PDA

View Full Version : Journaling...

elenasworld
03-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I know that many scrappers have a dislike, and even a "fear" of journaling.
In Speed Scraps, some of us just cringe at the mention of the "J" word

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on journaling are?
what types of things would help you try out journaling?

I am not talking revealing your most treasured feelings and thoughts.
I am talking about chronicling the "Who What When Where Why's" of a photo / event, or a little more than a fun title and the date.

I am thinking of starting an album (have you seen those books in the stores where moms and grandmas, fathers and grandfathers are given prompts. and the idea is to share to book with loved ones) that tells about me and my life, maybe things I remember of childhood, family friends, trips to see my grandparents. It is obvious that none of my siblings would do this, but I am feeling that there are so many family stories that our children would want to know.

So, what are you thoughts on journaling?

Scrappinsass
03-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I like the idea of letting others know the W5 of things, however since I print out in 8 x 8 - I usually print that stuff out on plain paper and attach it to the rear of the layout. The front I leave for titling, dates and maybe a quip or sentiment. I find if there is too much journaling, you can't really see it to read it on the smaller size layout, so I try to employ Cathy's *K.I.S.S* method (keep it simple stupid). Works for me anyway! :biggrin:

RE: one of those *books*.. I gave one to a neighbour who was 85 at the time, and she had the most fun entering things in it because it had a "page a day" approach to it. At the end of the year, she had a great present to give her daughter! I love the idea!! Some of things were like, your favorite colour and what did you own/like in that colour, tell about your earliest memory in life, tell about funny story about you and a sibling, tell about your earliest recollection of your grandmother, who was your best friend at 5, 10, 15 years old etc etc.. A Project 365 of a different nature!

elenasworld
03-20-2010, 02:30 PM
That is a great idea!
When I did paper scrapping, I usually tried to find a fun way to have the journaling hidden, behind something that moved, in a little pocket inside an envelope.

SlidingKat
03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Usually I am really bad about journaling. I have two types: non-existant and more than can comfortably fit on a page.

What really encourages me to journal is going back and looking at my old scrapbooks...the fact that there is no journaling, no When, no Who (although I can still recognize the who's), Where and What really makes me motivated to journal.

My problem is I do my pages way after they happened...so I've forgotten by then what I wanted to say when I took the photo. So I try to keep a journal that I write in everyday before I go to bed. Just a little composition book where I jot down highlights of the day. That way I can look at the photo date and then flip to that date and get a feeling where my mind was at.

SparkysGirl
03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I think journaling is so important. My approach is this: if I were to hand a page or photo to someone, what would I "say" about it as they looked. I try to include that in the journal. I won't always be around to "say" what ought to be shared about the photos. For instance, we received a bunch of photos from family members that passed away ... and sadly ... we don't know the "story" behind some of them. I look at the faces, and I wonder what lessons or stories they would share if they had the opportunity. If there are living relatives that can give insight ... I am taking the chance to go and talk with them to get the story, but sadly, some will never be known.

britaneejean
03-20-2010, 06:01 PM
i love journaling! i don't post very many pages with my journaling just because i don't want everyone to know what goes on in my life :) but i still love to journal. scrapbooking is a form of family history for me & i also consider it my journal-wouldn't be that way if i didn't journal on my pages. i want my future family to know what's gone on in my life. i love all the different ways to journal-topics, WA, songs/lyrics, cliches, etc...it's great :D

donakat
03-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I love seeing journaling on a page, whether it's my own or others. It gives such insight into who the person is, and if it's telling a family story, so much the better. After all, these scrapbooks will live on after us in some form (hopefully), and our grandchildren SHOULD know what life was like for us, and for our grandparents--the chain of life--and how we cherish THEM.

Liz, the idea of giving someone those prompts is a great one, but you have to let them have plenty of time to finish it--they'll remember things later on, and need to have somewhere to write them down. The day-by-day idea is great! I also take along a minicassette recorder (there are fancier digital ones now) whenever I visit a cemetery or an old member of the family, to capture their memories without having to be distracted by writing them down.

crystals622
03-21-2010, 08:12 AM
For me, journaling is a must. One of the reasons I scrapbook is to preserve memories. Photos don't do it on there own. Sometimes my journaling is a simple as the W's--especially true when the pics do a great job of telling the story. Other times it feels like I'm writing a book.

carolyn17_4
03-21-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm a HUGE journaler. Most of my layouts in the gallery are usually missing the journaling that I put on afterwards just b/c I'm more private and don't want some things out in the public. I think it's the butter of the page (pictures being the bread...haha) I've always felt that pictures without some kind of description just loses its specialness over time. In 10 years that's what will be very important, knowing those who, what, when, where and why's.

techie girl
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I love to read journaling on a page.The layouts in the gallery with journaling always catches my eye first,but I must say I am terrible at it.Wordart is my friend.
I sometimes sit for ages looking at a page I need to post wondering what I should write.Is it enough?Is it too much? One thing I always put in is the date and who is in the photos.To me those two things should always be on a layout. Sometimes the one I post is not the one I print for my album because I add journaling later.

Debra
03-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I think journaling is so important. My approach is this: if I were to hand a page or photo to someone, what would I "say" about it as they looked. I try to include that in the journal. I won't always be around to "say" what ought to be shared about the photos. For instance, we received a bunch of photos from family members that passed away ... and sadly ... we don't know the "story" behind some of them. I look at the faces, and I wonder what lessons or stories they would share if they had the opportunity. If there are living relatives that can give insight ... I am taking the chance to go and talk with them to get the story, but sadly, some will never be known.

exactly my sentiments.... I know that someday I won't be here to tell the story behind those photographs, so the journaling will have to do it for me. Even now, my kids don't necessarily know who the loved ones are in old photographs and without my scrapping, they never would since there is no one else around who could tell them.

Isn't it awesome too that we can create duplicates so that all of our children can have the keepsakes rather than just one, etc.?