PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom or PS??

agarzaldynrd
12-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Any lightroom users out there? I use PS but haven't really done too much with my pics. as far as processing. Trying to get better at that. Your thoughts are appreciated!

I have CS5.

wanda
12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I use PSE (v. 8). Took a Jessica Sprague class on editing pictures that was soooo helpful getting me started! I also downloaded some free actions from Pioneer Woman that I use literally all the time!

agarzaldynrd
12-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Just found the Pioneer Woman...I'll have to bookmark that. I'm so glad that I found her article on RAW vs. Jpeg and how she went back to Jpeg and does only that now!! I don't understand RAW. Anyway, next question...Jessica Sprague..was that an on-line class or did you attend in person?

Precepts and Promises
12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Anna, I use PSE and Lightroom. I like editing my photos in LR; it's a bit different in technique, but I like that it's not permanent. Basically, you're just adding information to the data file without actually changing the pixels. In PS and PSE, editing actually changes the photograph.
I also like to use LR presets; they are way easier to install than actions and they are easier to use in LR than in PSE. And, again, nothing is permanent in LR; you can always remove all the edits and viola'! you have your original photo back.

wanda
12-23-2011, 06:15 PM
The Jessica Sprague class was online....and I think it was one of her free ones.

agarzaldynrd
03-09-2012, 06:22 PM
OK, so after my weekend seminar, I've got major camera and lens envy but I did break down and bought Lightroom. AND now shooting RAW as well...gonna try that for now. I'm searching for "getting started" tutorials for LR and some for the managing of the files. I'm a little lost on that. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Precepts and Promises
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Anna, my son gave me a one-month subscription to Lynda.com for my birthday. I used it to go through the Lightroom course there, and it was very helpful.
But, just import some photos (duplicates if you'd feel better about it) and start messing around with them! Conquer the fear!
:-)

donakat
03-10-2012, 12:26 AM
I mostly use PS, but when I've got a bunch of corrections to make, I open the jpg file in Camera Raw (part of PS). That gives you a lot of the same kinds of controls that I believe Lightroom does. I've been editing for so many years in PS that it just doesn't seem worth it to change at this point and learn a new interface.