PDA

View Full Version : flattening your image

altimasport
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a quick question

Does it make a difference in your final page if you choose to flatten your image? I am taking the beginners elements class and in the template lesson it says to flatten your image. I have only done this to a few pages for homework. Do I need to go back and do this to all my pages? Does it have to be done for printing purposes.
Thanks so much in advance,
Chris

landofoz
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi, i use to when i started at first, Then i read somewhere not to flatten images , so try one Unflattened)and see if you can upload it, then you will have your answer . (i use CS4)

donakat
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a quick question

Does it make a difference in your final page if you choose to flatten your image? I am taking the beginners elements class and in the template lesson it says to flatten your image. I have only done this to a few pages for homework. Do I need to go back and do this to all my pages? Does it have to be done for printing purposes.
Thanks so much in advance,
Chris

You will need to make a smaller jpg, flattened, image to load into gallery pages, and generally you also need to upload jpgs at highest resolution for printing. I end up with three files: the original psd file from Photoshop, a small jpg for the gallery, and a high res jpg for printing. The only one I keep forever is the original layered file. The jpgs are just temporary till they do their job, then are deleted. They can always be regenerated from the original.

elenasworld
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
i do the same as Dona

I use Photoshop and from my .psd file I can chose the "save for web" option
that produces another box where I adjust the size to 600x600 and scale down the quality until I get the image somewhere around 140 - 149kb so I can upload to the gallery.

I do not save my .psd as flattened, I keep all the layers so that in the future I can adjust anything, for instance if I am going to print in a book

altimasport
01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Wonderful!! Thats what I needed to know! Thanks so much.
Chris

OneMemory
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that your PSD file may not be forever. As version sets change & update and techonology advances, those may not open properly. Kinda like when you upgraded WORD for the millionth time. Eventually your old docs were not compatible. The best way to archive your pages in a universal (so to say) format is a full resolution jpg. It is a cross-platform file and has been around as long as digital files and produces a fairly managable size.
I save as a psd, jpg and web jpg. Then once printed and I'm happy with it, I only save the jpg's. This is perfect for reproducing if needed, and great on space.
Back to your original question: if you are saving as a jpg (save as or save for web) it has a flatten command already built into the save function so there is no need to flatten it first and then save. ;)

altimasport
01-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Awesome thanks for all the great info. I am new at ALL of this so the more info the better. I think we will probally be snowed in this weekend so I will get my hubby to help me get it all organized. Thanks again!
Chris

elenasworld
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
that is great to know Alisha
sometimes I get lazy and dont save a copy of my full size .jpg

amyp185
01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
This is a great discussion. When I first started digi-scrapping I didn't understand the idea of saving three copies. I can't believe I flattened and saved before I saved the psd! I learned the hard way when I ran into typos in my journaling and didn't really have a way to fix them.

altimasport
01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey I just checked out your blog I really like the stuff. Thank for sharing .
Chris