PDA

View Full Version : How many languages do you speak?

twirlyjoy
10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Having just moved to Sweden, and having to start learning a new language, it made me wonder how many languages everyone can speak!

At the moment, I can only speak English. But, am starting to pick up a bit of Swedish and will soon go to a Swedish language school to learn more. My girls are all doing really well learning Swedish at school.

My mother-in-law-to-be who lives with us only speaks Italian, so I am also learning Italian from Alessandro (quite helpful that he is a language teacher too!!) He can speak loads of languages - English (thankfully!!), Italian, Swedish, German, and basic French and Spanish!

AZK
10-28-2010, 05:28 AM
I think being able to speak different languages is a gift. Living in the USA, I speak English, of course, but grew up listening to my parents and older relatives speak German. However, I don't speak it well at all and I don't even understand some German if it's spoken in a different dialect, for example.

How lucky you are to have such a talented fiance!

twirlyjoy
10-28-2010, 06:39 AM
How lucky you are to have such a talented fiance!

He has a bit of a fascination with languages!! He is Italian, so that is his mother tongue; his grandfather was German, so he learnt that to mother tongue level. He has lived in Sweden for 5 years and took the Swedish language course which I will be taking.

When he lived at home in Italy, he went to an American language school and learnt English which he speaks very well, and so do his boys. Even having been here for only 6 weeks, I have noticed how much the boys have improved with their English - it is our common language so they speak it a lot, although they speak italian to their grandmother and to their Dad sometimes, and to us sometimes when they forget!! lol!

Then he also learnt French and Spanish to a pretty good standard - enough to have a conversation with someone.

I guess when you find something interesting, you work at it without much difficulty!

donakat
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Your kids are lucky to be learning now, as it's so much easier as a child to pick up a new language. I spoke German and English as a toddler, as we lived in Germany then, but I lost the German because we moved back stateside. I learned German again, and Spanish, in high school and college. Living in the southwest you kinda get the Spanish on all fronts, but most Spanish-speakers are just too fast-talking for me to understand much. I do manage to get along when I need to.

triciacurtis
10-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I speak a little French - sadly not fluent, though I still hope to be someday... not sure that day will ever come, LOL, but nothing wrong with a dream right ;) I've been to Paris 3 times and each time I hated going to the nice or fancy restaurants as the wait staff was so rude, but other stores, and the little patisseries, boulangeries, etc. were very friendly - I would speak French and they would speak English, haha. But, our last time there we met a French couple through and International Organization that my husband belongs to - they were older and didn't speak much English, but when they invited us over to dinner they had a friend to help translate - again I spoke as much French as I could and I was able to have a basic conversation with non-English speakers so that was wonderful. The translator still helped just to be sure :)

Blackthorne
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I speak German, learned English in School for only 4 years but can speak faster and more fluent than many people I know.So this is no problem.
Because I love Sweden the most/traveled around there 10 times I started learning swedish as well but can write it better that I can understand it. Now I hardly have the chance to exercise anymore. :no:
I hope to learn Spanish one day as I love this language too.

norskinus
10-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I can or at least could speak Swedish! Too bad I'm not there, eh? I can speak Norwegian, understand Danish, used to be fluent in German and conversational in French, and I do speak English. My mother tongue is Norwegian. Best wishes in learning Swedish!

twirlyjoy
11-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Do those of you who speak German and Swedish find it makes it eazsier or harder to know both? I learnt a little German in school and think it will help me as things are quite similar. However, Alessandro spoke very fluent German (took the mother tongue language test and passed with the level that says you speak it as fluently as a mother tongue), but now that he speaks Swedish on a daily basis finds that the similarity between the two makes him forget German. He has a German friend here and he often forgets what the German words are when speaking to him and it takes a lot more thought now.

norskinus
11-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I suppose it is different for everyone. German and the Scandinavian languages come from the same root language, so there are many similarities, yet I would think it would be even harder to differentiate between for example Swedish and Danish or between Spanish and Italian, since they are much closer. Then again, if I were to learn Spanish, it would really help me now since I can recongnize many words from French....

GripDesign
11-10-2010, 06:51 AM
WoW! Im from Sweden. Where in Sweden do you live?
I speak swedish but I can english as well. In school we read germany so a bit of germany I can too!
I can teach you swedish if you want *LOL*

twirlyjoy
11-10-2010, 07:07 AM
WoW! Im from Sweden. Where in Sweden do you live?
I speak swedish but I can english as well. In school we read germany so a bit of germany I can too!
I can teach you swedish if you want *LOL*

wooohoo! Great to meet you!

I live in Sundsvall. I moved here from England with my 3 daughters about 8 weeks ago, to live with my fiance and his twin boys, and his mother! So, we have very busy but fun house right now!!

You are further south than us, I think (according to my fiance as my Swedish geography is somewhat lacking at the moment!!!)

Your English is fantastic! I am really impressed with how well English is taught here, and how well the children speak it, as well as the adults. Shopkeepers seem to really enjoy practising their English on us! Doesn't help us with our Swedish though! lol!!!

I am hoping to go to SFI, but they have to approve my right to residence before I am allowed to go!

So, any Swedish lessons would be greatly appreciated!!!

My girls are picking it up very quickly in school, so I feel a bit useless when my 10 year old says something to me and I don't know what she is saying! lol!!

Do you have the programme "Are you Smarter than a 10 year old?" That is Lucie's favourite game with me at the moment. She says something to me in Swedish and if I don't know what she is saying, I have to say "My name is Joy Brown and I am NOT smarter than a 10 year old!!!!!!

GripDesign
11-10-2010, 07:15 AM
I donīt have the program but I have seen it on tv...wow so many in a house...why did you move to sweden?? JOB???

webdesignmom
11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Living in the USA I speak English but I do know a little French since I took that in school some years ago. I remember enough French to get by the basics. My children on the other hand have to take a language in school. In our school district children are required to take Spanish starting in 3rd grade. So my 9 year old has had Spanish for 2 years so far. I have a 14 year old who didn't have to take Spanish in Elementary School because they just started this 2 years ago. But my 14 year old has taken French the last 2 years.

Blackthorne
11-10-2010, 08:39 AM
When I was young I lived in a place where we often had dutch guests and because it is often similar to German I cought up
quiete a few words.Thgan I moved to N.Germany where some people still speak the old language "Platt." As Iīd experience in Dutch I quickly understood it as well.
Than I started learnin Swedish and had to decide which way I wanted to go.In Dutch there is some words which you can find in swedish too. Now I start to mix up the two languages sometimes that is why I concentrate on Swedish.:rolleyes1:

norskinus
11-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm actually from Norway, but spent time in Sweden, and 1 1/2 years in Germany. Now I live in the middle of the US!

twirlyjoy
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
...why did you move to sweden?? JOB???

My fiance is Italian, but he has lived in Sweden for 5 years. We moved here to be with him. We looked into both options - him coming to England or us moving here, and this was the most sensible option. He has 12 year old twin boys and he and their Mum have joint custody and they spend half the time with her, and half with him, so there would be no way that he could move them out of the country, and they would struggle in English schools because the English school system means that the English kids would have been further ahead of them because they start school at 4 years old, although it all obviously evens out by the end of their schooling. So, to move my girls, even though they don't speak the language, wasn't really an issue as when it comes to most subjects, they are ahead of the Swedish children for the moment, giving them the chance to learn the language without getting behind in other subjects.

We also felt that the way of life here was better. Although the slow pace of everything takes some getting used to, I do prefer the more relaxed way, rather than in England where everything is done so fast - the quicker the better!

Plus, Alessandro (my fiance) used to be a professional skier and is now a ski instructor, and decent snow is in short supply in England!

Blackthorne
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I miss skiing here pretty much !!! :bye:

cascrappinggirl
11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Helga, where are you from in Germany? I am originally from Hamburg, but live now since 1988 in Los Angeles :)

Heike

I speak German, learned English in School for only 4 years but can speak faster and more fluent than many people I know.So this is no problem.
Because I love Sweden the most/traveled around there 10 times I started learning swedish as well but can write it better that I can understand it. Now I hardly have the chance to exercise anymore. :no:
I hope to learn Spanish one day as I love this language too.

cascrappinggirl
11-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Sweden is a beautiful country to grow up at. Your children are very lucky :) Besides, Sweden is not that far from England, as is the USA from Germany. I only get to see my family every other year :(

Heike

My fiance is Italian, but he has lived in Sweden for 5 years. We moved here to be with him. We looked into both options - him coming to England or us moving here, and this was the most sensible option. He has 12 year old twin boys and he and their Mum have joint custody and they spend half the time with her, and half with him, so there would be no way that he could move them out of the country, and they would struggle in English schools because the English school system means that the English kids would have been further ahead of them because they start school at 4 years old, although it all obviously evens out by the end of their schooling. So, to move my girls, even though they don't speak the language, wasn't really an issue as when it comes to most subjects, they are ahead of the Swedish children for the moment, giving them the chance to learn the language without getting behind in other subjects.

We also felt that the way of life here was better. Although the slow pace of everything takes some getting used to, I do prefer the more relaxed way, rather than in England where everything is done so fast - the quicker the better!

Plus, Alessandro (my fiance) used to be a professional skier and is now a ski instructor, and decent snow is in short supply in England!

Scrappinsass
11-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I speak English (brought up in Canada), Danish (born there) and a little French (took it in school and lived in Montreal for 3 years). What I'd like to take courses on is *advanced teen*, *men 101* and *strine*...(an Aussie slang) !

Blackthorne
11-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Helga, where are you from in Germany? I am originally from Hamburg, but live now since 1988 in Los Angeles :)

Heike

Hi Heike,

I already supposed that you are from Germany and (maybe)you feel a little homesick -
I live in Wedel.
I just love it here and would NOT want to leave.:wub1:
Are you married in the States ???

P:S. Kannst Du bitte Scattergories neu starten?
Meine Frage danach ist leider untergegangen.

cascrappinggirl
11-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I know Wedel, lived as a teen in Osdorf and went often to Blankenese and Wedel biking or walking at the promenade by the Elbe :) You live in a very nice part of Hamburg. It is beautiful in Wedel. My family lives now in Quickborn. Will be back to visit them next summer :) Yes, I am married here in the USA.

Nice to meet you, Helga :)

Ich werde mal sehen was ich machen kann :)

Blessings, Heike

Hi Heike,

I already supposed that you are from Germany and (maybe)you feel a little homesick -
I live in Wedel.
I just love it here and would NOT want to leave.:wub1:
Are you married in the States ???

P:S. Kannst Du bitte Scattergories neu starten?
Meine Frage danach ist leider untergegangen.

Blackthorne
11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Heike, I would not want to change my place of living. I can even see the Queen Mary II passing my window + balcony.
What more can I expect ??? :wub1:
Hope to maybe meet you when you visit Germany again.:shakehands:

Danke das Du das Spiel neu gestartet hast. Ich wusste nicht ob ich das auch darf.

Arizona Girl
11-18-2010, 07:42 AM
That's a lot of languages.
I can speak a few words (few meaning more than 10) in a number of languages.
English (of course), Spanish, Italian, German, and Thai.
But I can only carry a conversation in English.

cascrappinggirl
11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
What a beautiful place to live! You are very fortunate.

Heike, I would not want to change my place of living. I can even see the Queen Mary II passing my window + balcony.
What more can I expect ??? :wub1:
Hope to maybe meet you when you visit Germany again.:shakehands:

Danke das Du das Spiel neu gestartet hast. Ich wusste nicht ob ich das auch darf.

Blackthorne
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
GDS Addict

That's a lot of languages.
I can speak a few words (few meaning more than 10) in a number of languages.
English (of course), Spanish, Italian, German, and Thai.
But I can only carry a conversation in English.
______

O.K. if it comes to +/- 20 words I can also add spanish, russian and most certainly French.:hi::wink:
Learning new languages is such fun - Itīs allmost like discoverin a new World.

Blackthorne
11-19-2010, 12:22 PM

GDS Addict

I sure am Heike and I treasure it a whole lot !!! :wub1:

Muskaan
11-29-2010, 08:59 AM
4.75 languages :P