PDA

View Full Version : A Question for you all!

Darlene Currie
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd like to take a little poll here and ask you all a question. Before I started designing, I used to purchase kits that had alphas with them. Some came as individual pngs and others had the whole alpha on one sheet. At first I thought one sheet wasn't quite right, but now, I actually find it easier to have one file open and copy the letters as opposed to opening several files all at once and cluttering up my screen.

What do you all prefer? As a designer, of course we want our paying public to be happy!

Thanks!
Darlene
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/avalon4_photos/Miscellaneous/Studio4LogoSmall.png

donakat
11-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I actually think I like having them all on one sheet, too. But it really doesn't matter *too* much. The one thing about alphas that is more important to me is the inclusion of major punctuation: comma, exclamation mark, question mark, period, apostrophe, and dash. Those are the things I use in titles the most, that I often find missing in alphasets. Secondly, I find the inclusion of lower case letters a great plus, but not essential.

techie girl
11-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I always like to have the lower case letters as well as the uppers.
Selecting them all from one sheet is pretty easy too.I sometimes use PSE and open them all at once and then drag from the photo bin,but when I use PS and Bridge I have to keep going back for the next letter.So with PS I had rather have the sheet and with PSE it doesn't make much difference.

Darlene Currie
11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes, I agree, I like to have the lower case letters as well as all the symbols as well. Some fonts only come in upper case though, so I definitely prefer the ones that have it all.

agarzaldynrd
11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I actually like them individually. I have a hard time copying and all that. I do agree with the other ladies about punctuation and lower case letters.

elenasworld
11-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I am not too fussy about alphas -- I will use them either way
I do like having punctuation included too
I use more lower case alphas than upper case, so those are what usually grab my eye.
If a kit has an alpha included, I am super excited about it.

britnkaysmemaw2
11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I like the individual better. I really have always had a hard time trying to use the alphas, but lately have found myself using them a lot. Guess my scrapping skills are continuing to improve, LOL

twirlyjoy
11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
I much prefer having them all individually rather than on one sheet.

Guess this is a case of not being able to please everyone! lol!

tweederbug
11-22-2010, 06:50 AM
I hardly use alphas but when I do, I prefer them to be seperate. I don't like them on one sheet.

michellemomof3
11-22-2010, 06:50 AM
I too like them all on one sheet. At first I didn't either but I've found that it is much easier that way.

Gem
11-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Thank you for asking about this.

I like it when a kit has upper and lower case, common punctuation and numbers are great.

I like them separate.

ontiptoe
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm finding the way I work with kits, I prefer to have the alpha's in separate files rather than one sheet. Punctuation is very important for me as well, especially things not often thought of like quotes and the &. Thanks for asking!

Arizona Girl
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I like one sheet over each png. Its easier if you're trying to spell a number of words at once. Shave me so much time.

Arizona Girl
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
And it is a must to have punctuation and symbols. Its so frustrating when the alpha set you're using doesn't have the punctuation you need to match

crlin
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I like mine individual rather than having to cut them out of a page. Guess we are not much help LOL!! I have to get used to using alphas though, I love how they look, but don't leave enough room on my layout to use them ;(

Blackthorne
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I like to have them on one sheet and maybe
the numbers on another one. This down -
loads often come in huge sizes (Why ?) and
Ive to downsize each letter of the alpha.
And all the punctuations too.
So ...... :dontknow:

Scrappinsass
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
I like upper and lower case, and it doesn't matter to me if it on a sheet or individual because I still have to drag them onto my page anyway. Thanks for taking the time to ask us though!

bunnyscrap
11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
I like the individual files usually. I had to remember how to cut them apart in Heather's Dainty kit.

californiateri
11-23-2010, 04:48 PM
I usually like the individual ones best. The only way I know to use the sheet ones is to crop out the one I want, transfer it to my page and then undo the crop on the sheet to get the next one. Is there an easier way to do it? I'm using PSE7.

bunnyscrap
11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
If you make a selection of the letter you want and use the short cut Ctrl-J it will put a copy of your letter on a new layer, or right click on it and choose copy on new layer if you forget the shortcut!:wink: I always forget the shortcuts when I want to use them.

SlidingKat
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Can't stand the sheets. Cutting each letter out usually results in different size boxes to extract the letter. Lining up and sizing all these different cuts to be level or the same size is more work than it is worth.

I rarely use alpha's. I'd much rather have the style that is used to make the alpha letters.

donakat
11-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I usually like the individual ones best. The only way I know to use the sheet ones is to crop out the one I want, transfer it to my page and then undo the crop on the sheet to get the next one. Is there an easier way to do it? I'm using PSE7.

Teri,
You can select all the letters for your title from the alpha sheet all at once (use the marquee to select one, then hold the shift key down while selecting subsequent letters). Then click and drag the whole set onto your layout. They will be all the same size, but you'll have to arrange them as desired.

If you want to bring each letter onto your layout separately, just marquee-select the letters one at a time and drag onto your LO. Then you can link the layers and align them, and resize as necessary.

Katie, most alpha sheets come as png files, so have transparent backgrounds, so don't require extracting. For the ones that come as jpg files, you would have to extract.