PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

agarzaldynrd
04-09-2011, 05:51 AM
OK, went over to the dark side and got a new mac book pro. I think I'm eventually going to love it but I'm trying to finish up our ADSR lo and I'm going nuts. Gonna finish it on the pc if nothing else. OK, now I have lots of questions. When I open up my CS5 I have set up my workspace but the middle, the actual space for the lo, is not there. I can see my desktop picture. Why? Also, got the magic mouse and it is just not working for me.

elenasworld
04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
congrats Anna!~
I know how you feel. My laptop died and I am using my dh's mac -- he wants me to convert to a mac and I am finding the little things the hardest to deal with -- like the transparent background for your workspace...ugggh

good luck!

donakat
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Well, Anna, congrats! You will grow to love it. As for the mouse, I don't actually like the magic mouse and have bought a third-party mouse I prefer. As for your workspace in CS5, I assume it's like CS4, so take the advice with that caveat. You can set up whatever workspace you like to use (I like the transparent one, so I can quickly switch to the Finder or whatever just by clicking with the mouse) and save the workspace as a default. So set up whatever panels you want showing, the toolbar, and the settings (like Full Screen with Menu Bar--from the View Menu) then save your workspace (Window menu--Workspace--Save) and use your name or something like that. There are some default workspaces available that you can check out (also under the Window menu) to see what works for you.

But, the thing you and Liz are wanting--a gray background--is what you get from setting up the Full Screen with Menu Bar from the View Menu.

Darlene Currie
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Congrats Anna - it wont' be long and you'll be loving it.

agarzaldynrd
04-09-2011, 02:39 PM
OK, I'll vent here so Neal won't know it's driving me crazy!! I've wanted to switch out for awhile and now, I want to go back to my familiar pc. SHORTCUTS!!! like cut and paste....what keys? selecting more than one picture..got that one but can't figure out how to click on the first picture and the last one and get all in between!!

I love my mac, I love my mack, I love my mac....maybe soon I'll believe it.

agarzaldynrd
04-09-2011, 05:56 PM
OK, next question...
When I look at my files to open papers or elements, on my pc the files have a little picture on the cover so that you can see a preview of what is in the folder. Is there any way to do that on a Mac?

DavisChronicles
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
OK, I'll vent here so Neal won't know it's driving me crazy!! I've wanted to switch out for awhile and now, I want to go back to my familiar pc. SHORTCUTS!!! like cut and paste....what keys? selecting more than one picture..got that one but can't figure out how to click on the first picture and the last one and get all in between!!

Hi Anna!
So excited for you!! Once you get used to it, you'll LOVE it!!
Here are some shortcuts for you:
cut: command x
copy: command c
paste: command v
:biggrin:

DavisChronicles
04-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Oh, and to select all of the files inbetween, don't press the shift key.
Use your mouse kindof like you would to crop something.
left click in a corner ( next to the file, in the white space ) and
drag your mouse over the files you want. It selects everything in the box you just made.
The box will disappear when you release the mouse, but the files stay selected! :biggrin:

donakat
04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Anna, if you want the folder to show a preview, double-click on the preview jpg and it'll probably open in preview, then select all (Command-A) and copy (Command-C). Close that file and go back to the finder. Highlight the folder and get info (Command-i) then click on the little folder at the top left of the info box and paste (Command-V).

One of the very best things about Macs is that virtually all of the most-used shortcuts are universal through all the major applications, such as the ones I used above, and the quit (Command-Q) command, close window (Command-W), save (Command-S). If only Photoshop and Illustrator used some of the same shortcuts for their commands, life would be close to perfect!!

DavisChronicles
04-09-2011, 09:24 PM
OK, next question...
When I look at my files to open papers or elements, on my pc the files have a little picture on the cover so that you can see a preview of what is in the folder. Is there any way to do that on a Mac?

I actually haven't tried to figure this one out yet, but here's what I have been doing...
I have found it easier and faster to find what I need in Finder, having the preview at the top set to the columns. And since it doesn't have that preview picture ( unless you are in iphoto ) go into the file and click on a picture and hit the spacebar. A quick preview pops right up! Or you can right-click it and choose quick look.
I'm now so used to hitting that spacebar that not having that preview no longer bugs me. :biggrin:

DavisChronicles
04-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Anna, if you want the folder to show a preview, double-click on the preview jpg and it'll probably open in preview, then select all (Command-A) and copy (Command-C). Close that file and go back to the finder. Highlight the folder and get info (Command-i) then click on the little folder at the top left of the info box and paste (Command-V).

One of the very best things about Macs is that virtually all of the most-used shortcuts are universal through all the major applications, such as the ones I used above, and the quit (Command-Q) command, close window (Command-W), save (Command-S). If only Photoshop and Illustrator used some of the same shortcuts for their commands, life would be close to perfect!!

I'm going to try this! Thanks Dona! :biggrin:

elenasworld
04-10-2011, 04:33 AM
what great tips!
finder takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so easy to switch between the preview views

the other thing that took some getting used to for me was dragging my camera card to the trash -- that whole fear of deleting it all -- but Eject does come up.

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2011, 05:12 AM
what great tips!
finder takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so easy to switch between the preview views

the other thing that took some getting used to for me was dragging my camera card to the trash -- that whole fear of deleting it all -- but Eject does come up.

I KNOW!!! That just freaks me out!

Ladies, thanks for all the tips. I feel like I haven't been able to finish one lo this weekend when weekends are my scrapping time. I don't want to go to my pc because I just need to practice. I know I'm going to love this but it will take some getting used to. Again, thanks and keep it coming if you can think of anything else!! I'm sure using google A LOT!!

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2011, 05:18 AM

Dona, it worked!!!! It will take forever to do this but I live by the previews since I've also never learned how to tag my materials....next on my list!! Thanks again.

Darlene Currie
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Anna - when I upgraded my computer a while back, I went to the Apple sight and watched some tutorials. They explain an awful lot. If you want to get to know the keyboard shortcuts, here's a page where they list most of them:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks Darlene! I've been watching a few videos both on this site and on stuff I found on Google.

Next question...when I go to save I only get one option. PC location then file Mac-location only?? Is there are way to go to the different files?

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2011, 01:32 PM
OK, I got the filing system under control!!!

triciacurtis
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side!!

We switched over a while ago, and now have EVERYTHING Mac, and I mean everything, except for my Mouse - I just need more buttons!

One or two books that I would recommend for you, and I have the first one on hand in standby mode for when I have that random question. It's a very intuitive and easy to find/figure out operating system, once you figure out the basics. But check out these books, they should be in your local bookstore. And in case you are using a previous version and not Snow Leopard, the books are available in earlier OS versions, you'll just have to do a search. Links below are to Amazon - just so you know what the book looks like and a brief overview.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Snow-Leopard-Missing/dp/0596153287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302825128&sr=8-1)

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, the Snow Leopard Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Manual-Leopard/dp/0596804253/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302825128&sr=8-2).

The Missing Manual books are great and they have a ton of topics, even Photoshop CS5 (http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-CS5-Missing-Lesa-Snider/dp/1449381685/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1302825128&sr=8-11)!

agarzaldynrd
04-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks for all the helpful tips. Tricia, I haven't purchased the books but I may have to...lots of questions!

Next ??? I'm working on showing previews the way Dona explained and although I need to do this for my own sanity, it is time consuming and I, as most of us do, have TONS of materials!!! I love that I have a great stash but I'm finding that I'm using the same stuff over and over again. As I work through Dona's process, I'm finding kits that I just love and have overlooked.

Do you all tag/label your material for the ease of finding things? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks for all your help!!

triciacurtis
04-17-2011, 07:18 AM
You're Welcome, Anna!

As for the folder preview icons, I have also tried this but it is very time-consuming, and the preview is so tiny - it would be nice if it was enlarged in the Bridge preview. I use Bridge all the time, but no tags - if there is something specific I am looking for and I know the name, you can type in the search menu on top, and expand the folder selection to locate if you are having trouble finding it. Otherwise, I have things sorted by categories in different folders. With subcategories and sub-folders.

Like the kits - I have an Art Kits folder, and in the Art Kits folder is the separate Art Kits and their previews so I can quickly go to the correct folder.

You just have to find what works best for you for organizing.

If you have Lightroom - you can import the JPG previews and tag those, and then find them easily.

Darlene Currie
04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
I use Bridge all the time too - couldn't live without it. I organize my kits by the stores, then the designers. When I purchase a new kit, I have a folder I created called "Kit Previews". I put a copy of each kit in there. That way, if I'm looking for something, I'll look at the kit previews quickly and then know where to go to find the whole kit. It works for me anyway.

landofoz
04-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I use Bridge all the time too - couldn't live without it. I organize my kits by the stores, then the designers. When I purchase a new kit, I have a folder I created called "Kit Previews". I put a copy of each kit in there. That way, if I'm looking for something, I'll look at the kit previews quickly and then know where to go to find the whole kit. It works for me anyway.

Hi darlene , i use acdsee because i didnt know how to organize my kits in Bridge ? Do we have a tutorial? A:confused:lso i cant understand and dont know what is the difference in a Mac and a PC?

donakat
04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Anna, unfortunately, tagging and titling is just a necessary, time-consuming bit of housekeeping that needs to be done. I don't bother with tags, just make sure the name of the element is appropriate so I can search in Bridge or the Finder for that word in the file name. For example, for ADSR we had to use a chipmunk, so I was relying on having either a designer's appropriate name for the file, or my own housekeeping having given that name. I found only one in my stash, which is huge, so I was glad for not having to extract one.

Many designers are really nice to have appropriately named their files (or tagged them) so we can search and find. Many others only give the file names something like "element 1...2...3..." etc. A major hassle to have to rename all the elements in a kit, but if you do it when you unzip and put the kit away, you will always be able to find what you want.

I use generic names like flower, leaf, tree, ribbon, bow, etc. then do the search in Bridge when you're in a folder and you will search all files in that folder and subfolders. So, I can find all the flowers in all the kits (that I have) by all the designers at GDS, by having the GDS main folder open when I do the search. That's for my system, as I sort first by store, then by designer, then in folders for each kit, with separate folders for papers and elements. Other people use other systems.

It's great you're getting to learn how to do things that suit your organization system right off the bat. It will certainly help you learn your new computer's way of doing things!

landofoz
04-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Anna, unfortunately, tagging and titling is just a necessary, time-consuming bit of housekeeping that needs to be done. I don't bother with tags, just make sure the name of the element is appropriate so I can search in Bridge or the Finder for that word in the file name. For example, for ADSR we had to use a chipmunk, so I was relying on having either a designer's appropriate name for the file, or my own housekeeping having given that name. I found only one in my stash, which is huge, so I was glad for not having to extract one.

Many designers are really nice to have appropriately named their files (or tagged them) so we can search and find. Many others only give the file names something like "element 1...2...3..." etc. A major hassle to have to rename all the elements in a kit, but if you do it when you unzip and put the kit away, you will always be able to find what you want.

I use generic names like flower, leaf, tree, ribbon, bow, etc. then do the search in Bridge when you're in a folder and you will search all files in that folder and subfolders. So, I can find all the flowers in all the kits (that I have) by all the designers at GDS, by having the GDS main folder open when I do the search. That's for my system, as I sort first by store, then by designer, then in folders for each kit, with separate folders for papers and elements. Other people use other systems.

It's great you're getting to learn how to do things that suit your organization system right off the bat. It will certainly help you learn your new computer's way of doing things!

Donna , i have just read your post ! i was using Acdsee ,and tonight i lost every thing . this has happened before , anyhow i would like to know how do you go about tagging or whatever in Bridge please ?:eek1

regards maggie

donakat
04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Maggie,
In Bridge you can either tag files or rename them. I just use the renaming, as many of the items come from the designer already named. I also use Name Mangler to help with the renaming business on a batch basis (good for getting the names consistent).

To rename a file in Bridge, just click once on the file to highlight it, then again on the name to highlight that, and change it. To tag a file in Bridge, you use Keywords. There's a Keyword panel that you add to your workspace view (see the Window menu). Once in the Keywords panel, you can see there are some categories that are defaults (Events--Birthday, Graduation, Wedding), etc. that you can use to tag your photos. So, first you need to add the various keywords you want to use, then assign them to the files. For example, you might want to tag scrap supplies with a general name like flower, then a color in addition (separate keywords).

Thereafter you can search through a whole designer's stash with one query, which is done from the "Find" located under the arrow at the top of the Keywords Panel. Or even look within a particular store site, such as GDS, for any element matching your query among all the designers at a particular store. That is only, of course, if you've set up your organization system in that particular way: Store--Designer--Kits. If your system is different, you will search differently. If you've got designers who sell in multiple stores, you might then have to add the designer's name to the keyword search.

The renaming scheme (which I use) has the additional advantage of being Finder-friendly; you can search for things in the Finder (Mac specific technique here) without needing Bridge open. If you've got the Finder showing the icons in list view, you will even be able to see a little preview in the Find results screen.

Hope this helps, Maggie. Do whatever suits your organization scheme and is easiest for you.

britnkaysmemaw2
04-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh Dona, do I wish we lived closer so I could have you show me how to do all this! I keep telling myself I really need to organize my HUGE stash.
I have a basic organization, but really need to go more in depth.
When looking for that Chipmunk! I sure got to know my files better during that search, lol.
Organization is now on my to do list, LOL

agarzaldynrd
04-30-2011, 04:41 AM
i agree with Cathy. With this new computer....don't get me wrong, I love it....but my basic filing is killing me. I'm doing what you suggested and putting a preview on the front of the folder and it is going to take me until the end of the year to do all the files!!! Anybody visiting Texas soon??

landofoz
04-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Anyone Visiting Australia! Lol

landofoz
04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
ok i thought i would like to give this a try in Bridge.
I opened a kit, chose the preview and clicked on the paper (preview) and the first thing it said was cannot store XMP metadata
Help!!

agarzaldynrd
05-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Maggie, I've also tried bridge but I can't figure out how to put multiple items on my layout from bridge. Any ideas out there?

landofoz
05-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Maggie, I've also tried bridge but I can't figure out how to put multiple items on my layout from bridge. Any ideas out there?

anna , this is what happened to me as i am using Bridge since Acdsee not working, i wanted a few elements onto my layout.
EG i highlighted 3 and only saw 1 on the page, when this happens each time i clicked on the box to accept the next one came in and landed on the layout...:rolleyes1:

agarzaldynrd
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
ok Maggie but how did you get the first one on? Thanks for your response. Trying to use all the tools I have since they are there to help us...right??
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

britnkaysmemaw2
05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
LOL....Anna....I am so glad I am not the only one who is lost on the first step! ROFLMBO!!!!!!

I have NO clue where to even start!

agarzaldynrd
05-01-2011, 02:43 PM
You would think that as long as we have been doing this we would at least know the first step to this!! Even worse, I think I took a class that had this in it!!

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

LOL....Anna....I am so glad I am not the only one who is lost on the first step! ROFLMBO!!!!!!

I have NO clue where to even start!

donakat
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Maggie, if you want to open multiple items at the same time, you can, but you can't *place* multiple items onto a page (at the same time) in Photoshop from Bridge--you have to do it one at a time. Here's some different ways to do things:

1. Open a new layout blank page. Highlight one file in Bridge, go to the Bridge menu, File--Place--in Photoshop. It will place the file as a Smart Object for you to accept by clicking on the checkmark in top grey bar. You can proceed to do multiple files like this, one at a time. Each will go in as a Smart Object which can be resized at will with no loss of resolution--good when you don't know how big it needs to be in the final layout. Once you've got it at final size, just rasterize the layer.

2. Double-click on one or more files in Bridge; they will all open as separate files in Photoshop. If you click on a different kind of document (text file or pdf file, for example) it will open in your text reader or Adobe Acrobat Reader, respectively. Click on an Illustrator file and it will open in Illustrator. You can then drag it over to your layout page, but it will have a generic name, such as layer 3, etc.

3. Select more than one file in Bridge; go to the Bridge menu bar and choose Tools--Photoshop--Load files into Photoshop layers. This will open all the files in one document (the size of the largest item), in separate layers. The nice thing about this command is that each layer is named the same as the element/paper name--a good way to keep track of what you've put on the layout. However, it's not going to put the various layers into a document you've already got open, but you could highlight all those layers in the new document and drag them to the layout doc; they'll all be named correctly and all in the same order. If you were to open a 12x12 paper and a number of elements with this method, you'd have a 12x12 layout doc with all the layers named as they were in the kit.

I don't know exactly what was meant by the error message you got from clicking on the preview; they're generally just a jpg file which opens naturally in Photoshop. You may have to check your preferences to see how you've got things in File Type Associations (which application is set to open the various file types).

britnkaysmemaw2
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
You would think that as long as we have been doing this we would at least know the first step to this!! Even worse, I think I took a class that had this in it!!

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

I know! When you figure it out, please share with me! LOL

agarzaldynrd
05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Maggie, if you want to open multiple items at the same time, you can, but you can't *place* multiple items onto a page (at the same time) in Photoshop from Bridge--you have to do it one at a time. Here's some different ways to do things:

1. Open a new layout blank page. Highlight one file in Bridge, go to the Bridge menu, File--Place--in Photoshop. It will place the file as a Smart Object for you to accept by clicking on the checkmark in top grey bar. You can proceed to do multiple files like this, one at a time. Each will go in as a Smart Object which can be resized at will with no loss of resolution--good when you don't know how big it needs to be in the final layout. Once you've got it at final size, just rasterize the layer.

2. Double-click on one or more files in Bridge; they will all open as separate files in Photoshop. If you click on a different kind of document (text file or pdf file, for example) it will open in your text reader or Adobe Acrobat Reader, respectively. Click on an Illustrator file and it will open in Illustrator. You can then drag it over to your layout page, but it will have a generic name, such as layer 3, etc.

3. Select more than one file in Bridge; go to the Bridge menu bar and choose Tools--Photoshop--Load files into Photoshop layers. This will open all the files in one document (the size of the largest item), in separate layers. The nice thing about this command is that each layer is named the same as the element/paper name--a good way to keep track of what you've put on the layout. However, it's not going to put the various layers into a document you've already got open, but you could highlight all those layers in the new document and drag them to the layout doc; they'll all be named correctly and all in the same order. If you were to open a 12x12 paper and a number of elements with this method, you'd have a 12x12 layout doc with all the layers named as they were in the kit.

I don't know exactly what was meant by the error message you got from clicking on the preview; they're generally just a jpg file which opens naturally in Photoshop. You may have to check your preferences to see how you've got things in File Type Associations (which application is set to open the various file types).

Oh Dona, you are my hero!! I LOVE #3 above. So perfect. I just did this and I like it so much better than what I was doing!!! You are the best!

donakat
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Glad to help, Anna!

landofoz
05-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I only found this by chance, Yes it does work i just tried it again.

1. open a new file in Photoshop cs5
2. Open Bridge and drag it over onto the photoshop page ,2 screens tick the grey box
3. highlight 3 elements in Bridge drag the 3 items onto the layout and one will appear, tick the grey box again and another will appear they also become smart objects.

as i said i dont know if this is only in CS5 good luck:popcorn:

landofoz
05-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Donna, thanks for your input ,2heads are better than 1 or do i mean 3 lol
i just tried method 3 and that is also very useful especially since the files are named Thanks again.im going away for a week so i have practised too much Also waiting on word back From Acdsee! glad im not holding my breath

donakat
05-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I only found this by chance, Yes it does work i just tried it again.

1. open a new file in Photoshop cs5
2. Open Bridge and drag it over onto the photoshop page ,2 screens tick the grey box
3. highlight 3 elements in Bridge drag the 3 items onto the layout and one will appear, tick the grey box again and another will appear they also become smart objects.

as i said i dont know if this is only in CS5 good luck:popcorn:

Yes, Maggie, you're apparently using MiniBridge, which is only available in CS5. Since I have CS4, I can't use it (boohoo).

agarzaldynrd
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Very cool Maggie!! Thanks!

landofoz
05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I need help , i removed ACdsee and i thought i will continue with Bridge ,now my downloads have a winzip file , how do i open them?
can i open them in Bridge or some other way

thanks maggie

donakat
05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Maggie, see my answer in the other thread where you asked this.

landofoz
05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
ok i thought i would like to give this a try in Bridge.
I opened a kit, chose the preview and clicked on the paper (preview) and the first thing it said was cannot store XMP metadata
Help!!
Fixed that problem:blahblah:

landofoz
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Maggie,
In Bridge you can either tag files or rename them. I just use the renaming, as many of the items come from the designer already named. I also use Name Mangler to help with the renaming business on a batch basis (good for getting the names consistent).

To rename a file in Bridge, just click once on the file to highlight it, then again on the name to highlight that, and change it. To tag a file in Bridge, you use Keywords. There's a Keyword panel that you add to your workspace view (see the Window menu). Once in the Keywords panel, you can see there are some categories that are defaults (Events--Birthday, Graduation, Wedding), etc. that you can use to tag your photos. So, first you need to add the various keywords you want to use, then assign them to the files. For example, you might want to tag scrap supplies with a general name like flower, then a color in addition (separate keywords).

Thereafter you can search through a whole designer's stash with one query, which is done from the "Find" located under the arrow at the top of the Keywords Panel. Or even look within a particular store site, such as GDS, for any element matching your query among all the designers at a particular store. That is only, of course, if you've set up your organization system in that particular way: Store--Designer--Kits. If your system is different, you will search differently. If you've got designers who sell in multiple stores, you might then have to add the designer's name to the keyword search.

The renaming scheme (which I use) has the additional advantage of being Finder-friendly; you can search for things in the Finder (Mac specific technique here) without needing Bridge open. If you've got the Finder showing the icons in list view, you will even be able to see a little preview in the Find results screen.

Hope this helps, Maggie. Do whatever suits your organization scheme and is easiest for you.

Yes dona i have started tagging , now i wish iwas not going on holiday lol:gogo:

agarzaldynrd
06-10-2011, 04:44 AM
OK, new question!!

I've noticed that I now have many little greyish rectangular box type things that have the letters "exec" on the top left hand corner. I'm assuming this is some type of file. What is it and can I delete them???

agarzaldynrd
06-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Another new one!! This one is for Dona!

I've been putting a preview pic on my files and I don't know if I'll ever finish but I find it easier to find my stuff. My problem is that some of the pictures are really very clear and some are hazy, unclear. Why is that and what am I doing wrong?

donakat
06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Anna,
That exec file is for PC users only. Just delete!

As for the previews, if you're using my technique (discussed earlier) for preview pics attached to folders, the quality will vary with the resolution and size of the image you have copied for the preview. So, if it's a real small jpg image at 72 dpi, it will be blurry and not so great.

However, the previews that get attached to files automatically from Photoshop (check your preferences settings) should all look pretty great.

agarzaldynrd
06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Anna,
That exec file is for PC users only. Just delete!

As for the previews, if you're using my technique (discussed earlier) for preview pics attached to folders, the quality will vary with the resolution and size of the image you have copied for the preview. So, if it's a real small jpg image at 72 dpi, it will be blurry and not so great.

However, the previews that get attached to files automatically from Photoshop (check your preferences settings) should all look pretty great.

Dona,
Do you open the preview in ps and change the image size then go through the process you explained?

donakat
06-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Dona,
Do you open the preview in ps and change the image size then go through the process you explained?

You can do that, but it probably will not get you a better image if it's already been sized down. In most kits, there will be a preview that's 600x600 pixels, 72dpi. That's the one you should use. Anything smaller is going to be insufficient for your folder preview. So just open that 600x600 preview in the "Preview" application, select all, copy, and then open the folder with "Get Info", click on the icon, and paste!