical Use

criostirado
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
When the kit is a CU (commercial use) what does that mean exactly? That you can use the images to help promote your business? or that you can use the images by recoloring etc to make a kit??

thanks!

Amanda
01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
When the kit is a CU (commercial use) what does that mean exactly? That you can use the images to help promote your business? or that you can use the images by recoloring etc to make a kit??

thanks!
It depends upon the designer's TOU-
Most designers CU items can be used in kits, yes. Not all designers allow altering of the images, and then, many encourage it. lol. You just have to read the enclosed TOU.

elenasworld
01-24-2012, 06:22 AM
It gets very confusing with CU items too -- I have noticed that many designers are putting further stipulations on the usage. for example, I have seen terms that specifically state only for digital scrapping use, and other uses require additional licenses. I am thinking this has to do a lot with all the items now being sold on places like Etsy. I have seen digi kits for making party supplies and favors, and then on Etsy something similar is available at a huge markup from the scrapping store. It is crazy.

criostirado
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I would eventually like to make my own kits....or be able to make the things that I need for whatever project I am doing....I just dont know where to start or where does everyone get the pictures of the things that they use? I know public domain...but is that the only place??

donakat
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
There are not that many photos out there available for commercial use and free of cost and royalty free. Some, but not many. I take my own photos, go to antique stores and photograph other things wherever I may be that look like they'd be good for a kit. Otherwise, you end up making things from scratch in your drawing and image applications or purchasing commercial use items. Andrea has some great classes here for Photoshop and Illustrator that will get you started with a great foundation. Check them out in the store!

Amanda
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
There are not that many photos out there available for commercial use and free of cost and royalty free. Some, but not many. I take my own photos, go to antique stores and photograph other things wherever I may be that look like they'd be good for a kit. Otherwise, you end up making things from scratch in your drawing and image applications or purchasing commercial use items. Andrea has some great classes here for Photoshop and Illustrator that will get you started with a great foundation. Check them out in the store!
--yeah, what she said! lol
I know you are taking one of the classes here- kuddos to you!

I make/paint/ photograph my own now. I sometimes use public domain images, but you must be VERY careful- especially with the new laws that have passed, and for example, the VW- since it was a local photo I thought it was ok, but some inventors/manufacturers copyright the images of their work, and not just the item! You can buy images if you want, and there are some .99 sites out there, but you STILL have to check and make sure that multiple copies are ok. Talk to me more about this in a chat, Christina. :D

cee
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I think you have to be careful of what you photo too and use- for instance if you have a photo of one of the angel figures its okay to use the photo in a layout but you couldnt extract the figure and use it as an element in a kit for sale as the figure is copyrighted
I too would like to have a go at doing kits, not for sale I dont want to do that but would love to do them for using myself