PDA

View Full Version : Like time savers?

geniaBeana
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
I've got a couple of actions coming out that help me save quite a bit of time when scrapping and while designing.

I'd like to give out a copy of each for further "testing" before they officially release on the 30th. This RAK is open to both designers and scrappers. I'll use the randomizer to pick at least one designer and scrapper to try these out for me.

Just comment here telling me what part of the digiscrap or digidesign process is the most tedious for you. I'm not telling what the actions do yet, though, ;) and your comments might motivate me to write more time savers.

Oh, these were created for PC versions of Photoshop and PSE, and I'm not aware of how to make them work for Mac.

tweederbug
04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
OK .. shadows are a tough one. I also think that things like color adjustments on pictures are tough sometimes. I also tend to like flowers and bows and actions for these have been great.

My biggest thing that takes the most time is layering and the right sizes to layer ...UUUGHHH!

britnkaysmemaw2
04-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Shadows are my big downfall, but clustering is not far behind that, lol. Any action that would make creating a lo easier would be great for me!

FJchickie
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't know if this is possible but I think it would be a cool action... most of the time I try lots of different elements before I am happy with my LO, so at the end I have lots of extra (non-visable) layers and it's not fun deleting all of them. :no: I need a non visable layer eraser! :biggrin:

geniaBeana
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Well I'll say that these actions do none of the things mentioned so far, but you have all brought up some interesting ideas.

SparkysGirl
04-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Hhhmmm ... the most tedious thing is extracting, especially when there is very little color variation.

It'll be interesting to see what you've been working on! I love a good mystery!

agarzaldynrd
04-22-2010, 05:06 PM
I agree with Lisa, I never extract anything because it just takes me forever!!! The other thing, besides shadows, is interlocking items. Example, wrapping a ribbon around a frame....all the erasing and sometimes they don't look right.

oh btw...I have a PC!!! :twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

StacieMac
04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
When scrapping, I spend a lot of time marking guides and setting up grids, as well as saving in all of the various sizes I need for galleries, printing, etc.

When designing, one of my biggest time suckers is trimming and saving. I use one PSD file for all of the elements in a kit, which means I have to go through layer by layer, trim the image of spare pixels, save it, and then step back in my history to restore the canvas so other elements aren't cut off. I like having all of the elements in one file because I can be sure of color and size matches, but it would be nice to find a way to shave off a few steps.

I am curious to see what kind of actions you are working on.

donakat
04-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Clustering takes a lot of time for me. An action that would make a certain number of repeats of an item, slightly rotated and sized up or down, would help. Another thing which takes up much time and effort is recoloring. And I do a lot of it, to make clothes in photos different colors, change element and paper colors, etc. There are different ways to recolor, and finding the right way takes time and experimentation.

geniaBeana
04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
When scrapping, I spend a lot of time marking guides and setting up grids, as well as saving in all of the various sizes I need for galleries, printing, etc.

When designing, one of my biggest time suckers is trimming and saving. I use one PSD file for all of the elements in a kit, which means I have to go through layer by layer, trim the image of spare pixels, save it, and then step back in my history to restore the canvas so other elements aren't cut off. I like having all of the elements in one file because I can be sure of color and size matches, but it would be nice to find a way to shave off a few steps.

I am curious to see what kind of actions you are working on.

When saving for various galleries, what are the most common sizes you size for?

When I design I keep a "working preview" I make my elements and drag into there to see if the colors are right before I merge and trim my elements to save them. However I might play around with how you do this and see if I can come up with anything.

elenasworld
04-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I have tried out lots of actions, but the ones I do use are for adjusting photos. One of the things in scrapping pages that takes me the longest is adjusting my photos. I tend to sharpen and then duplicate my layers several times. I usually have something to clone out, like a trash can or dog's tail. For me, that gets pretty tedious.

I have just started to trim away the excess on my pages. that gets cumbersome going from layer to layer. I am not sure if it brings my file size down, but it does help when I am resizing things.

mannymea
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I know it has already been said but for me the shadowing is the most tiresome!

Scrappinsass
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Shadows are always time consuming, and as Dona said clustering. Then there's re-colouring.. lol.. the list is getting bigger.. and a lot of my scanned older photos need the unsharp filter. Those are the time suckers for me. Great RAK BTW!! Thanks for that!

Andrea
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree that the shadows take the most time. Aside from that, I think the next most time consuming thing for me is just importing all of the stuff I want to use. Any time saving action would be fantastic. :)

michellemomof3
04-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I have the hardest time with the torn edge look to papers. I've found lots of tuts for this but I still can't do it very well. I also agree with the clustering thing but I'm not sure how you'd make an action without every cluster you make looking the same(but with different elements). And the deleting of the unused layers once you have your layout done.

altimasport
04-23-2010, 04:10 PM
The clustering and getting the shadows to look right are the hardest for me.

SlidingKat
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I see a lot of people mentioning color adjustments for photos (so I uploaded my method in photoshop in another thread).

Time consuming things I wish could be easier:

-adding comments to the layout of who to give credits to (kits, paper, elements were used).

-clustering

-extractions

-making mats to clip photos behind frames

SlidingKat
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I have the hardest time with the torn edge look to papers. I've found lots of tuts for this but I still can't do it very well. I also agree with the clustering thing but I'm not sure how you'd make an action without every cluster you make looking the same(but with different elements). And the deleting of the unused layers once you have your layout done.

I would definitely buy a torn edge action!!!

southflascrapper
04-25-2010, 04:00 AM
I really love actions. My time consumer is the afore mentioned 'shadows' lol! I only save in 600x600 for the gallery posting, so not a big deal there. I usually develop my photos in Adobe Lightroom2 before I use it in a layout so don't really use actions for photo. I would love something that would help with shadowing, trimming, layer management or clustering. I have already used Studio Wendy and Randi Oh's 'clustering action' and I didn't really feel that it helped that much. I love testing PS actions though so appreciate that you are having a drawing! Thank you for the chance to test for you Val!

HollyS
04-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Great suggestions for Val so far!

An action to save an image 3 times...200x200, 400x400 and 600x600 automatically appending _MED and _LRG to the name for 400 and 600 :) You know why!

An action that takes input of a directory and trims all the files :)

britaneejean
04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
these are all great ideas! goodness, i'd love an action that goes through and uses the unsharp mask on every layer (except text & photos, since i've usually edited them by then). that's time consuming for me!

geniaBeana
04-25-2010, 06:25 AM
You run un-sharp mask on all of your layers? Most people only run a sharpening filter once the layout is flattened and resized for the web as everything can loose a little quality in the process when you change the resolution.

geniaBeana
04-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Holly, one of these actions MIGHT help you with PART of your request ;)

agarzaldynrd
04-25-2010, 07:48 AM
This is getting really interesting. I have no idea what an "unsharp-sharp" mask is or what Britanee is talking about. SORRY!!!! But what Hollyann is talking about with saving different sizes at once, that kinda makes sense but now I can't wait to see what you are planning Val!!!

geniaBeana
04-25-2010, 08:03 AM
We're getting ready to take our kids to see Disney on Ice, but when I get back I'll let everyone know what the actions do. There have been a couple suggestions that relates to one of them ;) but the 2nd noone has mentioned. It is a good one for designers or for CTMs that help designers out with advertising ;)

landofoz
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Well first thing that came to my mind was extracting and the other thing was trying to remember bit and Pieces used in layout to give credit to the designers

britnkaysmemaw2
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
An action for punching the "Holes" to make QP's? Now that would be a lifesaver for doing a CT freebie.

clcayer
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I agree that extracting is the most tedious. I don't do it often because it takes me so long to get it just right.

SlidingKat
04-25-2010, 01:14 PM
An action for adding holes for stitching that comes without the holes.

geniaBeana
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Well first thing that came to my mind was extracting and the other thing was trying to remember bit and Pieces used in layout to give credit to the designers

Now, I have my own "style" that I use to do this, but Andrea has one in the shop here (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=140&products_id=5549) already ;)

geniaBeana
04-25-2010, 02:23 PM
So here is what I have this round for Actions:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/vsteinkoenig/scrapbooking/2010/_MED.jpg
to quickly resize layouts for the various galleries AND for the reasons Holly mentioned in her post ;) It may not name them automatically, but wow does it speed things up. Especially now that I started doing 100% view images for my product descriptions. THAT is a lot of images to re-size and upload ;)

This one was designed because the above takes so much time and this is just ONE more thing I have to do with those previews and after so many it sure get's tedious:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/vsteinkoenig/scrapbooking/2010/gb_sneakpeek_MED.jpg

I'll pick my 2 random winners tomorrow night.

britnkaysmemaw2
04-25-2010, 02:37 PM
These are great Val. Good luck everyone.

agarzaldynrd
04-25-2010, 03:42 PM
So I think the resizing one is interesting and I love the sneak peak one!! Do you have instructions for the resizing one because I do resize all my los at least 3 times and it does take a lot of time. Good luck to all!!!

Gem
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd like an action that fuzzed out the background when the photographer (um hum-me) didn't know how to make that happen during the photo shot. When I used the blur and blur more it tends to be to unrealistic.

Scrappinsass
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
An action for punching the "Holes" to make QP's? Now that would be a lifesaver for doing a CT freebie.

Andrea has one for that in her shop.. it's for PhotoShop though..

donakat
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
These actions sound great, Val!

tweederbug
04-26-2010, 03:56 AM
I like the idea of these. I really like the resizing because I do alot of that between scrapping sites and my 2 blogs :)!

geniaBeana
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Sorry it took me so long! I've got 2 Random winners. I haven't selected a designer yet, though. I'll do that in a second (I decided to add one extra give-away ;))

So the first 2 winners are

scrappinsass
Sparkysgirl

I'll PM you with links in a bit.

You will receive both actions. If you are on a CT you could use the Sneak Peek action to help out your designer out with some sneak peek marketing ;)

SparkysGirl
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh WOW! I am so excited about giving this a try! It'll should be a huge help! Thank you, Val!

Darlene Currie
04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
These actions look great! I love the Sneak Peak one.

britaneejean
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
i love the sneak peek action!!

StacieMac
04-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I really like the Sneak Peek action; I could certainly make use of that.

geniaBeana
04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I really like the Sneak Peek action; I could certainly make use of that.

Well... You'll get to try it out. I just went through and found all of the designers that posted, and you were selected to receive them as well.

Scrappinsass
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
YIPPEE!! Awesome... Can't wait to try them out! Thanks Val!

britnkaysmemaw2
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Congrats Lisa & Lone---and designers. These are great actions.

agarzaldynrd
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Congrats Lisa and Lone!!

StacieMac
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Well... You'll get to try it out. I just went through and found all of the designers that posted, and you were selected to receive them as well.

Very cool! Thank you so much!

landofoz
04-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes i agree clustering i am getting used to it now but it is time consuming , cant wait to see what you come up with.

landofoz
04-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Val,I just saw the sneek peek when will it be in the shop?

geniaBeana
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I've got quite a few things releasing on Friday.

HollyS
04-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Loving both of these actions Val!