PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up folder preferences?

agarzaldynrd
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
If you followed the last HELP!!! I put out there yesterday, you know I messed up my computer. Long story but it does have a happy ending I hope. I am now bringing my work laptop home with me to keep up with my digi-scrapping but since it is a newer laptop, I'm not sure how to do this.

My files on my older laptop all have the picture of the kit on the front of the folder. I set it up using the preferences and finding the pic I want to be posted on the front of it. On this newer laptop, the folders look different. They kinda look like they are partially open with a couple of pages kinda sticking out of the folder. I tried to use the preferences to place the pic. I want in the front of the pictures but it isn't working. If I've made any sense and you know how to do this, please let me know.

SparkysGirl
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Anna,

It sounds like your laptop is running Windows 7. Right-click the folder and go to Properties.
Go to the last tab on the pop up window, CUSTOMIZE.
About halfway down, there is a CHOOSE PICTURE button ... click it and navigate to the kit preview and select it.

The icons will still display as partially open folders, but you'll at least get a glimpse of what the folder contains. I have no idea why Microsoft changed the way this displays ... it's got "Man Decision" all over it. LOL!

agarzaldynrd
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
How funny Lisa!! You are absolutely right. It is a partially opened folder and I've been trying to put the preview up front and have been doing exactly what you said but I still get other pages in front of the preview....sometimes I can't even see the preview. I'll keep trying.

landofoz
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Anna , i think you have Vista as that is the way mine areon my laptop, like a open book ,i just got my last 2 lots of visitors away and now my neighbours from Sydney have called in ,i will try to check it out,when they go.

SparkysGirl
04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
How funny Lisa!! You are absolutely right. It is a partially opened folder and I've been trying to put the preview up front and have been doing exactly what you said but I still get other pages in front of the preview....sometimes I can't even see the preview. I'll keep trying.

Anna ... I forgot a detail. You have to select the "FOLDER" file from the kit.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/SparkysGirl2/Blinkies/9b1f04b5.jpghttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/SparkysGirl2/Blinkies/9b1f04b5.jpg[/IMG]"] ("http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/[IMG)

agarzaldynrd
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Lisa,
I am looking for folders but keep finding the previews and not folders. BUT while I have your attention, I really like this screen shot with all your folders listed on the left side then when you click on one does it open that kit? How do you set that up?

agarzaldynrd
04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
OH WOW!! I think I figured out this list format. Thanks Lisa!! But still looking for folders and not previews. Do all the kits have folders??

SparkysGirl
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, when I click the folder, it opens the kit. Believe it or not, I came up with this arrangment so that I could "speed scrap" faster ... what a HOOT!

When I buy a new kit, I download it and extract it. I rename the main (top most) folder in the format ... designer initials_Kit Name_store ... and then I typically move EVERYTHING in the kit up to that main folder and delete all the subfolders. I like to look at the elements and the papers all together. The only time I keep a subfolder is if the kit comes with an alpha.

Then, I have a folder called "Kits". Under that folder, I have subfolders for each "store". And under each "store" I place the folder I created from the download (meaning the folder in the format of designer initials_Kit Name_store). It's easier for me to find things, but everyone has their own way of arranging things, so there's more than one way to do this!

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't!

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm wondering if you didn't delete the "folder" views from the kits.

agarzaldynrd
04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
This sounds like what I do I just don't rename the folders. I leave the original name UNLESS it is an alpha at which point I name it alpha_designer name_kit. I also have separate folders for different stores but since I only hang out at GDS, the other kits never really get used and I've sopped buying or collecting from other stores so that supply is limited for me. I do have one designer that I follow and kinda CT for every once in awhile so I use her stuff from time to time.

landofoz
04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
You girls need to buy ACDSee, you can organise all your kits. Say you want to find a ribbon, as you DL your kits you can tag elements.
E.G. you want to find a blue ribbon you hit the folder with ribbons and Bingo (NO Searching) Or you can sort by colors and so on .

landofoz
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
You girls need to buy ACDSee, you can organise all your kits. Say you want to find a ribbon, as you DL your kits you can tag elements.
E.G. you want to find a blue ribbon you hit the folder with ribbons and Bingo (NO Searching) Or you can sort by colors and so on .
Here are a couple of snips that i took.

britnkaysmemaw2
04-20-2010, 09:12 AM
You should be a salesman for ACDSee, lol. I really have thought about getting it, you may have sold me on it.

britaneejean
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
i've thought about it too but i have over 200 kits (not including element packs, alphas, etc...) i really have no desire to go through & tag them all lol
it's still really tempting to buy though...

landofoz
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
i've thought about it too but i have over 200 kits (not including element packs, alphas, etc...) i really have no desire to go through & tag them all lol
it's still really tempting to buy though...

I tagged over a 1000 kits, (im a kit alholic lol:twitcy:)

over 50,000 elements all catalogued and backedup

200 would be easy start early rather than later!