PDA

View Full Version : My backup story...

Andrea
05-23-2011, 04:36 PM
So, we all know about the importance of backups. I just switched my computer around and hadn't gotten a full backup done on the new system for a few months (I know, that's real bad). Anyway, had the feeling last night to make it a priority. So, I hooked up the new backup drive which I had purchased a few months ago but never got around to backing up. Ran the backup all night. This was on all of my scrapbooking pages, photos, digital kits, templates...everything critical.

Today, I went to plugged in my working drive and my data was gone...all of my scrapbooking, kits, templates, and store products. I about had a heart attack thinking about the last full backup I had done a few months ago and everything I would be missing if the new backup hadn't been successful. I don't know what happened but the backup I did last night saved me. I love those little promptings. You have to listen to them. I just wanted to remind everyone how important backups are. :wink:

britnkaysmemaw2
05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
So glad you were saved Andrea. I have had a mishap and learned to back up often!

Darlene Currie
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Oh Andrea, that is scary! Thank goodness you trusted your instincts. I always try to do that and when I don't, something happens and I say, "If only you'd trusted those instincts!" Thank goodness!

elenasworld
05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I am so glad that it was not a disaster for you! I think we have all felt that gut wrenching feeling, at some point.

Since switching to my new laptop, I haven't done a full back up of it, but I am going to this weekend. Even a few months of lost "stuff" can be devestating.

thanks for reminding us how important backing up is

donakat
05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Oh boy, that little voice really saved you, Andrea! I gotta learn to listen more often...

Debra
05-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh boy, that little voice really saved you, Andrea! I gotta learn to listen more often...

Ditto Here!

Thanks Andrea for the reminder :tee:

... now feeling a bit paranoid too :eek1

Andrea
05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
My hubby is an IT guy and he always tells me that I should have three backups and one should go with me in my purse in case our house burns down. :laugh:

Ditto Here!

Thanks Andrea for the reminder :tee:

... now feeling a bit paranoid too :eek1

Digi Deborah
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I scheduled mine to backup every night. I've recently moved a bunch of files and now I'm stuck with the backup going on... and on... and on... Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Andrea
06-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Mine does that too. It's annoying. I've gotten a little better time with my eSATA backup but then than one isn't portable.

I scheduled mine to backup every night. I've recently moved a bunch of files and now I'm stuck with the backup going on... and on... and on... Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Digi Deborah
06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I've had Mozy for the last two years, but I'm going to need to switch to Backblaze over the summer and I'm NOT looking forward to that. I have a 500GB hard drive and a 1TB EHD so I'm thinking it'll be going on for weeks!

bombalurina59
06-09-2011, 02:36 AM
I probably don't have half the amount of supplies yet that you guys have but still, even a month's loss would be an absolute desaster! I try to listen to my inner voice, nagging me about back-up and if I don't DH is there to take over.....:):) I'll try to have a fixed day every week when I do my back-up - let's see whether I stick to it....

Hugs

agarzaldynrd
06-09-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm so excited!! I bought a new external hd-1 tb to hook up to the time machine feature on my new MacBook. Finally got it to work and now I have a back up system that works automatically!! Along with my Mozy account, I hope I never lose my stuff!!!

mcspice
06-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I have two external hard-drives almost full - - I need another really big external drive!

dblack67
06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
There are angels among us!

I have the same kind of story...last Sunday night before going to bed I decided to do a backup. Took about a half hour. When I was done, I shut the computer down and went to bed. In the morning after getting my youngest to school, I turned the computer on, went to make coffee, came back to the computer and...nothing. The computer must have just gave up the ghost when I shut it done. LOL! Anyway, took it to the computer guy who said nothing could be done, that the hard drive died. I can't believe I was so lucky! Unheard of that I actually had all my information on the backup drive AND backed-up to the millisecond! Wow! On my previous computer I didn't have a backup drive available and lost over 2 years of information. Swore I'd never do that again!

I now have a great new laptop instead of a desktop, so I can be ultra portable too! I am currently transferring all the old files to my new laptop and I'm so happy!

BACKUP now, BACKUP often! I use a Western Digital (WD) My Book Essential HDD 2TB backup drive. It plugs in via USB. You have the option to let it determine what to back up or you can also just drag and drop your files. It sets up like another drive on your computer and is accessible just like the computer's hard drive right in Windows Explorer. Totally awesome!

triciacurtis
06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
For those of you that haven't heard of Time Capsule, it's another FABULOUS Apple product that automatically backs up ALL your files (unless you say to exclude certain folders) hourly, keeps the most recent 24 hour backups, then daily until the disk is full. It is an essential product for all you Mac users, and I believe it works with the Windows computers as well.

agarzaldynrd
06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm currently using this Tricia. I do have a couple of questions about it but it seems to be doing what I need it to do.