PDA

View Full Version : how scrappy are you?

Lynn82
06-22-2010, 05:56 AM
I've always wondered what and how others scrap.

I'm a template and overlay addict! I love overlays due to the fact that I can add them to expand kits, I tend to stick with one kit and get the add-on. the template more often then not gets a full overhaul but I go blank trying to start with a paper.

I'm more resourceful then creative

elenasworld
06-22-2010, 06:19 AM
First of all, Hi There and welcome to our scrapping family here at GDS

When I first started scrapping, I was completely lost.
I would go through the gallery for inspiration and then use a page
to try and duplicate the style or the placement of things. It was great if I had the same kit, 'cause then I could see how creative some people really were.

templates scared me, but that was my next step. and I have to say, using templates was the greatest thing for my scrapping, and for helping me to learn my scrapping software. I had to learn how to clip my papers and photos to the templates and to resize things -- resizing was harder, but somebody helped me out and gave me the tip on how to keep the scale the same (hold the shift key down when you are moving the box)

coming from paper crafting, stamps are brushes are something I love to play with -- probably because in rubber stamping you get your one chance and the stamp is as is -- in scrapping, I love that I can resize brushes, flip them, rotate, reverse, and even fool around with the scatter options, opacity, and well just about everything!

:goodluck: with your new found scrapping passion!
can't wait to see what you come up with in the galleries!

michellemomof3
06-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't think I am very "scrappy" myself. I am a very "in the box", follow the rules kind of person so sometimes I have a really hard time with it. I started by using the templates exactly as they came. Once I started doing the challenges, I really started to learn more & started modifying the templates a little. Now I use them maybe half the time.

I also have a hard time getting started sometimes. I seem to do better when I pick the picture I want to scrap but occasionally I will find inspiration from a kit or just an element in a kit. If I'm feeling creative I try to do the "fantasy" pages but most of the time, my LOs are pretty straight forward.

SparkysGirl
06-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Hey there, and welcome to GDS!
I'm a blank page, start from scratch scrapper. I rarely use a template. I need to break the habit, though, because they are huge time savers. My inspiration is tied to two things typically ... the photo(s) and an element or paper from a kit. I, too, tend to stick to one kit for a layout. That's another habit I need to break!
Great question ... it's neat to see how others approach their scrapping.

tweederbug
06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Hello and welcome to GDS. I am a mostly start from scratch type of scrapper. I do use templates .. they do make things so much easier :)! I buy kits that go with pictures. I might even see a kit and take pictures to match the colors or theme. Being a photographer has cursed me and broke my back account on kits. I do try to stick to kits that have flowers and ribbons. I am a junkie for those 2 elements. I also like stitching :laugh:!

carolyn17_4
06-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Hello and Welcome to GDS!!
That is a great question and I'm not sure how to answer. LOL I think my scrapping style and how I do things have really changed over the years. It really has had a lot to do with how comfortable I am with my software program. But, to be honest I'm kind of an anything goes type of scrapper. I do half my pages from scratch and half from a template.
You know what else... Since I've started coming online to scrapbook forums and browsing through galleries I've found that my style and how I scrap has changed TONS. I think it's because when I see things in the galleries it gives me so many ideas that I'd never thought of before. I'm so amazed at the creativity of people out there and I learn from trying those things out on my own layouts.
Anyways, I love to scrap and it's a great hobby that you can't go wrong with no matter how you do it. Right? :)

amandamoo
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm with Carolyn! My style has changed sooooo much since I started coming on this website. I have gotten tons better just by being around these amazing scrappers and participating in the challenges.
I love when the supreme team contests roll around because people explain in their descriptions how they do things. I have learned so much from that.

I rarely use templates. I scrap from scratch, stick to one kit per page, and LOVE fonts. I am a font junkie, love to mix and match them. I also love to pile tons of pics on a page.

diamndprincz
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey hey and welcome to GDS!

I am pretty much the same way...I pick a kit and go from there. I let the colors and elements inspire me. I don't really use templates...every now and then I will, but I try to find some way to "flip it around" and make it work for me. I like clean, modern looking pages/kits...I do clusters but sometimes (most times) they get on my nerves...just too much stuff on the page makes me feel clustered...lol.

I love overlays..don't use them a lot..just admire them. Lately I have been experimenting with brushes and using different papers in the kit to create an overlay effect. Can be fun...but tedious at the same time.

landofoz
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Tronesia i wont repeat what you said but i am exactly like you.

I start with a blank page,kit that i like. Sometimes it just flows and if not start again.

diamndprincz
06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Tronesia i wont repeat what you said but i am exactly like you.

I start with a blank page,kit that i like. Sometimes it just flows and if not start again.

Oohh....don't mention starting over. I have too many PSD files that I have stop working on. I can't even go back to them until months later...lol.

AZK
06-24-2010, 06:32 AM
My style has evolved since I started digi scrapping about 1-1/2 years ago...I tend to scrap single photos, LOVE clusters, not too much journaling. I usually start with a kit that appeals to me and then find photos that would work well with that kit...I'm definitely a one-kit scrapper, I rarely mix kits. I have no problem using templates...a lot of the time they really help me out when I'm in a creative slump. What I'm really stumped by is decorative brushes...I never really learned how to properly use them, so I just don't!

triciacurtis
06-30-2010, 09:44 AM
How funny! I tend to change styles every time I start a new one because I don't want to get stuck in a rut, LOL. I don't typically use templates because when I do, they never look like the template, which could be a good thing, but in the end it takes just as much or more time than starting with nothing. I love the vintage eclectic styles, but also the crisp, clean modern style. I guess it just depends on what I'm trying to portray :)

Debra
10-06-2010, 06:03 AM
What a great subject! We sure all have different styles!

I must confess.. I love quickpages and am a great collector of them! When I need to scrap a photo, I go through my qp collection and whatever one hits my fancy at the time I'll go with... add my photo(s), my journaling and a date and I'm done. (perhaps it's a time issue these days).

Then again, I love when I create from scratch as well WHEN I have the actual time. :twitcy: