PDA

View Full Version : Somone out there does NOT like me?????

Helen
06-06-2007, 08:44 AM
AARGH!!!!!!!!!!! This is starting to get on my nerves! I woke up to my 4-shared hosting site once again - temporarily blocked - until I PROVE that my first free template I shared is MINE!!!!!!!!! The one with the blocks around the 4 sides.

All it takes is ONE person to click the 'abuse' key in 4-shared - and the file is moved to an 'abuse' folder and the complete account is temporarily blocked until the owner of the file PROVES the file is ok.

This is getting on my nerves - I'm sorry to rant here - but what makes people do this? If someone has a question on a file - why don't they just email me and ask?

I personally created this template several months ago for a quick page exchange here at GDS. I am the editor of a magazine and did a similar layout like this - BECAUSE I used to quilt and this seemed like a natural to me.
IF this template looks like someone elses then they STOLE my idea.

I have been doing graphic design my entire life and I have NEVER stolen anyone else's work. I can't help it if great minds sometimes think alike!!!

The first time 4-shared did this to me - I had to prove the file in question was mine. I did - and my account was opened up after waiting 1 day for them to get to my 'response'. Now I have to wait again.

Sorry for my ranting here - but how can 1 person click an abuse key and cause this kind of aggravation. What ever happened to emailing someone and asking - OR is it that someone does not like me - and is doing this just to frustrate me. I wonder if this same person is doing this to others?

Designers - what do you do in a case like this - I don't make designs to sell.
All I wanted to do was to share an idea I had used a long time ago with my new found friends in digiscrapping!

So - I am in the process of moving my freebies to a different hosting site that at least CONTACTS me if there is any question on one of my files. 4-shared obviously allows anyone to block an account without any thought to contacting the owner of the file BEFORE temporarily locking the account.

AARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull:

Andrea
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the designing world!

Too bad you can't find out who complained so you can get to the bottom of it. Try using another file sharing service or just attach it at GDS! You can add your file as an attachment in the community freebies area when you post your freebie notice instead of using 4shared.

Sorry that this has happened to you! We love you at GDS though! *smile

twirlyjoy
06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
oh no - I have to say that this has never happened to me, but if it did happen with something I knew was mine, I too would be really angry! Hope you successfully find somewhere else to host your files :)

(btw for files you are sharing as the community member giveaways here at gds, you can upload them as an attachment to your post, if thats any help at all)

twirlyjoy
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
lol Andrea posted as i was typing - see how great minds DO think alike!!

Debra
06-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Helen.. this is horrible! So sorry! Hope it gets straightened out... in the meantime, you can always do an attachment here ;)

Maisie
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh Helen,
This sucks! People just don't realize that there could be 10 people, out of a 100 that can come up with the same idea.
I have read some flaming threads about someone stealing an idea from them,
But I have seen that same person take that idea from someone else, and claim it as theirs.
It's a cut throat business. I'm just sorry it had to happen to you.
Andrea is right... We love you here at GDS.

Helen
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Thank you both for responding - I will try to attach the files to my posts here.
Forgot you could do that with the freebies.

Since I don't share them with anyone else except the folks here at GDS - that makes perfect sense to me.

Andrea - I don't know how YOU designers do it! My word, there are only so many ways to put blocks and circles on a page! Yes, I am going to try to find out - but I don't think you can. I didn't the last time either. All I got was an apology note from 4-shared a day after they FINALLY reviewed it and got back to me.

Thanks - off to add my links to my postings.

TraciJ
06-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh Helen ... I can understand your frustration!! That's so disgusting that someone would do that to you. We all know that you're not stealing the ideas, it's just the nerve of having to "prove" that to some company ...
I hope that your NEW storage place won't be as nasty!

bdjeepers
06-06-2007, 11:34 AM
You have the right to rant, lady! Go get 'em! I've seen the same complaint about that company on some blogs, too, and it takes a least day for them to clear things up. If someone wants make a complaint, it should be a little more difficult than pressing a button - they should have to fill out a form, state a reason, and leave their name and email address.

ANDREA! Thanks for the tip about attaching a file. I wasn't aware of that! That means we can keep Helen AND her files right here with us, and woohoo to that! We love our Helen!

natalyna
06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Ooo, this is horrible! Helen you are right - if someone is not sure if this is yours they have to try to write to you first. I just think that it can be somebody who is envious to you, because I can't understand otherways such a behaviour...

Babette
06-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Oh Helen ... that's terrible!! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! Seems really stupid to me ... especially considering that so many things look the same! I mean, how different can a box be? Or a paperclip??? I hope it all settles for you ... I think you did the right thing by looking elsewhere!

Rebecca
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
How annoying. I know there is the abuse things but I mean really anyone could just click it cause they felt like it. They should have to show proof one way or another too.

ABitDaffy
06-06-2007, 12:52 PM
That's just beyond annoying! I understand the need to have some kind of way to make sure people aren't being pirates, but it seems to me that there ought to be more checks and balances. That would be like me calling up the police and telling them, "Hey, my neighbor's selling drugs!" and them just coming and picking her up, no questions asked. I think there's a name for that - police state? Anyway, I hope you get it straightened out or find another place to upload, because I love your freebies!

Helen
06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, I just sent a very lengthy letter (my first one was kind of short), and sent them proof that I had designed this template back in 1993, when I was a volunteer editor at that time for the Illinois Region Model A Restorers Club newsletter. I used it again last year in the international Model A News magazine that I am the editor for. I re-used it for my GDS layout.

So if the person who clicked that button can prove they had this template before 1993, then I have the rights to that design. Not that it matters to me, I mean goodness, you can only put blocks on a page so many ways. I don't care if someone borrowed my concept from my Illinois Region Newsletter from 1993 or last year's page in the Model A News, or even my layout in GDS, but you would think they would ask before they go after me. I have too much evidence on what I do. I didn't think I would have to use it to defend myself.

Anyway, I went back to edit my first 3 postings here, but I don't see where I can 'manage' my attachments on old links. So, I have re-loaded them to my second 4-shared account (thank goodness I have 2 of them), and will add those links this afternoon.

In the future, when I add new free postings, I will attach the files in the thread and not resort to linking to 4-shared on new ones.

Can't wait to see what 4-shared comes back with now - probably another apology tomorrow - but I would love to know who did that to me. Such a nuisance.

Helen
06-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Update - person either backed off - or 4-shared is taking the blame - see their apology in the new thread:

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25696#post25696

:pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru: :pcguru:

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Love4Scrap
06-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Helen,
I am not he best here or the one that has the satus of senior, so my thoughts may not be as IMPORTANT as those that are from the others here!~ but the more that I read the thread that you put here the more I started REANTING if you will. I think that you are 100% Original !!!! and we here all know that these designs are YOURS!!! I hate that this has happened and I DON'T think that I would be as nice , if it had been me, because YES!~ thats behond fusration......,and to who ever has done this to Helen , I hope that you are READING THESE !` , and see that She would be glad to EXPLAIN HERSELF ,if that was needed.YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK!!!! THERE ARE OTHER "BLOCKS", out there , I am sure , but that doesn't meen that they are YOURS!!! , see as far as the "Idea" stealing ... if that were the case then i would be able to say that She stole the "Idea" from Me...

I have thought of the same idea, its just that I can't draw with the programs that are out here , I have to use the "Old Fashion " Pencil and Paper!~

Ok!!! I have gone on a RANT!!!! ,but I just wanted to get this OUT !~ , AND SAY remember ladies we are FRIENDS HERE!!! , at least thats what WE ARE SUPPOST TO BE!!!

If there are ANY questions about a Layout or Designers Freebie ,PLEASE JUST ASK THEM !!!

I know that I would!!!!! Helen you are the best of Designers her and I loves ya ... No matter what!!! they say!~

Love4Scrap

Daneta