PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day ... printing your layouts

ckbymommy
05-30-2007, 09:07 AM
So, I have a question for you .... do you print your layouts? If so, do you print your own at home, take them to a kiosk or send them out. What has been your experience with with printing.

Share your views and experiences with me .....

okblues
05-30-2007, 05:42 PM
I've been printing mostly at home, a few special projects at a local print shop & then I tried the GDS print service for 12 x 12's & was amazed. I plan to print my 12 x 12's here at GDS & I'm hoping more sizes will be offered in the future.

babydoe
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I used to send mine out, but now I print them at home. I scrap in 12x12 but print in 8x8. Since I found a place to get less expensive Lexmark cartridges I find it cheaper and faster to print my own when I want them and I don't have to worry about my edges not printing. I also do quite a few 4 x 6 prints that I print on my small photo printer to make as small gift books or post cards.

KattyZak
05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, I am quite the newbie. I think I have 5 completed layouts and none are printed. I tried Costco for one but I didn't have it "done" right. I can call or review and get it right yet.
My DD, quicker to learn, printed 7 8x8 layouts because they could adjust it as needed...and they were good. I'm not sure I would say spectacular but were good.
Once I acquire a bunch of 12x12's I would like to try GSD. And if I really take to digi [hasn't happened yet] I might invest in a 12x12 printer.
Good question, Melanie!

CrayonQueen
05-31-2007, 03:39 AM
I have printed 2 whole layouts!!....:lmao: One at Costco using their one hour photo service. They don't print 12x12, but I bought an action that will take my layout and make 3 copies, (1) 12x12 and (2) 6x6 to fit on Costco's 12x18 paper. The issue I had with that was a very small portion of the 6x6 layouts got cut off.

on the other hand........

The second layout I got printed here through GDS and I have to say I love it!! The quality of the paper is fab, nothing was cut off, the colours were vibrant, and it was extremely well packaged. I would totally use the printing service here again!! :D

HollyS
05-31-2007, 04:03 AM
I have to just chime in and say that if you haven't printed anything at all, I would encourage you to do so by any means. Having your hard work in a tangible form right there in front of you is the greatest feeling! It's great to upload a layout to the gallery and have folks cheer you on and praise your work but it's also great to have it in tangible form!

bdjeepers
05-31-2007, 09:07 PM
I've printed almost all of my layouts, because that's why I make them in the first place. They all go into albums for the precious little boy I love so much, along with a letter telling him that. It is a tangible that I will someday hand to him, literally passing real family history from the oldest generation to the youngest. He won't remember many of the events I've photographed and journaled because of his age, but he'll know that he is an important part of our lives and always has been. For now, I'm making him an inexpensive 8 x 8 album that he can wear out if he wants, and it won't matter. He loves to get pictures from me in the mail, carrying them around with him all the time, so I know he'll love his little album. He'll get it for his 3rd birthday in July.

I've found a new way to make keepsake layouts and photos that I am especially fond of. I'm really excited about printing on real canvas. It's soft and supple; it is the real thing! Finished, it looks like an expensive painting and will be something else I can hand down to him. I intend to have some framed and will hang them in a prominent place. Do a Google search for Fredrix Inkjet Canvas. The company even sent me three blank sheets as a trial, and I have to tell you that I am thrilled with the result I'm getting. There are other places that sell it for far less than they do, so check it out. They make sizes from 8.5 x 11 to 17 x 22 inches in packs, but I think also in large rolls for the professional printers. I think it would be fabulous if GDS printing service also offered the big sizes that I can't print! I think they'd make fabulous gifts for parents or grandparents celebrating a special anniversary, or one for a new baby.

Print - it's the final completion of your work of love. From your mind, from your hand giving it to another, the tangible gift of it.

twirlyjoy
06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I agree - I love to print my LOs but am sadly lacking in how often I actually do! My intention is to print them all at the end of each month, but i am very behind! I tend to print loads, then have a big break b4 printing another load! Either way, i print them at 8x8 and put them in 8x8 albums. I am intending to try to make a decision as to which ones I want done, and try the printing service here at gds soon! (But I am very indecisive and it could take me a while to decie which ones to get printed on which paper!!)

wildstorm
06-01-2007, 02:19 AM
I have printed out hundreds. I make them 8x8 and buy an album to suit the person I am given it to. Did my 21 dd in April and she loved it. There was a lot of photos she didnt remember so watching her face light up was a present to me. I am lucky as I work at a camera house so get them at staff price. Means I can do the double amount. It is great to see them all printed out in an album.

podgurl
06-01-2007, 06:04 AM
i'm new to digiscrapping so i haven't printed any yet . however i do my LOs in 12 x 12 sizes but will have them printed in 8x8s.. photo printers here can only do 8 x 10 max!

i can't wait to have my LOs printed and book bound! well that is, if i can make LOs im satifisfied to be printed out

^___^

4man42
06-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I have my 12 x 12 (that's the only size I use) printed at Kwik Kopy here in Joplin. They are very reasonable and the finished product is stunning. They charge a one-time rip charge of $5.00 so I save mine up until I have quite a few to have them printed. I feel they're very reasonable.

Gran'Tia
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I am on my second wide-format printer.
I had an Epson 1280 for some years and upgraded a little over a year ago to an Epson R1800 (i hope that's right...I'm not at home right now).
I have been very pleased with the output...I was using Epson's Matte A3 - 11.7x16.5 and cutting off the excess before Epson came out with 12x12 Scrapbook Photo Paper.
I had been using PrintShop (and Word)...several months ago I found this website and several others for digi-scrapping and, WOW! So I invested in PE5 and here I am.
I found this Thread when I was trying to find suggestions for 12x12 paper other than Epson (as that's around $20 for 10 sheets!).
In doing a web search I found Red River Polar Matte 12x12 paper 60 lb - 50 sheets for $28...I'm going to try.
I'll let y'all know how it does.
I wish I could spend more time on the forums, but my dial-up at home is soooo slow and that's all that's available right now.
Thanks for all the good advice I'm finding!
Gran'Tia

smk402
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I haven't printed any yet, but I fully intend to. I am still hunting around for where I want it done when the time comes.

I am currently working on an alphabet book for my niece that I will be printing in 8x8 (though I am creating it in 12x12 - I'm going to shrink it to print it) and I need to have that finished and printed by October since it's her birthday gift. :laugh:

Debra
07-26-2007, 06:57 PM
You'll be so amazed when you do finally see your creations printed!!