PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it. I'm Tired!!

Cherry47
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm here 9 hrs from my home taking care of my 9 month old grand daughter while her parents (my daughter and husband) are on vacation. Thank God they are coming back tomorrow. This little girl is so active. She never stops. It's an all day affair. If my husband wasn't here helping me I don't know how I could do it. He is outside taking care of the yard most of the day so it isn't help all the time. She wants to play with things that are not for babies. When her parents come back they will find that the DVD player does not work anymore, no sound. The telephone only rings on the base and there are pages torn out of recent magazines. I watch her constantly but she is so sly. I'm 54 and my daughter is 28. I went back to work 6 weeks after I had her. I don't remember it being this hard. Lord I'm tired. She is a sweetie and I love her so much but how do you younger women do it and still scrap?:wub1:

TraciJ
06-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm ... I have a child proof house!! Well, almost, anyhow! There's nothing that the girls can get into that they aren't supposed to without me really hearing it!
Plus, my little girls love to watch what I'm doing. My almost 5 year old loves to play in graphics programs already :wink:
Once the baby gets here and is MOBILE, I'm sure that I won't have as much time, but until then, I'll enjoy it!

Debra
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
That's so funny that you posted this! It is so true! I think the younger parents have more energy! And yes, childproofing is a good thing! Bless you for keeping her for so long while your DD got a (much needed, I'm sure) vacation! My parent's sure never did that for me!

ABitDaffy
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
I had to smile when I read your post! My 8 month old started crawling this weekend and I swear, she is into EVERYTHING! I don't remember it being like this with my 3-year-old. The baby is just so mischevious - I swear I'm watching her like a hawk and the next thing I know she's crawled over to the computer and started unplugging all the EHDs. I'm petrified of what it's going to be like when she starts walking! As for how you do it, I think you just eventually get used to it - just like you get used to waking up in the middle of the night to feed a baby - and yes, my baby still gets up once a night to nurse, but I think I've just adjusted to waking up at 3:30 (hey, on the bright side, it gives me a little extra time to scrap!) I think you're an awesome grandmother!

Cherry47
06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you ladies. My DD is home working on her doctorate in Computer Science and with this baby I know she is not getting much done. Brie is crawling all over the place and you have to watch her constantly. When you tell her No-No she cries. I really feel for my daughter I did not know how hard it is for her with the baby and trying to finish her education. I feel kind of responsible because I wanted her to have her baby while she was home before she started working and I also wanted her to have at least one before she turned 30 and is still healthy. We have so much cancer, HBP and all kind of diseases in our family. I'm so happy we have her but I need a vacation now.

bdjeepers
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm 64 and had the 2 year old with us for a month. By the time he left, DH said I had turned gray. Not my hair, but my face. I was never so tired in my life. He walked at 6 months, so by 2, I think he could climb Mt. Everest! At a dead run! We weren't baby-proofed either, because he was suddenly rescued by his dad, my son, from a very bad situation so no one was prepared. No clothes, no shoes, or even a spare diaper. You just do what you have to do and it has worked out wonderfully though. I get to go see him next month, and I can't wait! He'll get his very own album then! All said, it's the best thing that could have happened to him.

Helen
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've had the same question myself - how do these YOUNG girls take care of young kids and babies and still have time for scrapping! I don't know how they do it either! They must be taking some vitamins - that I would love to get my hands on. :laugh:

I'm glad I'm not the only grandmother who feels exhausted after being with the grandkids -

Barbara - Oh MY - how did you ever do it for a MONTH!

Maisie
06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm 54 too, and I'm exhausted when my nearly, 3 year old grandson leaves, after a few hours. I don't know how my daughter does it! She works full time, and takes two college classes a week. and now she's pregnant again.
Cherry, your a wonderful Mom for doing this for you daughter. I know how much she apperciates it.

ckbymommy
06-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm only 36 and my 5 year old wears me out!! With teens, even though they were only 18 months apart, so toddlers and preschoolers at the same time, I could keep up with them so much better!:goodnight:

Cherry47
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Well my daughter and her hubby are back and I finally had time to take a nap today. The baby was so happy to see her mom and dad and I was happy also. We have another week here, so I still have time to spend with her. I probably won't get a chance to scrap until I get home. It's hard trying to keep up with all my emails but I enjoy you guys so much. This is the neatest forum.

amyleigh1204
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I've got to say, it gets harder, not easier with each child. The younger ones want to keep up with the older ones!! My 21 month old has never played with baby toys. He plays with the same things that the 6 and 8 year old play with! I am only 35 and I have a hard time keeping up with him! He is asleep right now, so I am able to get a little scrapping done. Oh, the other day, my DH heard a strange sound coming from the study. When he went to check it out....the baby was sitting on his knees, up on the desk, on the keyboard of my laptop, playing with pencils, and paper, turning the monitor on the desktop off and on. He is very agile......and no damage to the laptop.

MaggieMae
06-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one - last Sunday three of our grandchildren were here with out daughter - when they left we were really tired. They had only visited for 3 hours!! I'm so glad I'm not a young mother - I don't know how they do it!!!

Cherry47
06-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I guess lots of people are going throught the same thing. My daughters father in law is keeping his 4 male grandsons 24/7 for a week. His wife works evenings and he has the boys by himself during the critical times. When I complained about being tired, I think about him and what he's going through. The four boys range from age 2 to 5. We went there yesterday and man they are a hand full. The boys parents are having the time of their life by themselves.

okblues
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I do good to keep up with our 3, ages 9, 10 & 11. When we add one of my great nieces or nephews, it gets very hectic. Glad you got to get a nap & hope things slow down a bit for you. And wow, 4 boys in that age group...I bet they are a handful!