PDA

View Full Version : Opinions....

CrayonQueen
05-29-2007, 04:55 AM
For those of you that edit your photographs for your layouts, how much time do you generally spend working on just the photographs? From general touch ups, to cloning out a busy BG, to converting a pic to B&W, do you have a cutoff?

I've been working on 3 pics off and on for the past 3-4 days now, and was wondering what the general consensus was on this. BTW I was doing all 3 of the above mentioned things, lol.....I'm pretty sure I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I'm just curious....... :lollypop:

TraciJ
05-29-2007, 04:57 AM
:laugh: Patty, you're too funny ... 3-4 days???
I usually spend a couple hours on the photo if I'm editing it. If it's just something simple, like a sharpen, then not too much time at all. My "dreamy" photos are what takes me the longest .... and extractions? They can go and fly out a window for all I'm concerned!!

Debra
05-29-2007, 05:00 AM
What kind of camera do you use Patty? I am using a Cannon Rebel xt dslr and don't tend to spend much time on my photos at all... I also love "virtual photographer" for getting dreamy results, etc.

ckbymommy
05-29-2007, 05:20 AM
I usually try to deal with some of that before I even take the photo (if I can, I move stuff out of the background or move the subject so the BG is nicer). If that's not possible and I can't crop out the distractions, then I will use the clone tool, but if it takes me more than 30 minutes, I usually switch to extracting the subject and replacing the background.

Extractions and basic retouching (blemishes, stray hairs, brghtening teeth) I also max out at about 30 minutes, but I also do those things for a living so may be a bit quicker at it than those that only do it occasionally.

Converting to B&W takes a couple of seconds, as long as you have the color/brightness/contrast looking decent before you try it's just a matter of desaturating. But even photos who's brightness and contrast are not exact, converting them to black and white can minimize that.

One final note, even if a photo has less than perfect composition, it's OK, it's important to remember that we are scrapbooking to preserve our lives - not our lives as we've altered them.

KattyZak
05-29-2007, 06:08 AM
I also spend very little time on the photos. Partially because I don't really know the program all that well and a few of the other things mentioned already.

yvonnew
05-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Wow Patty. That is a long time... But from what i saw last night, they really did look good.

twirlyjoy
05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
One final note, even if a photo has less than perfect composition, it's OK, it's important to remember that we are scrapbooking to preserve our lives - not our lives as we've altered them.

I quite often forget this and have been known to not use photos of a particular event cos they didn't come out particularly well. I certainly wouldn't spend days on editing pics, though I have been known to spend hours - but not often - my boredom threshold is pretty low!! lol!!

Helen
05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Depends on the photo and how I am going to use it. Varies from minutes to days. Average is about 5 minutes. Only a few go longer - if they are being used for extractions, or if I am replacing background, or doing spot coloring, or doing a lot of touch up to people's faces, etc.

The ones that would take me days are vintage photos that I am restoring
or a 'rare' photo moment that needs to be blown up.

I have found one technique on Photoshop that I have been using a lot lately....
1. duplicate the photo in a layer.
2. Apply filter - other - high pass (setting of 10) to second layer on top.
3. Change blending mode of second layer on top to soft light. (overlay and hard light also work some - but I use soft light the most).
4. Adjust the amount of blending if necessary - usually don't need to do this.
5. merge layers.

I picked this tip up somewhere in the last month and for some reason this really seems to pop the crispness and sharpens it much better than the usual sharpness, exposure, and contrast adjustments I make. I made an action out of it - since I use the steps so much. Reminds me - I'll add that to my list of freebies to share here - in case anyone wants to use it.

Bottom line - it all depends on the photo's condition, what you are going to do with the photo, and how much of a perfectionist you are.

sillyleann
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
You have more patience than me!!! I am 5 to 10 minutes tops! I am so impressed that you give it so much thought. I would scream at my computer and quit digiscrapping if I had to go through all that. :) So, kuddos for going the extra mile.

Seriously, though, I have spent a great amount of time researching and practicing my photography skills. I have found that great pictures don't need too much done to them. I also tend to be a naturalist. I want to preserve my memories as close as possible to the original shot. Even if it means a messy background, those sometimes make the best memory extraction years later; I have a Christmas photo with a distracting what-knot mess behind me. I love that photo because I remember all my mother's crazy decorating habits.

CrayonQueen
05-30-2007, 04:34 AM
lol, I guess we all know why it takes me so long to finish a layout....:head_hurts_kr: As for cameras, I don't have an SLR, just simply can't afford one....but I did get a new camera, so we'll see if that helps out with focus and what not.....and I do agree that often times, the best photographs are the ones that are less than perfect in composition, it's just fun sometimes to play around and see what else can be done......

extractions!?!?......I haven't tried an extraction yet......hmmmm.......I should go try my hand at that, it should only take me about a week or so.....:giggle:

Thanks everyone for chiming in, and thanks Helen for the PS tip!! I'll def have to try that one out as well!!!!