PDA

View Full Version : font organizer

britaneejean
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
have you heard of these before? i didn't know about them until a few months ago & have been debating if i should download one or not. does anyone use one? if so, what one is it? do you like it?

dylabel
04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I had one before my computer was redone and I used it lots - your post made me realize that I didn't save it, lol.

They are nice because the fonts are shown larger and when you have so many you need something to look at. Get one :)

britaneejean
04-20-2010, 09:37 AM
did you buy it or download a free one?

dylabel
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
was a free one

take a look at this one

http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

This is the one that I use :)

carolyn17_4
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I have one. I think it just helps to not bog down your ps. It's pretty easy to install fonts with it too. That is the only time I ever open the program, just to install the fonts. Then they just magically show up in my ps. I use AMP font viewer (which is free)

agarzaldynrd
04-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I use the same one Carolyn uses and I love it. I don't load fonts anymore because it really slows my computer down. The AMP font viewer is free and very handy.

dylabel
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I have over 2500 fonts loaded into PS, lol and have no issues (knock on wood!). I use the font express viewer lots though as the tiny little text sample in PS just doesn't work for me.
I love typing it in and scrolling to see what it would look like, so much easier than in PS mode :)

donakat
04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Check out the available utilities here:
http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/downloadfonts/fontutil.html

I use Font Explorer for the Mac (also available for the PC), it's free, it's great.

triciacurtis
04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I use Fontcase and I LOOOOVE it! I am in the process of going through and reorganizing my fonts with this program, it's like iTunes for your fonts!

Darlene Currie
04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I've always used Extensis Suitecase for Mac. I have all my fonts organized in sets - i.e., graphic design, scrapbooking or freebies. You can view what the fonts look like at various sizes.

carolyn17_4
04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I use Fontcase and I LOOOOVE it! I am in the process of going through and reorganizing my fonts with this program, it's like iTunes for your fonts!

Tricia, does this program let you organize into categories (like handwriting, grunge, cursive, etc) and still show up organized in photoshop??

britaneejean
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM

i used font xplorer & it crashed pse. does this one go through & pull all your fonts that are already installed? maybe i just don't get it & need it to walk me through step by step...in laman's terms.

triciacurtis
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
With Fontcase (http://www.bohemiancoding.com/fontcase/) you can edit the metadata for each font, either individually or as a group. You can add multiple tags, genres, collections and smart collections, search for and delete duplicates, sort by foundry, tag, genre, designer, language, and even add notes, ratings, version and copyright.

If you have fonts loaded in your system that are crashing an application, likely there is a problem with the font (or more than one) and you should use a font manager to try and detect any errors and see which fonts need to be deleted or replaced.

As far as organizing in Photoshop, the fonts are alphabetical, with the other languages at the bottom, is that what you mean? I've searched but can't find a way, or a plugin, to sort by genre or something else in Photoshop.

Oh also, I'm currently on the laptop with our in-home shared network, so I've been working with fontcase on the laptop. When I go back to my desktop, I will export this font library and replace it with the desktop one, which will keep all the tags, metadata, etc. that I've done, perfect for sharing between computers and keeping everything up to date.

donakat
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
i used font xplorer & it crashed pse. does this one go through & pull all your fonts that are already installed? maybe i just don't get it & need it to walk me through step by step...in laman's terms.

Britanee, All the font managers will let you open whatever you need at a given time, close what you're not using, keep particular sets open all the time, etc. You never want everything open all the time. The beauty of the organizers is in the set organization and viewing. I have collections/sets like Dingbats, handwriting fonts, serif fonts, etc. which are separate and help me find the font I need. You can specify what text you want displayed, which helps in trying to match wordart for example, and how big, so you can really see what a font looks like, and you can pull up a character map which allows you to look at all the glyphs (pictures/letters) available in the font of choice. Lots of the free fonts haven't got important punctuation or numbers, etc.

diamndprincz
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow...I learn something new every day. I never heard of a font organizer. I just have all mine loaded up and I don't have any issues. I just scroll through them in PS but most of them, I remember what they look like once I see them once or twice. And that irks me Dona...that some don't have punctuations..then I have to go find something else all together. I might have to try one of these though.

donakat
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Wow...I learn something new every day. I never heard of a font organizer. I just have all mine loaded up and I don't have any issues. I just scroll through them in PS but most of them, I remember what they look like once I see them once or twice. And that irks me Dona...that some don't have punctuations..then I have to go find something else all together. I might have to try one of these though.

Usually, you can substitute a comma or explanation point from one font into a similar one that doesn't have it. Just select that blank box or weird default font character and change it to something that matches. The font Journal usually fits with a number of other hand-lettered fonts without punctuation.

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Dona, I just downloaded font explorer for my new mac. I used a different manager for my pc. Does the font explorer allow you to see all your fonts without loading them to ps? I loaded all mine and I want to get rid of them now. Don't want to slow down my machine. The one I used with my pc allowed me to look and temp. load fonts. Anyone out there have one like this...for Macs?

donakat
04-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Dona, I just downloaded font explorer for my new mac. I used a different manager for my pc. Does the font explorer allow you to see all your fonts without loading them to ps? I loaded all mine and I want to get rid of them now. Don't want to slow down my machine. The one I used with my pc allowed me to look and temp. load fonts. Anyone out there have one like this...for Macs?

Yes, Anna, Font Explorer lets you see all your fonts and what the lettering for a particular string of characters (or all the characters) looks like and compare various fonts. You can turn on fonts temporarily and turn them back off. I don't think loading a bunch of fonts with Font Explorer actually slows down the machine in quite the same way it does with Windows (but I may be wrong about this). One thing you want to do is read up in the help files about putting your fonts in a directory where you can access them all from Font Explorer, and NOT have all the fonts in the designated "Library--Fonts" folder, or in the "System--Library--Fonts" folder (the latter is just for the fonts that the system requires). That will ensure that you only load the necessary stuff on each system bootup.

agarzaldynrd
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Dona and thanks for giving me the ADSR info!!

hollandnancy
04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Is there any way to delete fonts you dont want that came with Windows? like the ones in Arabic and Chinese? My computer is really slow, and I wonder if getting rid of some fonts would help, but don't know how to do it.

agarzaldynrd
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
If you have a font viewer, I'm pretty sure you can. If you don't, you might have to go into your system and remove them but I'm not sure how to do that. Sorry I can't help but maybe someone here can.

Is there any way to delete fonts you dont want that came with Windows? like the ones in Arabic and Chinese? My computer is really slow, and I wonder if getting rid of some fonts would help, but don't know how to do it.

donakat
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Nancy, See this page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts) for info on deleting fonts from Windows. If you're on a Mac, there are some fonts you aren't supposed to delete, that the System requires. There may be some similar restrictions in Windows. See this thread (http://typophile.com/node/30705) for some more info on that topic.

hollandnancy
04-12-2011, 05:25 PM
thanks, Donna and Anna. I still haven't been able to delete them. The fonts only show up in PSE, not in Microsoft Word and not in Control Panel>Fonts. I see where I could have the foreign fonts not show from the link Donna sent me, but I don't think that would actually delete them to give me more space? I'll read some more and keep trying. I appreciate your taking time to answer.

triciacurtis
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
For those of you using Macs - check out Fontcase (http://bohemiancoding.com/fontcase/) - it's what I use and I love it! It's like the iTunes and iPhoto interface for your Mac.

Also, check out CleanMyMac (http://macpaw.com/) - it will help you delete language files, old logs, broken preferences, invisible items, incomplete application deletions/uninstalls, etc. Helps you save a ton of space.

And then there is TidyUp! (http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/TidyUp.html) - it helps you find duplicates on your computer and save even more space!