PDA

View Full Version : do you take presets out of PSE?

MamaSchwich
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Okay, so I couldn't decide if I should put this in newbies or not... I kind of thought it might be something that a newbie wouldn't be interested in yet, but I AM a newbie, so, there you go...
Anyway, my PSE 7 is running suuuuuupppppper duper slowly. How many of you take your presets out of the folder, then add them back in when you need them? Is this feasible (I do use the Add-o-matic)? I don't organize my photos the same way most people do, so I don't really think I want acdsee, either. Any advice? I am tired of waiting for every move to take ages in PSE.
BTW, I am running a crazy new system with a i7 quad core (really 8 processors, I guess) and 4 gb RAM, so it's not the computer's fault... It was a lot faster before I put 96 styles in (but I loves me my styles). Help!

j_camargo6
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi :)

I use PS CS4 now, but I'm pretty sure I did the same when I had PSE6......I keep all my presets in folders on my EHD (backed up, OF COURSE!) and open the folder when I want to load something. Until I restart the program, it will look for that type of preset in that folder.

Did that make any sense? It does in my head but doesn't always translate, LOL....

MamaSchwich
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Does that mean that you just take them out and put them back in before you open PSE? Or do I need to uninstall/install them each time? They are all installed now, of course...
Do you not have to do this with PS CS4? I have the opportunity to buy it as a student before I graduate in May, and it will only be 189 or so... that might just push me over the line...

MamaSchwich
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I know I've seen them somewhere before, but now I can't even find them to take them out... argh... where did they go?

Gem
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
They are probably in the Programs folder and then under Adobe, Photo Shop Elements and then probably presets or something similiar.

agarzaldynrd
02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Ok, I have the same question. Am I reading this correctly....you keep in a folder and open the folder but you do not load it??

Hi :)

I use PS CS4 now, but I'm pretty sure I did the same when I had PSE6......I keep all my presets in folders on my EHD (backed up, OF COURSE!) and open the folder when I want to load something. Until I restart the program, it will look for that type of preset in that folder.

Did that make any sense? It does in my head but doesn't always translate, LOL....

j_camargo6
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Everything makes sense in my head until I try and type it out, LOL

I have a folder on my EHD called Presets...inside that folder I have folders titled: Actions, Brushes, Styles, Patterns, Custom Shapes, etc, that contain all the brushes, or all the styles etc, that I have.

When I want a brush that isn't in my brush preset picker already, I click on the little arrow in the top right hand corner. This automatically opens the program files>adobe> presets> brushes (or something like that) folder. I just find the folder on my EHD (by clicking on computer>DriveF:(or whatever your drive is called)>Presets>brushes. I then select/LOAD the brush I want. The window closes, and I then have the brush set I wanted in the brush preset picker. Until I CLOSE Photoshop, anytime I click on the little arrow in the right hand corner of the brush preset picker, it will automatically go to the folder I selected the brush from on my EHD.....

MAN, it's a good thing I'm not being charged by the word!

Did that make more sense? If not, let me know...third time's a charm :)

MamaSchwich
02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
It did make sense, but there's nothing in my Presets folder except the 8 or so that come "preset" with PSE 7.
They are not under any other folders, either, and I have already checked the "show all hidden files" box. There isn't a folder called 7.0 under Photoshop Elements, either, which some people say is where my styles would be. This is soooo frustrating, because I know that they used to be in the presets folder. Funny thing is, they are working fine, I just can't find where they are (to take them out). Another funny thing? since I started thinking about taking them out, PSE 7 is running faster again... ??? huh??? Like those little styles read my mind or something...

j_camargo6
02-07-2010, 04:34 PM
LOL....well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess :)

agarzaldynrd
02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, I think so. I'm going to try it!

agarzaldynrd
02-07-2010, 05:45 PM
So next question...what about actions? I know where to get the presets for brushes but what about actions? Where would I go to get them loaded from my EHD??

j_camargo6
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
To whatever folder you've put them in.....it doesn't matter where...just browse to find that folder when you click on the little arrow to load them in the Actions Tool.

britnkaysmemaw2
02-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I remember someone saying one time that this only works with Brushes, not Styles/Actions in PSE 7.

If you get it to work Anna, let me know. I tried loading some styles & actions into PSE 7 and I know it slowed down PSE drastically.

agarzaldynrd
02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I can't figure it out. I did not try the brushes but I know that I have done that before. The actions don't work unless you load them but I may just not know how to do it. Another class for this type of stuff would be GREAT!!!!

j_camargo6
02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
And I'm not the best teacher, LOL....I just mess around with something until I find a way that works for me....

triciacurtis
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
For PSE 7 there are two versions to use - the classic method where you have to load the .atn file and the .xml file with the .png file for the action thumbnail, or the Action player version, which works much more like the PSCS versions. So it might depend on which you are trying to work with - the classic version, or the new action player version. And I think they are installed in separate places too.