PDA

View Full Version : School Album Ideas?

elenasworld
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey There

I am putting together an album for my dd's first year of school.
Granted, it is only preschool, but they did so many fun projects and she learned so many songs -- some she still sings all the time

I thought I would try to kill two birds with one stone, and make a book for her and general enough to give to the teacher at the end of the year too. I have photos of the other children from the parties and events, so I think I have at least two good photos of each child. I would include photos of the class and some of the projects they did too. (since I am thinking I need to scan dd's stuff anyway so that

I was just wondering if there are any teachers our there, and would you like a gift like this? I thought that maybe a nice photobook that other kids and parents can look at and get an idea of the school and some things they do, but still personal enough so that the teacher could look back at some of the fun things from that year.

Any suggestions would be so helpful to me.

thanks

CGOOD
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Liz, I work with pre-schoolers and I would love a gift like that! You're ideas sound great. I work with 2yr olds & during the year I've been taking pictures of the children, their art & special activities and of course the holiday celebrations. I plan to scrap some of these, and put them on a dvd for each parent. As a parent do you think that is something you would like( I would personalize for each child)?

britaneejean
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
i don't have a preschooler but my sisters all got dvds/"yearbooks" from their preschool teacher & they loved them! they create such a bond with the teacher & this is perfect for them. i love the idea Liz & i'm sure her teacher would love it!

irishgull
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Liz! I'm a preschool educator, but things in Italy are very different from there! We are not allowed to do such a thing for children privacy reasons. Besides it's ok if in the book there is only your child. As a teacher I would be delighted to receive such a book or DVD, not only for a souvenir of the child, but also as a physical parents appreciation of my/school work.
But we go in the opposite way: it's us, the teachers, who make a book with the photos and descriptions of every single child doing educative and routine activities, pretend and free play, and so on. We will give the parents this book at the end of the school term with all the paintings/drawings done during the year. That's the reason why I'm working so hard at home too in these days, lol!!! But, despite this book is something that we have to make as a form of communication between teachers and parents, we are not allowed to make DVD with photo presentations or CD.
Let us know what you will do, I'm so interested in this topic!!!

elenasworld
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow, I would love a DVD from my dd's teacher, That would be cool, since the only interaction I get as a parent with her in school is at the little parties they have. So I feel I miss out on a lot, eventhough she comes home with fantastic artwork and projects, she tells me little of the day. The teacher gives us a schedule of daily plans and then we get feedback each day we pick up the kiddos. Still, to see what she is really like in class would be fun.

And, such difference in our cultural norms. I would hate to have my dd's teacher have to give me anything, that seems such a chore. But now you all have me thinking of DVD's :)

donakat
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
This sounds like a wonderful idea to me, Liz. I did a book of 4th-5th graders art, poetry, and stories one year I was a writing aide in the classroom. The kids loved having those books, and I'm sure the parents still have them! I think making one now would be so much more awesome with all the tools we have. I was working on a Mac Plus and a dot-matrix printer at the time I made the class book!

JAB
04-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I have done books for my kids teachers for the past several years ( preschool and elementary). Like you I take pictures at all the parties, fieldtrips, events all year so all children are included. I also go up and take a picture of each individual student. Then I ask each one to tell me one thing about the year that they like/remember- favorite activity, what they love about their teacher, etc. - with the preschoolers I emailed all the parents and had them ask their child and send me the info. The older kids I asked-
Then when I put the book together I had one page per child - with their picture and what they said. When I printed the books for my kids to keep I just left those pages out...but included them for the teacher books. The teachers have always loved them!

elenasworld
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
what fantastic ideas
and Julie -- asking the kids is so cool.
mine is in preschool and about half the parents are just not available and dont participate. i am thinking of asking the teacher to see if she might as the kids one thing they like. i would certainly share the book with the other parents too. i have been looking around to see if i can find some good pricing

i am scanning in some of the cute projects and putting together some of the songs they learned too. the nice thing is my dd's teacher likes to put all the words right on the page.

i asked my dd her favorite song, which is five little hot dogs frying in a pan... now, since she doesn't have this one in her papers, i am on the lookout for a digital frying pan and hot dog...what are the chances?

thank you everyone for all your ideas.
i am putting them all to good use.
i will upload my album with the pages of just my dd or her projects.
i am thinking this will take me a couple of weeks to finish.

maybe we can have a speed scrap school song and project book :laugh:

Gem
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow! What creative people! I would have loved to have received a classbook of the year such as you have written about.

honu
04-12-2010, 08:49 AM
When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher made me an album of my experience with her class. It was so touching that she went through the trouble of putting the album together for me. I've been teaching for 12 years now and I have not recieved anything like that since. I still have the album, too!

I would love to get something like this again! Have fun creating =)

agarzaldynrd
04-12-2010, 02:46 PM
What a great idea. As a principal, I'd love a book of all the things that happen on my campus every year.

elenasworld
05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I just wanted to post back here about the photobook for my dd's preschool teacher.
My dd's teacher cried. She said in 17 years of teaching she has never received a gift that has meant so much. A few of the other teachers came up to me today at graduation and said they cried when my dd's teacher showed them the book.

I just want to thank you all for helping me out and giving me your input.
Making the book carried me through my dd's first year at school and it was so wonderful and fun to see the progression of her lettering, coloring, cutting and artwork over the year.
I am going to make several more pages and include songs and things I didn't have time earlier, and of course photos of graduation today.

britnkaysmemaw2
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
That is fabulous Liz. How wonderful that the teacher loved it and that you have those wonderful memories documented.

SparkysGirl
05-19-2010, 03:19 AM
I just wanted to post back here about the photobook for my dd's preschool teacher.
My dd's teacher cried. She said in 17 years of teaching she has never received a gift that has meant so much. A few of the other teachers came up to me today at graduation and said they cried when my dd's teacher showed them the book.

I just want to thank you all for helping me out and giving me your input.
Making the book carried me through my dd's first year at school and it was so wonderful and fun to see the progression of her lettering, coloring, cutting and artwork over the year.
I am going to make several more pages and include songs and things I didn't have time earlier, and of course photos of graduation today.

That's wonderful, Liz! It's so rewarding to give a gift that means so much to someone. Great job!

donakat
05-19-2010, 07:32 PM
So glad your book was well received, Liz! I'm sure her teacher will treasure it, and remember YOU forever