PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now?

HollyS
03-26-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't now about you but it's always a toss up as to what to fill my time with when I just want to veg. So sometimes, it's designing and other times it's tv/movies or reading.

When it comes to reading, ever since the Twilight series came out, I haven't been able to get enough of vampire/angel themed books.

Stephenie Meyers' The Host is fantastic!
All of Lauren Kate books
Alyson Noel
The Vampire Academy series

But I always can trust Lisa Gardner to fill my murder/mystery basket!

If you like to read, what type of books do you read and who are you favorite authors?

JAB
03-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I just read The Pioneer Woman- Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. I loved it but I have been a fan/follower of hers for a long time.

I also read the new James Patterson-
I am currently reading 2- Water For Elephants and Heaven Is For Real

triciacurtis
03-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I just saw a clip of the interview with the little boy from Heaven is for real - sounds interesting.

I still have to go back and read Twilight etc.... I started but never finished the first book, hopefully soon I will have more time to read.

And I recently started the Swedish series The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - need to start that again but that is so good! My husband got me the movie series DVD set {Swedish} for my birthday, but I think I want to read the books first.

HollyS
03-26-2011, 10:16 AM
I just read The Pioneer Woman- Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. I loved it but I have been a fan/follower of hers for a long time.

I also read the new James Patterson-
I am currently reading 2- Water For Elephants and Heaven Is For Real

Cool, definately wanna see Water for Elephants cuz of Rob so am interested to hear from you if the book is any good :)

HollyS
03-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I just saw a clip of the interview with the little boy from Heaven is for real - sounds interesting.

I still have to go back and read Twilight etc.... I started but never finished the first book, hopefully soon I will have more time to read.

And I recently started the Swedish series The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - need to start that again but that is so good! My husband got me the movie series DVD set {Swedish} for my birthday, but I think I want to read the books first.

I didn't read the swedish series but saw the first two movies and they are great! Waiting for the third to be released here. Did you know they are remaking those in English with different actors?

triciacurtis
03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I didn't read the swedish series but saw the first two movies and they are great! Waiting for the third to be released here. Did you know they are remaking those in English with different actors?

I have heard that - and I heard that the Swedish versions are so good that Hollywood may not be able to do justice - the Swedish actress has gotten really good reviews. I haven't seen the movies yet but I'm looking forward to it. I may break down and watch the movies first, I really want to see them! I think the DVDs give the option of Swedish with English subtitles, or an English voiceover - have to see how much time I have to read screens, LOL.

SparkysGirl
03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Heaven Is For Real is on my to-read list this year.

I'm reading Brad Thor's "The First Commandment" right now. This is my "for fun" read. I actually bought this for my husband to read at the beach, but he didn't get to it this past summer. I picked it up and started reading it, and before I knew it I was a hundred pages in ... so, gotta finish it!

And, I'm a big history buff. So, I'm also reading George Washington's Sacred Fire by Peter Lillback. I was finally able to visit Mount Vernon about a year ago, and I fell in love with Washington. What we're taught in history in public schools is so trivial and silly ... especially when you find out the real scoop about him. He was such an amazing person, and such a hero! You'd think reading "history" books would be incredibly boring ... but that couldn't be further from the truth. The more I read ... the more I want to know!

I love seeing what other folks are reading ... gives me ideas for books I may not have considered before. I've read the entire Twilight series, and I really enjoyed it. James Patterson is probably one of my favorite authors, too. A comparable author to him is Harlan Coban ... his books have kept me up all night before!

Happy Reading all!

Blackthorne
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I am still readinīSimmons Becketts
"The Chemistry of Death." It is such
a great book but I seldom find the
peace and time to read.:sad1:

altimasport
03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I love a good mystery. Dean Koontz and James Patterson are two of my favorite authors. I just finished the book Toys by James Patterson and it was pretty good. The Women's Murder Club and the Alex Cross series are my favorite.

DavisChronicles
03-26-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't now about you but it's always a toss up as to what to fill my time with when I just want to veg. So sometimes, it's designing and other times it's tv/movies or reading.

When it comes to reading, ever since the Twilight series came out, I haven't been able to get enough of vampire/angel themed books.

Stephenie Meyers' The Host is fantastic!
All of Lauren Kate books
Alyson Noel
The Vampire Academy series

But I always can trust Lisa Gardner to fill my murder/mystery basket!

If you like to read, what type of books do you read and who are you favorite authors?

I finally found a book that I loved as much as the Twilight series and the Host. It's called "Graceling" by Kristin Cashore. It's not vampires, but I got just as wrapped up in it! And they can't keep it on the shelves here. LOVE it!

Blackthorne
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I am also into Dean Koontz, Tabitha King etc.

Am a Fan of swedish Henning Mankell and have
read most of his books.

I love Fantasy stuff like the series of Mary H.Herbert
"Dark Horse - Lightnings Daughter."

norskinus
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
I am reading "Pride and Prejudice" right now, simply to have something old and familiar to enjoy. I love new stories, though, and use the library a lot!

triciacurtis
04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Totally in a different direction...

I am a lifelong fan of I Love Lucy and the gang - and every time I watch the series again, I find myself looking for more and more history and trivia about the cast. I have the book "Love, Lucy" which I read a while ago, and if you are a Lucy fan - be sure to find the book "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz: The Life Story of Vivian Vance" - a very interesting book. Gives a detailed look not only into Vivian's life, but also that of the cast of course. I just saw it on my bookshelf and thought someone might be interested :)

norskinus
04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Learning about the cast is such an interesting adventure! I love bonus features on DVDs...! We have most of the "I love Lucy" sets, such enjoyable entertainment, clean, funny.

michellemomof3
04-04-2011, 06:28 AM
I used to be a HUGE fan of Dean Koontz & I still like his older books. I've read everything by him up to The Door to December. I started losing interest around then.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one obsessed Holly!! I just re-read Twilight & started New Moon again. I too have not had such a great interest in other themed books since Twilight. I've been reading alot of the teen books on anything in that genre. Most of them are pretty good.

elenasworld
04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I am a mystery girl too
Currently I am reading Scarpetta.

I really like Jonathan Kellerman too and John Sandford.

Darlene Currie
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I just haven't had time to read any fiction for quite a while now. I am reading a book now called "My So-Called Freelance Life" by Michelle Goodman. She's a writer and it's written very cleverly, but it's non-fiction - you know, business stuff, so it's easier to put down that a good novel!

donakat
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Just finished Harlan Coben's "The Innocent" which was a good mystery, very suspenseful and twisty. Next going to read one of the Diane Fallon forensic anthropologist books by Beverly Connor. I've really enjoyed these just as much as the Kathy Reichs books about forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. Maybe in another life I can be one of those :rolleyes1:.

elenasworld
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
wow Dona -- sounds like we enjoy some of the same stuff
I haven't heard of Beverly Connor before, but I sure will check her out
I love Kathy Reichs, more than Cornwell, so I think I have some stuff for my wishlist -- now if only I could read faster

Andrea
04-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm reading "The Spark" by Chris Downie right now. It's a weight loss book that focuses on you changing your habits for life rather than dieting to lose weight. It's really interesting so far. I struggle with my weight on a daily basis and it's really opening my eyes to the thinking pattern that has caused that. :)

triciacurtis
04-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I just downloaded the Sample to the New ABC Video Book on the Royal Wedding - I can't wait to get the whole thing and see videos and read the story of the history of the Royals, including William's grandparents love story - the Queen and Prince Phillip!

Debra
06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
This is such a great thread! I don't have much time to read, however, you all have given me some really great suggestions here if ever I do find the time... Thanks for posting and sharing here :love-smiley-011:

triciacurtis
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I just started the 3rd book in the Millenium Series: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Can't wait to finish so I can watch all the movies that my husband bought for me - I wanted to read the books first. Also can't wait to see the American versions!!

GripDesign
06-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I just love to read, have read all Stephanie Meyers books about twilight anyway those that we have in sweden. Five it is. Im a bookreader and have all the time a book with me where ever I go... Now I read a book called: crowgirl, a psychological thriller. But I having a bit trouble to read in english. Donīt know why because I can both speak and read english good.....