PDA

View Full Version : Removing white box from a graphic

anita2555
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I have some graphics that have a white box behind them. How do I get rid of the white box?:

geniaBeana
04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
You have elements to scrap with that have a white background? If so, these elements were not saved in the proper format and are not usable unless you extract them from the solid background manually. If you got them in a scrap kit for purchase or as a freebie, you should contact the designer and let them know of the problem. They should be transparent .PNGs and not .JPGs.

agarzaldynrd
04-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I had this issue way back when I first started scrapping!! Are you using PSE??? If so, you need to use the place option found under the file tab instead of the open option like you do on other programs. Hope this helps.

anita2555
04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Here is a link to the graphics I'm working with:

http://www.betajournal.com/clip_passport2009.htm

I want to put them on patterened paper but I would like the white background removed. How would I manualy remove the white?

agarzaldynrd
04-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't know if you can. I'm not sure what kind of file this is and even if I did know, I'm not sure I would know. It looks like a pre-designed clip art and my experience with clip art is that it is what it is and unless you created it, it can't be changed. I could be wrong.

You can try to erase the white background. That might take some time but I'm pretty sure you could do that.

anita2555
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm stuck with what I have.

elenasworld
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
i agree with Anna
I am pretty sure these are clip art images and there isn't
any easy way to extract all that white (as far as I know)

but, maybe you are talking about having the white box like frame
around the images??? if so, I am pretty sure that is part of the
blog set up or design.

tweederbug
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I did some of them and removed the white background. What is your email and I can send them to you as a PNG format. This can be done VERY quickly LOL!

tweederbug
04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Sent you a PM with a download link for 4shared. Removed I think 5 of the whites from around them .. hope that you like.

DavisChronicles
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I had that same problem a couple of months ago!
It turns out that my quicktime & javascript weren't updated.
Once I did... no white boxes!
Hope it helps! =)

donakat
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Anita, These are all vector graphics and can be opened in a drawing program like Adobe Illustrator. Then you can manipulate them. When you open them into Photoshop or Elements, you rasterize the vectors and make a flattened image, which is then harder to manipulate and at the mercy of the size/resolution of the copied image. The nice thing about vector graphics is that they are resolution-independent, can be sized up or down without losing resolution, and can be recolored, etc. in the original drawing program. Any file that has the .eps extension is a vector graphic.

tweederbug
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
I used CS2 .. opened it up and pasted it on a blank background. Used the magic wand tool and clicked on the white part that I didn't want .... you should have marching ants around the edges .. push erase and VOILA .. you have a PNG format with no white to it. Save it as PNG and you are done.

FJchickie
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure how to do it in other programs, but in Photoshop just duplicate the layer, then use your Magic Wand to select then delete the white space.

californiateri
04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
If you're using PSE - you should be able to just use the "Magic" eraser and click on the white background and it should remove just the white. I do it all the time and it usually works okay.

anita2555
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I'm still trying to learn PSE 5 so I sometimes feel like a dummy.

Anita