PDA

View Full Version : I am wondering...

Precepts and Promises
01-18-2012, 05:30 AM
...if the colors of a template make any difference to you in deciding to purchase a pack? And, does color make a difference for you when scrapping?
Do you like a greyscale?
Colors?
If you like colors, would you prefer monochromatic or a variety?

For myself, I much prefer a colored template, not greyscale. I find it quite uninspiring and sometimes hard to see. (Yep. I'm THAT old!)

How about you?

kathrynvc
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi, Barbara,

What I look for in a template is something really different, e.g. a great mask, or a scalloped edge, or wavy paper edge. A colored template is just nice window dressing. FWIW.

webdesignmom
01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree with what kathryn says...color doesn't matter to me.

HollyS
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
When I myself have shopped templates, I find myself being drawn to templates that are colored and include shadows. But that maybe just me :)

britnkaysmemaw2
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I too find myself drawn to the colored templates. I really love finding templates with great shapes and unique styles. Those are what I lean towards when I am in a scrapping rut! (Like I am right now! (:...)

cee
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I find that some of the coloured templates are good as they balance the paper layering, that is they might have three parts of the layout in light blue and three in green etc and then its easy for you to place one paper to all the t ree of the colour and so keep the template balanced.

wanda
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I like them with subtle colors, or classic color combinations....nothing too unusual because it is distracting. Not too many colors, either. Just two or three. I like shadowing, but I clear it when I'm working and do my own.

Those previews of your new templates are perfect - subtle, classic colors.

Precepts and Promises
01-18-2012, 05:43 PM
This has been very helpful, ladies.
It appears that color is leading over grey scale, but the consensus seems to be that you all like your templates to be more than just shapes; you want details, too, ie, shadows, unique shapes, etc.
One more question; does any one here use .tif files? If they were available, would you use .png files?
I might be back with a poll for a color scheme; I've been thinking that I'd like a unique palette for my templates rather than popping all over the color wheel as I have been doing!
Thanks!

britnkaysmemaw2
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
No tif or PNG for me....I use PSD's.

donakat
01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree that the colored templates are a bit easier to use because of the color groupings, and they look appealing, as Holly said. I think it's neat for a designer to have their own unique color scheme as part of their identity, too.

In terms of shadows, that's something I just go in and delete immediately, as I do my own individually. I do like the inclusion of special shapes and border treatments, though, to which papers can be clipped. That's a little bonus there in the template if I need it.

Thanks for asking our opinions!

Mary-Lynne
01-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I like shadows, but I don't want them simplified by the designer, so I can't delete them or change the direction if I want.

I also like the softer colors so I can really see the template...I look for uniqueness...something that will inspire me to scrap, not just another layout. Does that make sense?

Precepts and Promises
01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Perfect sense! Thank you all for your input. I will be back with some color palettes so you all can chime in for my coming-soon-to-a-store-near-you color scheme!

kathrynvc
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't use tif or png files, in fact I delete them immediately. (But I think PSE users need them. . . not sure.) I was just going to say what Donakat said, about finding a color theme that would be your signature. And, I appreciate your asking, too.

elenasworld
01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I like templates that are in color (but I also pick up templates that are in greyscale) I think the multiple colors help me to visualize and pick papers and elements. And the colors are so much prettier and make me feel cheery and in the mood to buy :)

Darlene Currie
01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm definitely drawn to colours first, but it's the makeup of the template that makes my final decision, no matter the colour scheme. When I create templates, I like a definite colour scheme. My first pack I tried to make it different from other designers and I wanted to keep mine all the same, but I've changed it since. I think a colour scheme identifies a designer a little more.

Precepts and Promises
01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't use tif or png files, in fact I delete them immediately. (But I think PSE users need them. . . not sure.) I was just going to say what Donakat said, about finding a color theme that would be your signature. And, I appreciate your asking, too.

PSE uses .psd templates just like its Big Brother. I've been told that .tif files are used by scrappers who use programs other than PS or PSE, but I don't know exactly what those programs are. I know that Liz of Scrapping with Liz, now offers the files for Storybook Creator or Memory Makers, but I haven't a clue about how to provide those. So, I think I'll just go back to offering only.psd files, unless I hear from a customer who needs them.

Precepts and Promises
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm definitely drawn to colours first, but it's the makeup of the template that makes my final decision, no matter the colour scheme. When I create templates, I like a definite colour scheme. My first pack I tried to make it different from other designers and I wanted to keep mine all the same, but I've changed it since. I think a colour scheme identifies a designer a little more.

My problem with choosing a color scheme is that I like so many! Really, the world is FULL of beautiful colors, how could I possibly narrow it down??? This will be difficult....

webdesignmom
01-20-2012, 07:03 AM
PSD's here too.