PDA

View Full Version : Scrap for Hire - Your Thoughts?

StacieMac
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I am considering starting a little scrap-for-hire side business. As I seem to spend all my time on the computer and in Photoshop, I thought being paid for it might not be a bad idea. I am interested to see if any of you have done this before. I am looking to start small, doing projects for church members and family friends, but always like to plan for bigger things.

Do any of you do this? And more importantly, have any of you had any success with this in the past?

j_camargo6
02-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Sounds fun! I don't know anything about it, but I wish you luck!

StacieMac
02-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Anybody? [Bueller? Bueller? :hi:]

britaneejean
02-16-2010, 05:51 AM
i had a friend attempt it & she did a beautiful job but it wasn't a popular thing in our area. so many people here scrapbook so she didn't get alot of business but i know several family members out of state that would pay for their pages to be beautifully scrapped. good luck with it!

carolyn17_4
02-16-2010, 06:29 AM
I actually thought about this myself. I sat down and figured out what my costs (printed album) plus my time and work put into it and came up with what I felt was a decent figure. I had worked out that for so many pages to charge $x amount and then it slowly went down in price the more pages to be done. (I had worked it out as a per page amount)

When I had told someone about my plans they thought it was a great idea, until I got to the price. After asking several people what they'd be willing to pay I got very discouraged. They want this wonderful album, but don't really want to pay more than what it would cost to be printed. Basically me working for next to nothing.

So then I thought I could try to sell pages separately on ebay. I went and checked it out and there were people selling pre-done pages for dirt cheap. Looking there kind of killed it for me.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you, I really do think it's a great idea as I wanted to do the same. But, figure out what you'd like to be paid, or how you'd like to go about doing your work (one page for sale, or an entire album) and see if you can justify the business end before putting too much time and work into it.

If you do come up with something that works pm me, b/c I'm also interested. :)

cascrappinggirl
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
It's not worth it. People now can easily put an album together themselves on any website that prints your photos. You albums may be more elaborate and much better designed, but there is only a very small market for that and you have to find that market. You also need to be able o speed scrap and put pages together really fast and at the same time have them look much better than the book they can order online.

You will have to advertise - advertise - advertise! Where ever you can.

If I haven'tdiscouraged you yet, start building up a website at www.etsy.com. You can create digital layouts and sell them there for the price you want. Put together mini album etc. It is cheap, they do some advertising themselves by showcasing interesting stores and you can link your customers drectly to your own website on Etsy.

Main thing is, if you like to try ...... do it. You will never know if it works for you. Bottom line is, it may or it may not. And just because it didn't work for others, doesn't mean it won't for you.

Sexy__Eyes
02-16-2010, 07:45 AM
I opened a S4H business a year and a half ago. It is very expensive to start ie: advertising, S4H kits, printer, paper, ink, and because of the economy selling albums is just about a bust. I have done several craft shows, which also cost time and money and MANY people like the idea but say they dont have the money at the time.
You really dont want to price your work any lower than it costs to make them. You need to take into consideration the cost of ink, paper and mostly your time, which I believe is the most important. I wouldnt think of doing a page and only charge 50 cents for the hours it took me to design it. Would Rembrant sell a painting for 5 dollars?
Another thing to consider is if your planning on selling quick pages, you need to check the designers TOU to see if you are not breaking their rules. Most S4H designers say you may sell a page to a client in a flattened form, but they also classify a small business as selling < a certain number of pages, and selling on ebay might bring you over that limit. So please look closely at the legal issues before starting.
So far in the 18 months I started I made 0 (zero) albums, but did make 20 single page prints, matted and framed. This year I can say Im just about even money wise.
If you would like to see my website PM me and Ill gladly send you the link.

Im not trying to discourage you to start one, Im just making you aware of some of the costs and time you put into running one. Just be patient and you will get the customers.

cascrappinggirl
02-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Another thought that might work for you much better is to become a digi designer. It's something I am itching to try out, but am still too new to this whole digi thing. Have only been digi scrapping since New Year 2010 LOL

briarwoodpups
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a feeling the market is going to be working with a photographer. When someone comes in for a photo shoot and they want to walk away with an album of photos, let's say for a special event, then they might want a cover page that is scrapped - something special and unique for their album.

diamndprincz
02-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I'd have to agree with Jayne. When I go to Portrait Innovations, I want better looking decorative frames..they have the general holidays but it looks very elementary and plain. We do much better than that here.