PDA

View Full Version : Who's home with munchkins for the summer?

Debra
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I know I can't be the only one!

If you're home with munchkins, what are you doing to keep them occupied?

Mine is here now painting her face with water colors and destroying my living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen! :wub1: :eek1:wub1::eek1

I think it's time to get outside before we both lose our minds! :laugh:

j_camargo6
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
We're all about FREE this summer....we've gone to the Splash Pad and the Reservoir, we go to the park multiple times a week, we go to storytime at the library twice a week, usually, and we get out to the petting zoo and dinosaur museum (both of which we have memberships to, so no out of pocket right now).
Nothing terribly exciting, but it definitely is key to keep them busy! I had a whole list of projects for them to learn to do, but we haven't done much...painting a room, laundry sorting and checking...one of them really wants to learn to sew and I need to get to that...sometime, LOL

I can't WAIT for school to start!

elenasworld
07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
the other day I sat thru 2 hours of fairy dusting, shimmer painting, a rainbow colored pedicure, a hair styling, several makeovers, interspersed body splashing and scents layered upon layer, upon layer.

today, i decided to take my dd out for a walk in the woods with her friend. they complained about picking flowers, wanted each others fairy wings, bumped heads while trying to claim a fairy wand, and that was in the first five minutes. It started to pick up with a trip to the drug store for $40 in poison ivy treatments, got interesting with the dog running away, hit it's peak after the third dog bath to erradicate the rolled in poop stench, and slowly started to tumble with the high pitched screeches of needing the itch medicine now.

i think tomorrow i will just stay in, and opt for a repeat fairy dusting. at least i was sitting in a comfy chair

j_camargo6
07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh, Liz, what a DAY!

britnkaysmemaw2
07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh my Liz....so hope you can relax during that fairy dusting tomorrow!
You do know I am laughing at you though, sorry! :)

Debra
07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
LOL Liz... The chair sounds like a fabulous idea!

SparkysGirl
07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Liz! Your day would make an awesome layout! I hope today is better!

tweederbug
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I am home with my monsters. We have been busy all summer until the heat wave hit .. we are staying indoors. Lastnight we decided that it was time to show the kids what Mentos candy does to a 2 liter of pop. The kids loved the volcano explosion LOL! We have made signs using fruit loops this week. Thinking that at Bible School they loved coloring shirts for their program that I will be doing that at home. They also LOVED balloonies .. wow, we have done alot. We also made a tire swing for them .. they LOVE it!

elenasworld
07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
thanks everyone!
so far today we got to the dr and got some prednisone for the poison ivy. we will be inside enjoying A/C and I am so ready for another fairy dusting

I have a few things planned -- one I got from a scrapping magazine -- making hanging jellyfish out of paper bowls and lots of ribbons and baubles.
looks easy enough and I still have all the ribbons out from our fairy wand making project -- that was super easy too (i live near 4 big craft stores)
I just picked up a pre-made wand and tiara (for 2.50) that are made of the fun foam. picked up a pack of already sticky backed felted flower and heart stickers and the girls went to town. they were so creative, i will have to post a picture of them. that took up about 1.5 hours for the girls who are five and six. then we went to the woods to run around in those outfits -- and the beginning was the best :)

a fun school project that were are going to repeat this year is to use all your scrapping papers or print out your favorite digi papers and cover a composition book. I also used my punches to get leaf and flower shapes fro the paper scraps and then did the decorating of the cover.
this year elena wants deer and owls for her theme, so we are doing the composition book, a crayon box, pencil box, and making tags for her backpack. Lucky for me I have several kits with owls and nature stuff, so I just get that ready before hand and then she can decorate away.

Anybody make a paper bag album?
those are super easy and inexpensive when you use lunchbags you already have.

We have also made little houses for the zoobles and squinkies using my digi-stash.

(i am trying to convince my dh that I need one of those electronic cutting machines -- so many ideas and projects i could do)

webdesignmom
07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Mine aren't actually munchkins at ages 10 and 14. We have been keeping busy with watching our local baseball team, trips for ice cream, and our local theater has been showing kids movies for only a dollar but of course they are movies that are a year or two old but who cares.

My 10 year old is also taking golf lessons. My 14 year old went to camp with his boy scout troop and next week he will be going to band camp.

Debra
07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
oh my goodness... it's so great to hear you all's stories!

Sheila..LOL on the mentos volcano!

wish we had $1.00 movies... Holly was here visiting and we took 4 of our kids to see Harry Potter Final movie and it cost us over $75.00 bucks...and we shared 1 tub of popcorn (with a free refill..lol) and snuck candy in! shhh....

Hannah's doing VBS next week for the mornings and then we'll be heading to the pool in the afternoons...

Thank goodness her big sister is such a sweetie and took her to the carnival tonight so I could be here with you sweet ladies and get some work done! :)

HollyS
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Nice to hear how others are surviving the summer with kids home! I have a full-time job that I have to juggle with kids home....it's so much fun but I don't have much hair left.

I haven't had any time to myself at all except for a short business trip where I just stressed the whole time! So shhhh, don't tell anyone but this afternoon I had a dr. appt and hubby was home early for work so after the dr. appt, i just sat at starbucks and enjoyed an iced coffee and read. Finally some time by myself!

If you haven't looked into it in your area, take a look at kidsbowlfree.com!