PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco place to stay

6grand
07-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello fellow scrappers,

this question is not related to digi scrapping at all...so I hope this is forum to post in...

My family (7 adults and 5 kids) will be travelling to San Francisco, mid October of 2011, to cheer on my husband and daughter as they run in the Nike marathon.We have never been to SF and I am wondering if anyone living in the area could recommend places to stay. Hotel, motel, B&B we are open to anything - even looking for house rentals.

We would like to be central enough to take the kids to the zoo, aquarium and any other attractions geared to 2-5 year olds.

ps: Husband and daughter are running to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada and are part of the TNT (Team in Training) that provide training for a race.

We are so looking forward to visiting what everyone tells us is a beautiful city.

Thanks,
Renee

donakat
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
You'll love SF, Renee, it's a beautiful city with so much to do and see! The nice thing about SF is that you can get around on buses and trolleycars just about everywhere. Driving a car around town is tough, though, because parking is not simple or plentiful, and costs a lot, and gas stations are not that easy to find. There are lots of great downtown hotels that will put you in the middle of things, and you can trolley all along the city routes. Buy a weekly pass if you're going to be there for more than a day so you can have hassle-free riding.

The Zoo and Aquarium are out in Golden Gate Park, quite a ways from downtown, but at least parking out there is better. A great side trip would be across the GG Bridge to Sausalito--a beautiful town with lots of shopping! Careful of the parking situation there, too. I speak from experience, having received several parking tickets on my last trip to SF and Sausalito.

There are B&Bs around, but again, the parking situation is dicey. That might be a great deal for you with so many people in your group. Have a great trip!

6grand
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
You'll love SF, Renee, it's a beautiful city with so much to do and see! The nice thing about SF is that you can get around on buses and trolleycars just about everywhere. Driving a car around town is tough, though, because parking is not simple or plentiful, and costs a lot, and gas stations are not that easy to find. There are lots of great downtown hotels that will put you in the middle of things, and you can trolley all along the city routes. Buy a weekly pass if you're going to be there for more than a day so you can have hassle-free riding.

The Zoo and Aquarium are out in Golden Gate Park, quite a ways from downtown, but at least parking out there is better. A great side trip would be across the GG Bridge to Sausalito--a beautiful town with lots of shopping! Careful of the parking situation there, too. I speak from experience, having received several parking tickets on my last trip to SF and Sausalito.

There are B&Bs around, but again, the parking situation is dicey. That might be a great deal for you with so many people in your group. Have a great trip!

Thanks Donakat. I REALLY appreciate your reply with so many helpful hints. We are 50/50 on a car rental so this was great information - great tip on the bus pass too. Sausalito, by ferry, is definitely on our 'to do' list probably a day trip for Ken and I without the grandkids!
I have one question if I may...is there a zoo in Golden Gate Park? We can locate the aquarium but not the zoo or is it the one further down the coast?
Thanks so much, truly appreciated,
Renee

donakat
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry, Renee, I misremembered. The Zoo is actually a bit south of the park, just off the Great Highway on the extreme western edge of the city. Here's (http://www.sfgov.org/site/frame.asp?u=http://www.sfzoo.org) the website for information.
Hope you have fun.