PDA

View Full Version : To save or not to save

landofoz
03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
when we make lay outs,we save as
1 .psd

2 .jpg

3 Save for web

When we have uploaded the lo do you keep all 3?

Mine are building up what do you do?

maggie:confused1:

agarzaldynrd
03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Maggie,
I've always kept all 3 but I know how much room that takes up. I bought an external drive to store everything.

elenasworld
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I generally keep the .psd's because I dont print right away.
Once I print, then I move them to the EDH /backup DVD's to save space on my hard drive.
I keep the web images until I back up

Andrea also suggests keeping your full size .jpg because over time you may not be able to read the .psd file . I know there was another thread somewhere where Andrea explained it. I will try to find it.

I know some people delete as soon as they print, and some even delete the photos as soon as they print, since they have the page and they scrapped those photos.

I have a delete phobia when it comes to my photos. I only delete the worst photos, like backs of heads, a person chopped in half, the dd running too fast and she is a big blur. I tend to take a lot of photos, but I also back them up to the EHD and a hard copy to DVD's. I am working on a second DVD back up too, to bring to my parents just in case. I have had several friends lose all their photos and have no backup, so I go a bit overboard with the backup.

donakat
03-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Maggie, once you have uploaded your small jpg file to a gallery, you don't need that file anymore, and you can delete it. If you save the psd file you can always generate a new jpg file from it. So, you may want to have a backup of all your psd files (off the main computer) to make sure you always have access to the original.

honu
03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
I only keep the psd and the jpeg files. I never keep the "save for web" images. Don't need em once they are posted.

geniaBeana
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I need to go through and clean out my web sized images. I'm holding on to a few, because through my inability to save as I go I've lost a few final psds that I need to recreate so that I have printable layouts.

irishgull
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I delete only the save for web copies. I keep the other 2 versions and I back them up in 2 different EHD (I'm paranoic, but I'm so afraid to loose my files). I would never ever delete the psd file because it happens often that I decide to change something even after my finished LO.

michellemomof3
03-17-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't save as a web page and once I know I like the LO as is, I only keep the jpg. I also back up everything. I have ALL of my pics in 1 place & then I have a copy in my "Scrapbooking" folder & delete them from there once I've used them that way I don't use them again.
And of course, I back everything up every few months.

AZK
03-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Well, Maggie, right now I'm with you--I save all 3 files. I just bought my first EHD for storage like Anna. If (who am I kidding-WHEN) that starts to fill up I'll have to reconsider. :)

agarzaldynrd
03-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Good time to stop and say....back up your files!! I know it takes forever, and that is why I haven't done mine in a few months, but I'm gonna do it right now!!!

BTW, Jeni..great siggie!!

daisydilly
03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I never gave it much thought as to saving web sized LOs. Once they are posted I don't see a need for them but I still back them up and I still have many in my files on computer. I save all my files to flash drives and CD's--especially the important things like the kits I've bought and my pictures. I guess I need to do the same with my regular sized LOs as I have been really slack in that area.

StacieMac
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I save all 3. I find it particularly useful to save the small web image as I post to multiple galleries and can also use it if I want to email it to a friend or family member to preview. I have moved all of my scrapbooking files to a large EHD so they don't clutter up my computer. I have them backed up on another computer and another EHD. (Backups are HUGE at my house!)

Scrappinsass
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I save them all... mainly because the file managers do not show me the thumbnails of the .psd files.. so I rely on the .jpgs to know which file I'm looking for LOL. Make sense? Besides with 3T of space.. I'm hardly running short at the moment. That could change... lol :biggrin:

SlidingKat
03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I keep the *.PSD files (so I can edit later If PSD goes out of format I'll convert the format at that time).

I also save a *.Tiff file that goes into my screen saver folder (this is my album, because I don't print anymore)

Then finally I have a folder titled WEB that I save the *.jpg file to upload. Every couple months I go back and delete these.

I prefer the larger tiff files rather than jpg, because all my old scrapbook pages are puny and look like sh*t when you try to stretch the jpg to get a good view of the page. With TB harddrives at $100 I just buy another hard drive.