PDA

View Full Version : Text

landofoz
01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
How do i copy and paste E.G. Poem onto layout page, I tried using text tool ? i use CS4. we did a speed scrap with GB
and she asked that we put the lyrics of a song on our page,
I typed mine in . Is there a easier method?:hairpull:

SparkysGirl
01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
First:
Select your text from your source document/screen and right-click and select "copy" from the displayed menu.

Next:
In your photo editing software (I use PSE, but I would assume it would be something very similar in your application), select your text tool and click within your layout as if you're going to enter text.

Then, with your cursor in the text box, right-click and select "paste" from the displayed menu.

You can then adjust as needed.

Hope this helps!

britnkaysmemaw2
01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
First:
Select your text from your source document/screen and right-click and select "copy" from the displayed menu.

Next:
In your photo editing software (I use PSE, but I would assume it would be something very similar in your application), select your text tool and click within your layout as if you're going to enter text.

Then, with your cursor in the text box, right-click and select "paste" from the displayed menu.

You can then adjust as needed.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm....I have tried that a couple of times and it didn't work for me. Guess I will have to try again. I always just retype too. :confused1:

Scrappinsass
01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
What Lisa said is correct..This is how it works in CS3 and CS4... I've used it many times. I do however, make sure I've got my CS3 or 4 open at the time, then go to the text source and select all the text I want, then I use ctrl + C to copy. I then go to CS3 or 4 and making sure I've got the text tool active, I place the cursor on the spot I want to paste and then I ctrl +v to paste. Works like a charm every time. :biggrin:

In CS3 & 4 there is no text box. Just a text layer.

landofoz
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
lone, No it didnt work i tried many times all i got was a greyed out drop down that i couldnt use if i wanted too.Same thing when Sparky sent her reply i tried and tried and this is so simple i couldn't possibly Make a mistake. then all of a sudden the cursor came up Nothing happened i was so fed up i gave it a few hard clicks with the mouse and Bingo! Its working , i told you before i swear there is something not right with my CS4 programn. NEVER buy From E bay as i have 3 Programns and as its along story i wont get into it.
all i know is i cant send it back or go to Adobe because they already said the serial no is not Legitate! AHHH!

Scrappinsass
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
oh my! you poor thing Maggie! Well all I know is that it always works beautifully for me. I'm sorry you've having so much trouble with it! :no::confused1:

SparkysGirl
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Maggie,
I'm sorry this is giving you such a hard time! I apologize if my instructions frustrated you.
I was going to create screen shots for you, and I noticed something. There is a scenario that will cause the text not to paste.
But first let's eliminate a couple of simple causes. You have to make sure that the text size that is set up in your text box in your editing application is not so large that the text won't fit in the box.
Second, you need to make sure that your text color is not the same as the background (unfortunately, I've been burned by this one and felt very silly).
Third, from the time you COPY the text from the source document until you PASTE into your editing application ... you can't click on anything or hit any buttons ... for some reason this causes the data written to the clipboard to be lost.
I hope this helps ... wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck getting it figured out!
Lisa

landofoz
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Sparky, No way did your instructions frustrate me . its this bloomin CS4. I thank you very much and appreciate anything that helps , also Lone who is always willing to Oblige,
Remember we are one big Happy Family LOL
maggiexx

Scrappinsass
01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Maggie.. I've heard you mention a few times now about the greyed out drop down menu and just to rule out mouse malfunction or such.. try this.
1. In CS4, select the text tool and choose a font and text size of about 30... make sure the colour is contrasting to the background. Place the cursor on the layout where you think you want the text.
2. Holding down the Alt key, tap the *tab* key to get to the program that has the source text, select it and use Ctrl+c to copy it - do not use the right click method.
3. Now holding down the Alt key, tap the *tab* key to toggle through the programs to get back to CS4.
4. Now you should be able to see where you left the cursor.. a little black box is there and the cursor should be blinking.
5. Now use Ctrl+V to paste the text into the layout.

Hopefully this method will bypass your mouse strokes and may help get what you need done. I hope I haven't left anything out.. Let me know how you do. :biggrin:

SlidingKat
01-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Sometime that happens with me using CS3. Usually when your memory gets too full there isn't enough room to copy the test.

For example on my old computer if I had a speed scrap forum open in a browser and was reading all the messages and trying to run Bridge and Photoshop at the same time there wouldn't be enough free memory left.

Either download CCleaner at www.ccleaner.com and run it clean out your temporary internet files.

Or close all the programs and restart just the two you need to copy the text.

Most people would do a complete shut down and restart of the computer to clean the ram in use, but with ccleaner you can just shut the program down and run it.

Gets frustrating, when you are in a hurry, but looking at all the scrapbook kits for elements and all the forum posts at the same time as running PS fills up the memory fast.

landofoz
01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Sometime that happens with me using CS3. Usually when your memory gets too full there isn't enough room to copy the test.

For example on my old computer if I had a speed scrap forum open in a browser and was reading all the messages and trying to run Bridge and Photoshop at the same time there wouldn't be enough free memory left.

Either download CCleaner at www.ccleaner.com and run it clean out your temporary internet files.

Or close all the programs and restart just the two you need to copy the text.

Most people would do a complete shut down and restart of the computer to clean the ram in use, but with ccleaner you can just shut the program down and run it.

Gets frustrating, when you are in a hurry, but looking at all the scrapbook kits for elements and all the forum posts at the same time as running PS fills up the memory fast.

thank you so much i do have CCleanerand i think you could be right aboutthe ram as i got a message earliersaying i didnt have enough space on the disk

landofoz
01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you ladies for all the support.
what a wondeful team

southflascrapper
01-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Photoshop is the biggest ram hog that I own! My older desktop pc will lock up if I try to run Bridge at the same time as cs3e. My new laptop has cs4e on it and runs Bridge and PS at the same time with no problem. That is the difference between 1gb and 2gb (pretty sure it's 2gb on my laptop, or 3gb) of ram. I make sure that I purge alot in PS when I'm using my desktop pc. It seems to help a little bit.

elenasworld
01-21-2010, 06:17 AM
when I had CS2, my program would crash all the time while I was entering text.
it just didn't work right.
when I upgraded, I did not install all my fonts, just a handful or so that I like to use often. so far, no crashing when doing my journaling.

and, the same thing happens when I have too many actions or styles loaded. even though you arent using them, they are still pulling resources. I try to only keep my favorites loaded there too.

SlidingKat
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Photoshop is the biggest ram hog that I own! My older desktop pc will lock up if I try to run Bridge at the same time as cs3e. My new laptop has cs4e on it and runs Bridge and PS at the same time with no problem. That is the difference between 1gb and 2gb (pretty sure it's 2gb on my laptop, or 3gb) of ram. I make sure that I purge alot in PS when I'm using my desktop pc. It seems to help a little bit.

Actually Photoshop is a CPU hog not ram. (Although what happens is your processor gets overwhelmed and diverts some of its processes to your RAM which makes you run out of memory).

Slightly different, but the end result of adding more memory (although cheaper) won't help as much as upgrading to a dual or quad processor with more speed.

It drives me nuts using photoshop on my XP laptop with a 1.6 processor and only 1gb of memory. It works...but you have to wait a lot. My desktop that just died had a dual core 3.2 processor and 2gb of ram and ran photoshop fine...or it seemed that way until I built my new one. Now with a quad core 3.4 processor and 4gb of ram Photoshop really flies!

I am however a tad miffed at the way Bridge (for CS3e) and windows 7 interact. On XP Bridge would save the thumbnails to the hard drive and access those each time you went in a different folder. Windows 7 keeps them in memory--which builds up fast (if you have humongous folders like I do). I need to go read up on how to tweak PS for Win 7, but I'm still busy trying to remember how and setup everything like I had it before. (Don't get me started on the adding the keywords again! The keywords are on the photos and files, but I need to re add them to Bridge so that I know what my keywords are to add to new files).

SlidingKat
01-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah...I can't decide what to do about the font thing. I have a ton that I really liked...plus another 4 tons that I rarely used...all sitting in one folder.

I can't decide if I should load them all or just hunt and seek everytime I open a layout and that font isn't loaded.

Plus if I just copy the font folder I backed up (from my old computer) I risk overwriting newer font files that came with Win7.

I am soooo overwhelmed with all these decisions I think I have started sliding down the hill to becoming a basket case....

when I had CS2, my program would crash all the time while I was entering text.
it just didn't work right.
when I upgraded, I did not install all my fonts, just a handful or so that I like to use often. so far, no crashing when doing my journaling.

and, the same thing happens when I have too many actions or styles loaded. even though you arent using them, they are still pulling resources. I try to only keep my favorites loaded there too.

elenasworld
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
well Katie, I feel your pain
I love my fonts and it kills me when I go to use one that I had loaded and it isn't there. there are a handful I use all the time, so I keep them. and, as I see cool new fonts on people's pages, I seek them out and add a few. I have tons of fonts too, sitting in a sad little folder. one day, I will go thru and delete the ones I know I wont use so that I can add some more of my faves.
I love handwritten fonts and for some reason, vintage-y or grungy looking type set fonts.

i haven't even attempted using Bridge.
I spent endless hours adding keywords in Picasa and I love the searching capabilities, but when I got behind it just started piling up, like the laundry that seems to spontaneously generate in the hamper!

landofoz
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Actually Photoshop is a CPU hog not ram. (Although what happens is your processor gets overwhelmed and diverts some of its processes to your RAM which makes you run out of memory).

Slightly different, but the end result of adding more memory (although cheaper) won't help as much as upgrading to a dual or quad processor with more speed.

It drives me nuts using photoshop on my XP laptop with a 1.6 processor and only 1gb of memory. It works...but you have to wait a lot. My desktop that just died had a dual core 3.2 processor and 2gb of ram and ran photoshop fine...or it seemed that way until I built my new one. Now with a quad core 3.4 processor and 4gb of ram Photoshop really flies!

I am however a tad miffed at the way Bridge (for CS3e) and windows 7 interact. On XP Bridge would save the thumbnails to the hard drive and access those each time you went in a different folder. Windows 7 keeps them in memory--which builds up fast (if you have humongous folders like I do). I need to go read up on how to tweak PS for Win 7, but I'm still busy trying to remember how and setup everything like I had it before. (Don't get me started on the adding the keywords again! The keywords are on the photos and files, but I need to re add them to Bridge so that I know what my keywords are to add to new files).

Katie ,how are you going? I went to put some photos on Bridge and the message was no disk space?
What do they mean? and what should i do??

maggie:eek1

SlidingKat
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
What operating system are you using?

What version of Photoshop?

What are the specs of your computer?

Have you downloaded ccleaner and use it every time before you open bridge / photoshop?

Did you try completely re starting your computer and got the same error message?

SlidingKat
01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Try going to my computer and right clicking on your hard drive and tell me how much free space you have left.

Hard drives start deteriorating, performance wise, once they are more than half full.

SlidingKat
01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
In CS3 and CS4 if you choose your text tool and click and drag you can make a text box. After the box appears click inside it to type your text.

In CS3 & 4 there is no text box. Just a text layer.

landofoz
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
hi katie, i have 2 drives and 1 EHD.
C\ Drive used space 124 GB,,,,,,Free space 807 GB
E\Drive used space 155 GB.......Free space 776 GB
and on my EHD i have 815 GB free space

SlidingKat
01-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Wow that is unusual!

Try going to EDIT - PREFERENCES - PERFORMANCE and making sure you have checked and set up scratch disks.

Scratch disks help with low memory problems. It means what the RAM can't hold is written to the harddrive and then pulled up into memory as space is available.

How much RAM do you have on your machine?