PDA

View Full Version : How do you celebrate?? Traditions??

Amanda
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
So, I was wondering what traditions, decorations you all use for Christmas?? Do you make ornaments, gifts, decorations? Cards?
Show us your stuff here!
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/artfulpioneer/My%20smileys/christmas_animated_gifs_05.gif

criostirado
12-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Christmas is prob my most favorite time of the year!!! We havent been home for the last three Christmases (do you add an es on the end??? ANYway) We have spent ours in Fort Huachuca AZ, Fort Bliss TX and Fort Stewart GA....so THIS year we get to go home!! YAY!!!

No matter where in the world we are...we still follow the same traditions. We always decorate to within an inch of almost having TOO much glitz and glitter (is that even possible??)!!! Christmas Eve we have homemade pizza and put out the reindeer food and cookies for Santa!!!

We get up early Christmas morning to open presents...well the KIDS get up early....and then wake us up....We open presents..ohh and awww!!! Santa ALWAYS leaves a note telling us if he likes the cookies or not...last year he was apparently upset with the sugar cookies..he didnt like them sooo no sugar cookies this year!!! Then we have a big late breakfast....play with all the toys...and eat leftover pizza for dinner!!!

We also celebrat 3 Kings Day in Jan as well. My husband is from Puerto Rico...and we like to combine the traditions of both of our families for the kids!!!

Here is multiple years of my daughter putting out reindeer food! My son is old enough this year!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/data/542/medium/ChristmasCandy_criostirado_reindeerfood.jpg

Amanda
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Christina, never woulda guessed the Puerto Rican by your name, LOL!!!
Glad you are going home this year. Special!

criostirado
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Christina, never woulda guessed the Puerto Rican by your name, LOL!!!
Glad you are going home this year. Special!

Ha! I know right?? But then people thing when they see my name that I am hispanic but I am not at all!!! So alot of times people are surprised when I show up..or they start speaking spanish to me or something and Im like..ummmm yeahhhh Si...lol

Precepts and Promises
12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
We used to do the Christmas tree advent devotionals from this book,http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zQN0L92kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.
Out of that book, a friend made us this:
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/violetsnana/Christmas2010-29-1.jpg
Each day, you have a little devotional time, read a Scripture, sing a carol, and add the corresponding "ornament" to the tree, ending up with the baby Jesus on Christmas morning or Eve.
We gave our family's banner to our daughter and her family, and I made a new one for our son and his family.

I also made new PJs for Christmas Eve each year, but now that the kids are grown, I make them for The Littles. They are getting ahead of me, though; we had three children, we now have four Littles, with more due next year. :laugh:

And, our Christmas Eve "dinner" for as long as I can remember has been a spread of appetizers. I tried to change it up one year and the crew mutinied. Won't be trying that again any time soon.!

Amanda
12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
For many years, we would finish wrapping kids presents Christmas Eve and follow that with a candlelight dinner of Cornish Hens. Then the kids got older and didn't go to bed early anymore. Now we are reviving that custom.
Christmas Day has seven layer cookies and family's recipe of date nut pudding. Rich and sooo good. Can't eat it more than once a year! lol
I finally finished the first installment of our Nativity for the yard. Have wanted to do this for five years! I plan to add new pieces in the coming years- as long as we have that liberty!
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378391_10150431742975749_323889370748_8692054_2056 749568_n.jpg
Painting on particle board isn't the greatest idea-and it is difficult! But hey, we had the piece stuck in a closet, so I said let's use it! :D

britnkaysmemaw2
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
That is beautiful Amanda!

We always let the kids open one present on Christmas Eve when they were little and they have continued that tradition into adulthood. Now that we have 2 new little ones in the family again, I hope the traditions continue!

Through the years we have all had some tough times and couldn't afford to do gifts for everyone, so instead we have done things like handmade ornaments, or the best one was, handmade Christmas stockings! That year was fun and holds lots of memories. My DD (always the jokester in the family like here Dad), made my stocking out of an old tennis shoe.....The Old Woman in the Shoe!!!!!! It was so cute, I couldn't be mad at her! I really need to try and find the pics from that year to scrap don't I?

Precepts and Promises
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
For many years, we would finish wrapping kids presents Christmas Eve and follow that with a candlelight dinner of Cornish Hens. Then the kids got older and didn't go to bed early anymore. Now we are reviving that custom.
Christmas Day has seven layer cookies and family's recipe of date nut pudding. Rich and sooo good. Can't eat it more than once a year! lol
I finally finished the first installment of our Nativity for the yard. Have wanted to do this for five years! I plan to add new pieces in the coming years- as long as we have that liberty!
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378391_10150431742975749_323889370748_8692054_2056 749568_n.jpg
Painting on particle board isn't the greatest idea-and it is difficult! But hey, we had the piece stuck in a closet, so I said let's use it! :D

Amanda, would you be willing to share the recipe for the date/nut pudding???

cee
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Christmas has followed the same pattern over the last couple of years, Richard comes down from Uni and straight from work they go on Christmas Eve to pick up Grandpa and auntie Mary from Knaresborugh, they are in their 80s and 90s so dont want to think of them in their own homes on their own at christmas. They like to stay up and see christmas in, but its very hard for David who had got up for work at 5.30am and had put in a 9 hour day before the two hours of driving round trip to pick them up-= so might see if we can change that this year. Both boys lose their bedrooms to the older generation, so the lads tend to be up fairly early and we hang around waiting for Grandpa to come down, if its too late Robbie will open a present first, then after a late breakfas=its present opening time- they boys get all the pressies from under the tree and deliver them round to everyone.
christmas dinner is fairly straight forward- the turkey will already be in the oven then its sausages with bacon wrapped round them, vegs which have to include sprouts, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce. We dont do christmas pudding, its usually cheese cake. Then Gradnpa wants to watch The Queen on telly and then a relazxing tv time with a "party tea" later in the evening.

Amanda
12-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Christmas has followed the same pattern over the last couple of years, Richard comes down from Uni and straight from work they go on Christmas Eve to pick up Grandpa and auntie Mary from Knaresborugh, they are in their 80s and 90s so dont want to think of them in their own homes on their own at christmas. They like to stay up and see christmas in, but its very hard for David who had got up for work at 5.30am and had put in a 9 hour day before the two hours of driving round trip to pick them up-= so might see if we can change that this year. Both boys lose their bedrooms to the older generation, so the lads tend to be up fairly early and we hang around waiting for Grandpa to come down, if its too late Robbie will open a present first, then after a late breakfas=its present opening time- they boys get all the pressies from under the tree and deliver them round to everyone.
christmas dinner is fairly straight forward- the turkey will already be in the oven then its sausages with bacon wrapped round them, vegs which have to include sprouts, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce. We dont do christmas pudding, its usually cheese cake. Then Grandpa wants to watch The Queen on telly and then a relazxing tv time with a "party tea" later in the evening.

Your description sounds so warm and loving!

@Barbara- sure! I will dig it out. I don't make it til next week, but will be happy to share :)

"FAMILY DATE-NUT PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE"
1 c. dates, cut up
1 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
1-1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda
1 egg
Pinch of salt

CARAMEL SAUCE:

1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
Pinch of salt

Pour boiling water over dates and let cool.
Add sugar, flour, nuts, butter, vanilla, soda, egg and salt
to date mixture and blend well. Bake in a 9 x 13 inch greased
and floured pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until
toothpick comes out clean. When cool break into pieces and fold in caramel sauce.
Cook the caramel sauce until it candies. Cool before folding into date pudding;
add whipped cream when you are ready to serve.

Precepts and Promises
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Amanda, that sounds amazing! My son and I have to eat gluten-free, but I bet I can substitute another type of flour.... Yummy. Thanks!
And, Cee, your day sounds really nice!