PDA

View Full Version : For those with kids...

Debra
05-21-2007, 05:09 AM
It's almost summer time and my 5 year old is outta pre-k for the summer... There are so many choices, vacations, swimming lessons, camp...

Just wondering what your plans are for the summer with your munchkin(s)?

tborntreger
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM
Lots of day or weekend trips close to home! Omaha zoo, Thomas the Train and friends in Baldwin City KS, maybe STL....it's so hard to go on real vacations with three toddlers! Any suggestions on making travelling with two 3 year olds and a 1 year old? LOL

gigichet
05-21-2007, 05:25 AM
we just planted a huge garden on Saturday so I know where I will be spending a lot of time...weeding, watering, and the best part picking all of the wonderful veggies...yum
So this is what my 3 year old grandson and I wil be doing...

TraciJ
05-21-2007, 05:27 AM
I think that most of y'all know where I'll be this summer :laugh: Up until July, I'll be miserable .. then I'll be taking care of a newborn for the rest of it!! No outings for me this year!

mosser77
05-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Lots of day or weekend trips close to home! Omaha zoo, Thomas the Train and friends in Baldwin City KS, maybe STL....it's so hard to go on real vacations with three toddlers! Any suggestions on making travelling with two 3 year olds and a 1 year old? LOL

I came across this post for traveling with toddlers on an airplane, but a lot of the ideas would work in the car too. Creative things I'd never thought about!
http://2boysseattlemama.blogspot.com/2007/05/works-for-me-wednesday-occupy-toddler.html

ckbymommy
05-21-2007, 07:03 AM
My 5 year old's preschool goes through the summer - tuesdays and thursdays for 4 hours (plus another 20 minutes each may on the bus) But we are already scheduling playdates and park/zoo/botanic garden/museum days with our friends. We have a 16ft round above ground pool and a friend who's mom's neighborhood had a really nice pool, so those will both definately be on the schedule. We also have a travel trailer, and even though the gas prices kinda prohibit a long road trip, we will make some shorter trips around Colorado!

yvonnew
05-21-2007, 07:07 AM
This is a good idea to post questions like this on here. My kids are older though, so I am at a complete loss of ideas

twirlyjoy
05-21-2007, 07:10 AM
No major plans - I love the fact that a lot of my girls friends live nearby, on the same street, so they will spend lots of time hanging out with them. Also planning a long weekend away with my dad, brothers and SIL, although not sure where yet. Are hoping to spend a week with a friend of mine down in Devon too (she is a teacher so has time off over the holidays! The girls' dance school also does a week-long summer camp (not a real camp, they just go for a couple of hours each day), so that will take up another week.

I don't actually like having too much planned - much prefer to let them play with each other and friends than do too much organised stuff!

brandiwest
05-21-2007, 07:18 AM

We are going to the Omaha Zoo too!!! We were there 3 years ago when Jael was 2; and since there are not many things to do with one that young; we are going to go again this year since Sawyer is 2!!

My kids will also go to swimming lessons and we will go camping.

Andrea
05-21-2007, 07:26 AM
We have year round school so life goes on no matter what we do. We're going to veg through our time off and just enjoy down time!

tborntreger
05-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Andrea, What's that like, year round school?

Brandi, Where are you from? Are you here in the midwest too?????

tborntreger
05-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Mosser77 Thanks for the link~~~~

ThoughtfilledMe
05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
My summer is going to be spent trying to teach my son how to do stuff around the house. We're doing some gardening, but also learning chores and working on his multiplication and reading some as well. We're planning on doing a bit of touring around the area during my husband's vacation and on weekends, but mostly we're sticking around the area. I'm kind of excited about summer, but at the same time I hate having to make sure my son doesn't spend the entire time on the computer. Not that I wouldn't be right there beside him if I could.

nonita63
05-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Sara gets out June 8th. Is off until June 14th then Summer School starts.
She goes until sometime in July. After that not sure what we are going to do. Maybe go to the Zoo, Wisconsin Dells for a day. The one thing that I would have liked to do is go and see Traci and her family but that isn't going to happen again this year :cry: (sorry Traci)..

babyofmine
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm hoping we'll get to Six Flags at some point, but it's kinda pricey, so I'm trying to charm DH into buying Zoo passes. :) I'd also like to go to Mammoth Caves again, and see more "hysterical" (as my mom calls them LOL) stuff here in Kentucky. We're going to Virginia in October, but it'll be too late to go to Busch Gardens, dang! LOL