PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping Stock Photos

StacieMac
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I see more and more of this everyday, people scrapping stock photographs. I have to ask... why? The whole point to scrapping is to preserve certain memories; so why are so many people scrapping photos of other people's children. It strikes me as incredibly impersonal and even a little creepy.

For example, I did a search in another gallery this afternoon for pages about Google. I used the search keyword "google." Instead of what I was looking for, the results were 100 layouts where the artist cited google.com or google images as their photo source. This raised two issues for me. The first is that google and google images are merely search engines and cannot be sources; therefore, these artists are not properly giving credit where credit is due. The second is that any random photograph you may have posted on the internet may one day end up in someone else's layout.

I am interested in hearing from others about their feelings on this and from those who use stock images as to why they do so. What are your thoughts?

diamndprincz
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
We must be on the same wave length. I have been thinking about this the past couple of days because of a thread I saw at another site. The only reason why I started scrapping was because of my daughter. If I didn't have that emotional pull there, I don't know if I would have been doing this for this amount of time. I love seeing layouts that actually "emote" a feeling. I just wonder why..what is the point...maybe I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle here.

tbcarter2002
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Same here. Luckily I have a large family so I have LOTS of photos to scrap. Scrapping would not be fun for me,though, if I were using photos of strangers that I found on the internet. I think that a lot of CT members use them but if I get to the point that I don't have photos to scrap, I will just have to find another hobby. Just my personal view.

juliesaddiction
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I have always felt the same way. I feel like a layout really gets heart and soul by what the photo means to you. Scrapping a photo of a stranger is basically just art, or another way to preview the kit. Seems like alot of work for nothing to me. Just my humble opinion ;)

agarzaldynrd
04-10-2010, 09:08 PM
How funny, I was just thinking that today. It is strange since I scrap for me and to keep the memories intact. I think sometimes people are trying to sell a kit and just need something quickly to advertise. I think they would get a better response if it was something personal. I then wonder what they do with that lo. Do they keep it or just trash it?

carolyn17_4
04-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I also just saw a discussion about this same thing on another site. I couldn't agree more with all the pp's. I can't imagine wasting all this time for something that wasn't personal? The only thing I can think of is maybe these people swap out their own photos for a stock so they can maintain their children's privacy? But, scrapping doesn't have to be all about kids either. There is your home, you pets, your garden, your travels. Sooo much you can scrap about that you shouldn't need stock. But, whatever. :) To each their own I guess.

However, when I see a layout with what I believe to be a stock photo, it really looses it's appeal to me.

I feel that scrapping is an art from the heart, it's TOTALLY about the memories. Doing it for showing off kits or elements is a waste of time I think.

britaneejean
04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
i see it more with CT members & i think it's mostly because some kits don't work with people's personal photos so they'll scrap a LO with a stock photo so it still looks great. i've done it once in a challenge for another site & it was only so i didn't give away who i was. i think it just depends on what it's for & who's doing it. i personally scrap for my family memories.

Scrappinsass
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Scrapping a photo of a stranger is basically just art, or another way to preview the kit. )

I think that's the prime reason it's done..Some folk just consider it an art form.. others preserving history. I've seen designers do this also..to promote their kits.

I've also seen where people don't want to used their own photos to post because they don't want them used/seen on the internet for one reason or another but then they use the real ones for their own albums. Still.. if they don't want THEIR kids/family photos on the net.. why expose other people's kids/family ? Doesn't make sense to me.. Ok for *their family* but not ok for yours.. ? I'm not getting the double standard. Unless I guess the *other* photos are purchased or they are given permission to use them. Weird situation all around.

Would be useful I guess to hear from the people who are using the stock photos as to why they are. :biggrin:

donakat
04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I certainly agree with all y'all, especially with the kinda creepy part you mentioned, Stacie. I wonder what the parents of those kids think about them appearing in the "art" of others. And certainly, getting images off Google is basically pirating and not fair use. Someone owns the copyright to those images.

briarwoodpups
04-11-2010, 04:58 AM
There have been a few times when I have thought my photos aren't good enough and to really make the kit stand out, a fantastic photo would have helped, but fate decided I wasn't smart enough to find a good stock photo - LOL. But I did try.

And I can't deny the curb appeal of a really great photo with a terrific kit to draw the attention right to it. When it all fits together so perfectly at first glance, then the average person isn't going to realize it's a stock photo. Of course, I'm on the oblivious side of things and I think it took me a year to figure out that's what some people were doing.

I wouldn't mind using awesome photos with a kit just for the sheer enjoyment of creating something beautiful, even if it's not personal. And I've done scrapping for a couple of other people who are friends and have sent me some photos. But using my own does keep me motivated to keep getting new memories recorded. Tony's daughter is taking driver's ed classes and I keep reminding him to get pics of her in the car. He hasn't attempted it yet that I know of.

dylabel
04-11-2010, 06:18 AM
I'll just throw my two cents in :) I had one new CT ask me if stock photos were ok as another designer asked that none of their pages were "personal" which would make for a better CT layout to display - no jourmaling, no dates, no names - very impersonal to me! The more it means to you the better it is. For ladies that scrap for the memories it's one thing but for those that use stock photos to advertise the kit to the best of it's abilities is understandable.

I have used a stock photo or two in my time for a CT but that's it. As for my pages if I am taking the time to make it I want to be able to enjoy it!

agarzaldynrd
04-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Good morning all,
It is really good to be able to have these conversations. Although I got the idea of using a stock pic for advertising, I never imagined that a stock pic would be better if a personal pic did not fit or match the kit. That also makes sense to me. As for me, I think I'll keep it personal but now have a different understanding!! Thanks.

Darlene Currie
04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I have seen some pretty gorgeous layouts using stock photos. Some of the more common names out there that do a lot of scrapping using these seem to be taking it to more of an "art" form rather than what scrapping was started for - to preserve memories. I think the pages are gorgeous in a lot of cases, but they do seem so impersonal. I have used the odd photo, passed to me in an email, because I thought the photos were so wonderful and fit into a layout I had to create where I had no photo that would fit the theme I had to work with. These pages don't get printed out for my family scrapbooks. Unfortunately, when I was divorced, my husband kept all the photo albums I put together and gave me all the negatives, so I haven't had them all developed and don't have a lot of photos of my kids when they were very young. I thank the internet development now, because I can download pictures of my nieces and nephews and all my great nieces and nephews. I also see some people who have so many photos of their children it looks to me like they've got them posing every day! I find that a little over the top too! To each their own, you get out of it what you want, but I personally love to scrap photos of friends and family.

StacieMac
04-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I understand wanting to make a kit look good in order to sell it and I am not as concerned with using stock images of objects or places; I do that myself. I have done layouts about movies or musicians I like, or places I want to see. However, a lot of these people are not CT members and it is more particularly the ones that use pictures of people that the artist doesn't know, especially children, that bother me.

And the failure to cite the original source drives me CRAZY. But that might just be me. During all of my years of school, practicing law, and teaching writing skills, I learned to place a lot of emphasis on proper citation. If someone is going to use a picture that is not theirs, they absolutely should be able to tell you exactly where it came from, and "google" is never the right answer.

I think I got all riled about it when I thought of the photos I put on my website (watermarked, of course) and how they might one day end up in some total stranger's layout. It weirded me out a lot!

geniaBeana
04-11-2010, 09:46 AM
People taking photos from google images to use on their layouts is WRONG. Those are not stock photos. Models in stock photos have signed releases allowing the photographer to sell those images to be used in all sorts of capacities. Taking images from Google is piracy and I know that as a mother, if I found a photo of my child on some stranger's layout i would be beyond angry.

triciacurtis
04-11-2010, 06:12 PM
So much I just read through and my mind is spinning... first I will say that I have never used nor plan to use an image of people that I don't know - I typically use my son and my husband. That being said, I have downloaded some images from some stock photo sites of places I have visited to scrap those memories because I did not get a chance to take all the photos I wanted, or they turned out very badly in developing (film camera at the time).

Also, keep in mind that if it is a true stock photo, the model and/or parent has signed a release for use of the image. And if they are citing google as the source, like Stacie said, they just aren't citing correctly. If they cited Photobucket or flickr I would be afraid of private photos being used, but citing google it sounds as if they are too lazy to search for and cite the actual source. Many times when I 'google' for an image they come back as stock photos in the early search results. I know not always, but primarily, in my experience.

donakat
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree with you, Tricia, sometime you need a photo of a place to round out your own photos or replace one, or just because you need it for the layout. I've done that, too, to accent the journaling and memories on the page. I especially have so few photos from my teenage and young adult years--I just wasn't taking them then. So I've used postcards and stock photos to illustrate the layout that is specific to my life. I think that's a very valid use, as long as the photo is credited somehow (I have lots of purchased clipart/photos that can't be credited other than with the name of the company).

I also get why some people use the model stock photos for layouts, to advertise a kit, but it still makes me look at the layout with some disdain. It's just not personal, comes across as "faking" to me. And some people will leave comments on what beautiful photographs they are, as if the layout were a personal one.:sad1:

daisydilly
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Lately I've been taking alot of nature shots and some of my pics look like stock photos. I think I'll start adding a name to them or something but that doesn't stop people from taking your pics and claiming them . I alwaya add my own GD's to my LOs and have been beaten up over it but nowdays it's just as easy to nab a photo off the newspaper page or something public as it is to grab it off someone's blog. There are people who do sell photos of their kids for others to use and I find this a bit scary.

carolyn17_4
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
sometime you need a photo of a place to round out your own photos or replace one, or just because you need it for the layout. I've done that, too, to accent the journaling and memories on the page. I especially have so few photos from my teenage and young adult years--I just wasn't taking them then. So I've used postcards and stock photos to illustrate the layout that is specific to my life. I think that's a very valid use,

I actually don't find that stock photos of places, events, food, or that kind of thing is bad at all, (well, as long as you are making the page personal). It's only the stock photos of people or children that really turn me off completely.

diamndprincz
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree with Carolyn .. the ones of ppl are a little weird to me. And Dona, I was almost was silly enough to be one of those commenters... and I was like whoa wait a minute.... I have seen this face somewhere. ( don't judge my airhead moment pls ... LoL ) It is nice to read all the points of views though.

reboscraps
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow! I just happened on this today, which is funny because I posted a LO over the weekend with photo I found online. (Baby Announcement (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=80605&ppuser=24273)) I think it's really great that people recognize and understand that images are works of art and owned by the artist, unless they have given permission.

I agree with a lot of things people have said... I too started scrapping mostly for personal, but in doing CT work, I've had to branch out, scrapping photos of others, because I don't have photos that work with every kit. For example, the Baby Announcement was made from a baby kit... I don't have kids, and I just wanted to whip up something quick, so I didn't want to e-mail someone and ask them to borrow a photo of their baby girl. :) I specifically created that LO to showcase the kit, I won't ever print it or use it. I have also occasionally used images of places, monuments, logos, etc. to accent a page, no differently than I would when paper-scrapping by using postcards, brochures, etc. in my pages.

I did want to chime in about using google search, because it is possible to use this tool and not pirate images. (Read on for long explanation... ) For example, the image in the Baby Announcement was found using a google image search. I start at Google Image Search (http://images.google.com/) and enter what I'm looking for, like "baby girl" in this case, but I ALWAYS click on "Advanced Image Search" which brings me to a secondary search screen with lots of options. One of those options is "Usage Rights" and I normally select "labeled for reuse." One common search result at that point is images on wikipedia commons, where I pulled this image from. I downloaded the image, and did a screen print of the license info that was available. This picture was marked, "I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible: [/I]I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.[/I]" I am keeping a copy of that on file with my page, just in case the person who posted the copy I downloaded is a pirate and somebody comes after me... my you-know-what is covered.

Good discussion.

geniaBeana
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
You have to be careful even then. If you are using a kit for CT purposes just selecting re-use may not cut it because in reality you are using that image for advertising that kit and that would be considered commercial re-use.

And I see that that brings up images in Flickr. I know that there are probably lots and lots of Flickr users that don't know how to set permissions on their images and I would hesitate to use any from there as those are NOT stock images.

StacieMac
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I think it is important that everyone realize that even stock photography needs to be properly credited. Just because something is available for public use or released into the public domain doesn't mean that it can be used without proper citation. Consider this: the works of William Shakespeare are considered public domain, but you would never quote any of his work and then cite "google" or "public domain." You would include the author's name either in your layout or in your layout notes.

I don't know why, but this issue seems to bother me more than most.

donakat
04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't blame you for being bothered Stacie. Anyone who's had work they created be stolen and used as their own by someone else knows how hurt to the core it makes you, and angry, and bitter. Hard to get over too, it seems.:cry: