PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have switched from Elements to Photoshop CS?

amandamoo
02-14-2010, 12:46 PM
I started digital scrapping on the software that came with my digital camera, got frustrated with the inability to use brushes, and purchased PS Element 5.0.
Lately, I've been thinking about upgrading to PSCS4 (or CS5 when it comes out, if I drag my feet long enough).
I'm just wondering if it's really worth the money if all I'm doing is scrapbooking and a little graphics work for my church.

Thoughts, anyone?

techie girl
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I have been using PSE5 for years.I upgraded from PSE3. I never went any futher because I loved it and still do.My first program was PSP 8.I went from 8 to 10 and now to 12X. I still use it to do some things. I think 12X fixes photos better that any.
3 years ago my son gave me PSCS3 for my birthday and I now love it.It's a steep learning curve but thanks to Andrea Gold I love it even more.I finished her advanced classes in December.It is rings around PSE but I still go back to old faithful for quickies.I would love to have CS4 but alas I am scrapbook software poor.

agarzaldynrd
02-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm gonna watch this thread. I am also thinking of getting CS4 since i want to take over my school's website and there is training w/in our district for dreamweaver. I've gone from PSE5 to 6 to 7....and I love pse but I see such great stuff out there being created by CS4. I don't think I'm going to be patient and wait until 5 is released.

DeannaJ
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
if you are a student, you can get a student version for about 200.00. It might be worth it to go back to school!!

britnkaysmemaw2
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I really want to upgrade to PS CS 4, but alas, the $$$$ is a huge stopping point. I would love to know if anyone who is upgrading wants to sell their current version, even PS CS 3.

southflascrapper
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I love CS4. It needs alot of ram to run it smoothly though. I have 3mb of ram on a new Win 7 laptop running CS4 and it uses most of the 3mb to run PS. I have never used PSE before. I started with PS 7, went to CS3e, then up to CS4e over the past 9 years.

Scrappinsass
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I've use CS3 and 4 (prefer 3) and only 1G of ram and my machine is 7 years old.. with a old Pentium 3 chip. The trick to running it is to make sure you're not clogging your system with temp files and old useless files in the registry AND making sure Photoshop has a huge scratch disk to put it's temp files. So you can run it ok if you're diligent about keeping your system clean then you shouldn't have any problems. I also don't use huge memory suckers like ACDSee or Bridge when using Photoshop - I just use good old Windows Explorer to find my files and drag them over. I use ACDSee or Bridge to tag, sort etc etc when I'm not using Photoshop. Keeps it nice and easy and running fast.

landofoz
02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Also a great tool to have on you pc is CCleaner and is a free download

southflascrapper
02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the tips Lone. I am getting another huge external hard drive this week that I can use for the scratch drive on my desktop for running CS3. It just gets stuck and runs slow alot and it irritates me. I don't have a scratch disk assigned to it right now. I'm also upgrading the ram this month from 1mb to 2mb. I personally know that I have alot of junk in my registry on this 5 year old machine.

The CS4 on my laptop doesn't get stuck at all just a tad slow, but I always have Bridge open at the same time when running PS. Bridge is a memory sucker. I like working on CS4 better, only because it has a prettier interface and I have more ram on my laptop. I like having the adjustments panels on the palette (or rather, PANEL in cs4 lol) and the 3d menus. They spent time making the interface more aesthetically attractive. I like PRETTY.

Thank you for the links you provided Maggie. I am checking them out now.

I've use CS3 and 4 (prefer 3) and only 1G of ram and my machine is 7 years old.. with a old Pentium 3 chip. The trick to running it is to make sure you're not clogging your system with temp files and old useless files in the registry AND making sure Photoshop has a huge scratch disk to put it's temp files. So you can run it ok if you're diligent about keeping your system clean then you shouldn't have any problems. I also don't use huge memory suckers like ACDSee or Bridge when using Photoshop - I just use good old Windows Explorer to find my files and drag them over. I use ACDSee or Bridge to tag, sort etc etc when I'm not using Photoshop. Keeps it nice and easy and running fast.

DavisChronicles
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
For those of you who haven't upgraded yet because of the cost, have you checked ebay? You can find CS4, new ( non-student) for under or around $200.00. Plus Adobe currently has a promotion where you can upgrade to
CS4 for $299.00. The promotion is running until Feb 20th.
Hope this helps!! =)

amandamoo
02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow! So much great info!

OK, I'm going to show my self-taught computer skills here...
How do I check my Scratch disk size or change something about it? I don't even know where to look for that.

Help!

donakat
02-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Amanda, it should be in the Preferences area, wherever that is located in your program (for Macs it is under the Photoshop Elements menu item), and then under "Performance". You can specify another drive, such as an EHD with lots of space, for a primary or secondary scratch disk.

MamaSchwich
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I am wondering the same thing... I am a student now, but will be graduating in May, so I have 4 months to decide if I want to upgrade... Does PS work faster with all of your styles in than PSE does? I like styles a lot, and have 100+ of them loaded, which isn't too much of a problem, but sometimes it does slow way down. A few people said "when I had PSE, I took them out", indicating that when they had PSCS4, they didn't need to anymore???? Is that true, does it run faster/more efficiently?
Honestly, I am only a scrapper, no graphics freelance work or anything. Some CU elements altering (color, etc...), and sure, I would love to write in a path... What are we missing? What will CS let us do that we can't with PSE?
Thanks!

Scrappinsass
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
..styles a lot, and have 100+ of them loaded, which isn't too much of a problem, but sometimes it does slow way down. A few people said "when I had PSE, I took them out", indicating that when they had PSCS4, they didn't need to anymore???? Is that true, does it run faster/more efficiently?
Thanks!

You should be able to sort your styles into groups and save them as group then you can load and unload them when you need them. That will surely speed things up. Same with your brushes. and Photoshop users do the same thing.. well if your short on resources they do. Same with fonts.. I only load the ones I want to use at the time.. I use a small free program called *the font thing*(just type that into the browers to bring up sites where you can d/l it) to preview all the fonts and then I decide which ones I want to load. I can un-install or install with this program so it's a fairly easy task. THEN I load Photoshop so it recognizes the ones that I've just installed. As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, Elements is a streamlined and stripped down version of Photoshop, without all the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps a little.

landofoz
02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Dawn i would not advise anyone to buy from Ebay i bought a brand new CS4. $355.00 put it on working fine ,then a big message from Adobe Illegal copy! (words to that effect)or put your serial No in. then another message Illegal. No such serial no .I got back on again to the seller, she was not going to give me a refund.She said i was very lucky to get $ 200.00 back I only got the refund on one condition, that i rated her status good. I had received the property and had no choice. Would you believe i did it again, found another seller on ebay and the same thing happened. The seller told me to keep the copy and he would send another, same thing i now have 3 copies (i will never be able to upgrade)for the low price, when i get enough money i will buy from Adobe only. maggie

landofoz
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.tumasoft.com/
this is a great tool you can save all your brushes styles swatches patterns anything you want .

Its called Preset Viewer

SlidingKat
02-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Amanda, it should be in the Preferences area, wherever that is located in your program (for Macs it is under the Photoshop Elements menu item), and then under "Performance". You can specify another drive, such as an EHD with lots of space, for a primary or secondary scratch disk.

Using an external harddrive as a scratch disk isn't going to help much. If your EHD is attached via a SATA port it will help some. However, an EHD attached via a USB port has such a slow read / write speed that it defeats the purpose of a scratch disc.

southflascrapper
02-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks Lone. This is what was bogging my PS down. I deleted 400mg of unused styles and it's alot faster. I didn't use 95% of them but had them loaded anyway. I did some 'housecleaning' on the pc yesterday and it's running alot better. How do you only install 'certain fonts' in Photoshop? My PS brings up every single font I have installed on my computer (and it's ALOT). I also have The Font Thing installed on my pc but when I install fonts I think that Windows is handling the action.

I appreciate everyone throwing in their two cents here about Photoshop.

You should be able to sort your styles into groups and save them as group then you can load and unload them when you need them. That will surely speed things up. Same with your brushes. and Photoshop users do the same thing.. well if your short on resources they do. Same with fonts.. I only load the ones I want to use at the time.. I use a small free program called *the font thing*(just type that into the browers to bring up sites where you can d/l it) to preview all the fonts and then I decide which ones I want to load. I can un-install or install with this program so it's a fairly easy task. THEN I load Photoshop so it recognizes the ones that I've just installed. As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, Elements is a streamlined and stripped down version of Photoshop, without all the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps a little.

techie girl
02-16-2010, 06:58 AM
I love tumasoft.It;s the best preset viewer I have ever seen.It works with all your presets in all your programs even psp.I have had it about a year.
I don't have any preset loaded in my cs3.I get what I want from the preset manager and when I close they are gone until the next time I need them.I think it makes a huge difference in speed.

techie girl
02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't have any fonts installed on my computer except the default fonts that came with windows and the default fonts that came with my program.All the rest of the hundreds I have are in a folder in my documents named "my fonts"When I want to use one from the folder I open the folder first and open the font(double click on the font)mininize it to the task bar and then open my program.It will show up in the drop down menu with the font tool.When you are through close cs or pse first and then the font.It will not be installed on your computer.If you save your layers in ps format,simplify your fonts before closing,if you don't when you open the page to edit,you will get a message that the font can't be found and needs to change to something else.If you save as .jpg you are good to go.
Does this make sense? I do it all the time.
This method also makes boot-up time a lot faster.

DavisChronicles
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Dawn i would not advise anyone to buy from Ebay i bought a brand new CS4. $355.00 put it on working fine ,then a big message from Adobe Illegal copy! (words to that effect)or put your serial No in. then another message Illegal. No such serial no .I got back on again to the seller, she was not going to give me a refund.She said i was very lucky to get $ 200.00 back I only got the refund on one condition, that i rated her status good. I had received the property and had no choice. Would you believe i did it again, found another seller on ebay and the same thing happened. The seller told me to keep the copy and he would send another, same thing i now have 3 copies (i will never be able to upgrade)for the low price, when i get enough money i will buy from Adobe only. maggie

Yikes!! That's awefull! I have some neighbors who have purchased CS4 on ebay, and had no problems. It's really sad what people will do to make money!!
When I do upgrade though, it will be through Adobes promo upgrades. =)

Scrappinsass
02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Lone. This is what was bogging my PS down. I deleted 400mg of unused styles and it's alot faster. I didn't use 95% of them but had them loaded anyway. I did some 'housecleaning' on the pc yesterday and it's running alot better. How do you only install 'certain fonts' in Photoshop? My PS brings up every single font I have installed on my computer (and it's ALOT). I also have The Font Thing installed on my pc but when I install fonts I think that Windows is handling the action.

I appreciate everyone throwing in their two cents here about Photoshop.

Right.. well the fonts ARE installed on your entire PC, that is true.. and you can't load them like you do brushes which is darn shame :confused1: so what I do, cause I don't really need the fancy stuff in any other program, is only have the few 50 odd ones (haven't counted maybe it's more maybe it's less) that are Wind~blows default fonts and then.. when I'm doing a layout and need a font, I shut down CS3 and I will hunt through The Font Thing to find the font and install it. Then start up CS3 and the font is there. I know it's a lot of mucking around and I do keep a few (maybe 10 fonts) that are my favs loaded, but it does speed things up when you low on resources (resources = memory and/or disk space) to not have these things loaded all the time and I'm such a *collector* that I have quiet the font stash! So using The Font Thing to make collections and only load them when I need them really works for me!
:wink::biggrin:

donakat
02-16-2010, 05:03 PM
And if you're a Mac person like me, try out the super font organizer called Linotype Font Explorer X (for System X). It's free, and equally as good as the ones which cost up to $100 (I know, as I've tried them). You turn them on and off as needed, group them in categories to keep them easy to find, etc. Go here (http://www.linotype.com/2393/fontexplorer.html) to find out more about this application.
It's also available on the same page, for the PC.

HollyS
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Wowza, these are all great suggestions! Thanks so much for sharing the info ladies.

I started out with PSE5 and have moved to CS2. Haven't upgraded to a later version yet.

landofoz
02-18-2010, 02:57 AM
i love these little tips and if everyone keeps it going its great

maggie

amandamoo
02-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I agrees with Holly and Maggie -- thanks so much for all the input! Keep that info coming. I certainly have a lot to learn!

southflascrapper
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I love all of you, thank you for helping me clean my PS files up. I wish that I would have asked someone earlier! I tend to download alot of 'stuff' and then I tend to forget about it and there it sits. Thank you for the font tips everyone, it's time that I start deleting fonts that I don't need anymore (omg there are tons). I have too many installed. I am going to use the 'open as needed' tip and maybe leave a handful of favorites in PS. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help, and so does my pc!

landofoz
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I dont know if you know this one ?
for photoshop users.in the fore gound and back ground boxes,when you want to change back to black\white hit D on your pc and click on x to reverse it

landofoz
02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Yikes!! That's awefull! I have some neighbors who have purchased CS4 on ebay, and had no problems. It's really sad what people will do to make money!!
When I do upgrade though, it will be through Adobes promo upgrades. =)

Sorry i must say i have bought other items on ebay with no problem just dont buy Software!!:frown:

triciacurtis
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
And if you're a Mac person like me, try out the super font organizer called Linotype Font Explorer X (for System X). It's free, and equally as good as the ones which cost up to $100 (I know, as I've tried them). You turn them on and off as needed, group them in categories to keep them easy to find, etc. Go here (http://www.linotype.com/2393/fontexplorer.html) to find out more about this application.
It's also available on the same page, for the PC.

For all you fab Mac-ers out there, also look into Fontcase (http://www.bohemiancoding.com/fontcase/). It's like iTunes for your fonts. I love it!!

donakat
02-18-2010, 02:49 PM
For all you fab Mac-ers out there, also look into Fontcase (http://www.bohemiancoding.com/fontcase/). It's like iTunes for your fonts. I love it!!

That looks interesting, and I'm going to try it out. Very much Macintosh in design! Thanks for the link, Tricia.