PDA

View Full Version : Digital Ice

bdjeepers
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
For weeks I explored filters, actions and software to help me with old-photo restoration projects. I tried tinting, painting, and transparency brushes. I lighted, darkened, increased contrast and decreased saturation. It took days (sometimes longer!) to get a photo where it looked better or even just salvageable. I have pictures that are well over 100 years old. Some that are only 20 or so have faded badly, or have horrible light streaks in them.

I happened on an article some time ago about Digital Ice, which is software that the big processing labs use. It is made by Kodak, and it's very expensive for a home user. It will automatically restore color and remove scratches and dust from photos.

As I was working on a photo of my grandmother taken before I was born, my WONDERFUL, GENEROUS, FABULOUS DH came into my room with a new Epson scanner which has Digital Ice built in! All he said was, "Happy Mother's Day early!"

I sat there flabbergasted and breathless, with eyes as big as saucers! Then, of course, DH got a big hug and kiss and about a gazillion thank yous. My hands shook too hard for a while for me to even get the box unpacked, but I got it done, installed it, and found pictures to scan. I've only just started, but boy, am I impressed with this technology! In only a couple of clicks to tell the scanner what to do, pictures are restored! There's little, if any, cleanup to do afterward.

Check it out! (The Epson 4490 is on sale right now.)

Doin' the Happy Dance! :vb_chirolp_iei: :vb_chirolp_iei: :vb_chirolp_iei:

Debra
05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
How Cool!!! What a great Hubby you have there!!

Hope you have fun with your new toy!!!!

MaggieMae
05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow! What a great gift!! Wonderful that you can now restore some precious pictures!!:vb_chirolp_iei:

brandiwest
05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
WOW!! How cool is that!!! Congrats on your new toy!!!

okblues
05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Barbara, What a wonderful surprise! Congratulations!

crops2dawn
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
That is sooooo SWEET!!! What a wonderful story! I know how frustrating it can be to restore photos, so glad you found the program for you! I will have to look into this, I have never heard of it before, so I thank you very much for sharing this info! And BTW you got yourself a Great Hubby!!!:biggrin:

yin
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Wow, how nice of your hubby!! I've not heard of it before either, thanks for sharing, one more up on my wishlist!!

casey4
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a wonderful scanner - will have to check it out.

Maisie
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Lucky you!!!
I was going to tell you where a tut is for fixing all old photos,
But now I'm thinking, I'll send you mine!!! LOL
Have fun!!!