PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite software & why for layouts and/or designing??

createdbyjill
11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
I used to be a die hard PSP user until my PC's kept crashing and went to a Mac.
Unfortunately, Corel doesn't make a Mac version so everything has to be done in Photoshop.

I see alot of you ladies using Elements and would love to hear more about it as well as any other software you use to create!

cee
11-26-2011, 05:54 AM
well i really really like DIP9 which is quite an old programme, I am reluctantly moving over to PSE8, but its so much easier to use the PSD templates than having to build up the png layers in DIP however I havent sorted text and edges in PSE8 so I tend to switch between the two programmes. I like the ease of shadowing, bevels and now I have sussed how, filling a template in PSE8, I really like text and the different edge strokes ie artistic and soft fade and transparancy in DIP9.

cascrappinggirl
11-26-2011, 06:33 AM
My first computer came with the original Adobe Image software. It was pretty easy to handle, so when my next computer came with a different image software, I had a really hard time getting acquainted with it and ended up purchasing the latest version of PSE, which was 2.0 at that time. Upgraded to 6 and hoping to be able to take advantage of the sales right now and updating to 10. What I like most is that it is so easy to use, that even I can use it.

Have had my eyes on the Photoshop CS versions, mainly, because I would like to get into digital design, but the way it looks, I can do a lot already with PSE, too, so don't need to make my life more difficult with the 'grown up version' (as I call the CS series haha).

Blessings, Heike

Amanda
11-26-2011, 07:02 AM
I am a die-hard Paint.net user, it was developed by photoshop programmers and has a few features that I feel are much easier than my PSE. I will be upgrading to version 10 this week. I like PSE for actions, and QC, and creating brushes.
ArtRage Studio Pro is my all time fav. Love what can be done there. When I am short on time, I will paint there instead of on my table, lol. There is a tracing tool that makes it really easy to take an image and make it truly your own. I like that.
For scrapping, Paint.net. Layers don't lock up there like they do in my PSE6. Maybe version 10 will eliminate that AND I will finally be able to do clipping masks!! YEAAAAA!

createdbyjill
11-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Very helpful! Adobe has Elements 10 for 50% off.....can one use it for designing as well? Do you find it an easy program?

Precepts and Promises
11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I have only used Photoshop Elements. I got PSE 6 a few years ago when I was making cards with my photographs and needed to put text on the photo. That led me to Scrapper's Guide (now Digital Scrapper) to figure out how to use it , as PSE doesn't come with a "Start Here" button! That's when I discovered digital scrapping.
I've since upgraded to PSE 8, which I really like. My husband has given me one of his old work Macs with CS5 on it, and I've dabbled in it. I really need to move over for my designing now, as there are just a few things I would love to do that I can't do in PSE.
But, I love the ease of PSE... now that I know what I'm doing. Sort of. :-)

Amanda
11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Paint.net has "Isolate Lineart" which cleanly removes white from a black & white image, LOVE that!

Precepts and Promises
11-26-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been thinking of Art Rage; what do you use it for, Amanda?

cascrappinggirl
11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Jill, Costco offeres PSE 10 for $ 49.99, plus you get 100 free 4x6" prints and some other perks and free shipping. Amazon.com also offers PSE 10 for the same $$ and free shipping (plus if you have an Amazon.com CC you can accumulate points).

From what I can tell, one should be able to design with it, too. I am right now 'playing' with my PSE 6 to design some papers and create some designs for the GDS color challenge. never done anything like this before, so it is going to be fun.

Only have been digital scrapping for almost 2 years and mainly only during winter/spring, so to me all of these things that can be done are fun to explore :)

Very helpful! Adobe has Elements 10 for 50% off.....can one use it for designing as well? Do you find it an easy program?

cascrappinggirl
11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Is it hard to learn? Looking into it right now :)

Paint.net has "Isolate Lineart" which cleanly removes white from a black & white image, LOVE that!

Amanda
11-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I've been thinking of Art Rage; what do you use it for, Amanda?

I mostly use it for creating accents, design wise. You can paint in oil, watercolor, airbrush. Draw in crayon, chalk, pen, ink, pencil. There is a forum for users just like PS has one- where you can ask questions and get add ons. I haven't done any adding to my program, I am still learning -there is so much you can do!!! Many designers say the glitter is better in this program. I like that I can add the glitter in just the spot I want. Most of Christmas Whimsy, Strokes of Christmas, and Christmas Candy were made with ArtRage Studio Pro. :)

Precepts and Promises
11-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Hummm... off to watch some videos!

britnkaysmemaw2
11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Not a designer and don't think I will ever have the patience to try, but i use PSE....I have 7 & 8, but 8 keeps losing my elements....I really want PSE 10 because it now has the capabilities of doing Text Paths. I also have CS 3, but have struggled with the learning curve for it.
Andreas classes are great and at least helped me with the basics for CS, but I still struggle with it. Maybe someday I will start the classes over again and learn more.
The one thing I do use CS 3 for is Actions, it is so easy to use them in CS, and I love using actions on photos.

DeannaJ
11-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I use pse 9--started with 3 or 4 I think, but didn't get into digi scrapping until I was on 5. Dh got me the earlier ones for fixing photos--which I never learned. :) I've had pse 6, 7, and then 9. I will wait with 10 I guess--although DH is looking for things for me for Christmas! I got 9 last year for Christmas! :)
I'm definitely never going to go into designing, so probably don't need the full photoshop program. PSE has more in it than I'll ever learn. Text paths would be nice to have though. Until I upgrade, I guess I'll just use the ones I can buy. :)

kathrynvc
11-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I learned Photoshop in college, and have stuck with it ever since. My children upgraded me to CS5 (from plain CS) last Christmas, and I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. I don't design either, except for some little things, maybe tags, and alphas, and such, but I can do just about anything in it that I want. If I don't know how, I just Bing the question, and voila! lots of answers. I have looked into Corel Paint Shop Pro because that program does some fantastic artistic things. However, I've been so busy creating layouts and correcting old photos, that I have mostly set aside my desire to 'paint'. I have done some great watercolor art in PS, using various steps, not just the watercolor filter. I have even printed on textured paper and framed some of these. They turned out beautifully. I realize it is expensive, but it is well worth it if you can get it.

kathrynvc
11-26-2011, 02:40 PM
I should have added that I find using PS for layouts is very easy, especially when using the Bridge to move papers and elements to your layout.

Amanda
11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
How wonderful to have had college courses for that! I remember that we didn't even have computers in high school, lol!

If your budget cannot reach PS right now, ArtRage Studio Pro ( there are other versions too) is much less expensive. That is part of what sold me when I was thinking about CS. :D

Amanda
11-26-2011, 02:53 PM
...Have had my eyes on the Photoshop CS versions, mainly, because I would like to get into digital design, but the way it looks, I can do a lot already with PSE, too, so don't need to make my life more difficult with the 'grown up version' (as I call the CS series haha).

Blessings, Heike

EXACTLY- for me anyways! If you are happy and creating, that is what counts! :):biggrin:

createdbyjill
11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info! Any one designing with elements??

donakat
11-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I've used Photoshop since the dark ages, just about, and have stuck with it. Also use Illustrator, and Art Rage. Barbara, Art Rage is GREAT for making glitter.