PDA

View Full Version : Brush viewer

donakat
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
jmhawkes posted in another thread (and I've moved it to this category):
I stumbled on your site because I was looking for a link to a safe ABR viewer. I have searched the threads as best I can, but can't find anything. From what I have found on the web, many are full of malware. http://abrviewer.sourceforge.net is one of the ones that sounds like it's safe. Do you have any suggestions?

My reply to this question:
I have used ABRviewer and it works well. I also am now using Brush Pilot, and I like it better, but it's not free. You can try it out by going here (http://www.brushpilotapp.com).

triciacurtis
05-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I use BrushPilot too! It's a great resource and not too expensive.

Also, for those of you on a Mac, there is an option to view the abr files in the Finder QuickLook check it out here (http://brushviewer.sourceforge.net/).

agarzaldynrd
05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Is the brush viewer like the font viewer where you don't have to load the fonts thus keeping your computer from slowing down?

triciacurtis
05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes - the Brush Pilot is a separate program that you open and it automatically searches and finds the abr files you have on your computer and will show you the subfolders and their previews, they don't have to be installed in Photoshop.

For the Mac finder same thing, just open finder and press the spacebar for the quicklook and a preview will appear.

geniaBeana
05-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I use Tumasoft's Preset viewer. I LOVE it! With that one program I can easily view Brushes, patterns, custom shapes, psds, and more! It is so worth the $25.

Scrappinsass
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I use ACDSee to view my ABR's.. works good :)

Darlene Currie
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
I use Tumasoft's Preset viewer. I LOVE it! With that one program I can easily view Brushes, patterns, custom shapes, psds, and more! It is so worth the $25.

I thought I'd found a gold mine when I saw this application. Unfortunately for me, I'm on a MAC and they don't make it for MAC's. I was bummed. I can't find anything to preview styles. I wish someone would create one for a Mac. In the graphics industry, Macs are pretty much the standard so you think someone would have created an application.

donakat
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I thought I'd found a gold mine when I saw this application. Unfortunately for me, I'm on a MAC and they don't make it for MAC's. I was bummed. I can't find anything to preview styles. I wish someone would create one for a Mac. In the graphics industry, Macs are pretty much the standard so you think someone would have created an application.

I SOOO agree with you, Darlene. It's really hard to preview the styles with those little squares, but that's AFTER you load them. I've taken to putting the designer's preview (as available) in the folder with the styles, so I can look at them in the finder before loading into Photoshop.

Scrappinsass
05-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I found this in a MacRumours forum: Open Source abr Quick Look plugin for mac.
Using the Gimp code to accomplish this.
http://brushviewer.sourceforge.net/

here's another with jar code about 1/2 way down the page : http://www.easyelements.com/abrview.html

hope that helps..

Darlene Currie
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I SOOO agree with you, Darlene. It's really hard to preview the styles with those little squares, but that's AFTER you load them. I've taken to putting the designer's preview (as available) in the folder with the styles, so I can look at them in the finder before loading into Photoshop.

Yes, I do the same thing Dona, still it's time consuming. It would be nice to be able to preview them all at once though, like you can with ABRviewer. I do have certain "sets" I load - i.e., paper style, glitter styles, that does help a lot, but I have so many styles that I can't remember what some of them are until I load them. I actually do the same thing with kit previews. I load all the previews into one folder, that way if I'm looking for something, they're all in once place. It takes a while, but I load them using Bridge.

Darlene Currie
06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Boy there seems to be a lot of span in the Forums these days don't you think. It's kind of annoying.

hoodsmom
07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm on a Mac too, running 10.5.8. I use the Quick Look plugin. I found that abrviewer is quirky on my particular system and misbehaves often enough so that it's more trouble than it's worth. In addition, abrviewer creates png files of all the brushes it views so it's filling your hard drive with unnecessary extra png files you then have to delete. I take screenshots and have put them in a word document (actually a big table that's sorted by category - grunge, plants, etc.). So if I want to see all the grunge brushes on my system before deciding which one to load, I can go to my word document.

jewelsbunny
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks this program is awesome!! Exactly what I have been looking for.

Precepts and Promises
09-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Hummm....Can Lightroom read .abr files???

Darlene Currie
09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I just found this for Mac. I've installed it and I'm just going over it so I don't know how good it is. All I know is I can view styles without loading them because that can really bog down Photoshop. It also take so much time to load them individually and I don't always remember what styles are what.

Check this out - I think it's a 7-day free trial, but if it works and I like it, I'm getting it!

http://download.cnet.com/Preset-Viewer-Breeze/3000-18488_4-75362622.html

donakat
09-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Darlene. I've downloaded and will check it out.

triciacurtis
09-14-2011, 06:22 AM
They FINALLY came out with a Mac version - yea!! Thanks for the link, downloading a free trial. I have a brush viewer, but the pattern/style viewer will be handy to try.

Andrea
09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I use Preset Viewer and I don't know what I would do without it.

Blackthorne
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Andrea,

I have no Phtoshop on my PC. I work with Ulead Photo Impact 10.
Sometimes i Icome across atn./asl./pat. and other Photoshop -
files. I can not open them with any tools Ive installed.

Is there one which can solve my problem ???
I want to use this objects in PI .......