PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Hints on how to organize your folders ?

ATWIGO
01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I am just starting to collect all the different kits, artwork, etc... and was wondering what the best way to organize them would be.

Any suggestions? How do you save and organize them?

Right now I am saving everything on a thumbdrive since my computer does go down every so often.

For folders, do you save under designer name? holiday? season? color?

Do you take apart the kit and save under ribbons, alpha, bows, etc...

Maybe I need more items to figure out what I need to do. :wub1:

southflascrapper
01-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi Nancy, welcome to GDS! I am not the most organized person in the world, but I will tell you how I organize my digiscrap stuff.

I don't keep any of it on my computers, because I have 2 and use both of them for my scrapping. So I use my external hard drive (I use a Western Digital 160GB Passport ehd) to store all of my digi stash on and work between my 2 computers without having to find something.

On my ehd I have everything separated into folders. When I say 'everything' I mean that I will have a main folder for GDS PRODUCT, then underneath that I have subfolders by designer name with various embellies and pagekits stored underneath the main designer name. It's pretty easy to sort through the GDS products, the designers use a file naming convention that include their initials at the beginning of the name. I store the monthly collaboration kits under the GDS subfolder COLLAB.

If you choose to 'break apart' the kits, what is liable to happen is that you are going to lose your TOU'S (terms of use agreements) for the products. What that means is that you are going to find an item or use it, and then not know who to credit the design to because you broke apart the kit and the TOU for it was in the main folder you broke apart. It's really important to give credit to whosever designs you are using when you post your layouts to the gallery. This is a very sensitive issue in the digiscrap arena. The designers work hard and deserve the credit for their work. Make sure to keep the TOU'S for your scrap items intact with your product download folders so you don't have to backtrack and look for them. I learned this the hard way when I first started scrapping.

I just wanted to stress that one point so you don't lose your TOU'S. I know that some of the veteran scrappers on this site will be able to give you great storage tips or link you to a GDS forum thread that has already been discussed on this subject.

Most importantly, sit back and enjoy the ride! Digiscrapping is so much fun. I have been scrapping digitally for 3 or 4 years now. I am not a hybrid scrapper, I turned totally digital when I first discovered it. I am on the computer all the time so it just made sense for me to scrap digitally, and I totally love it.

There are also classes offered on this site, which I highly recommend if you need help with your digital scrap program (I use Photoshop, but they have classes for Paint Shop Pro and Illustrator). Alot of times they will have sales which could save you up to 50% off of the class price.

Ok, I know this was long winded, but I just wanted to give you a couple of tips. Again, welcome to GDS, we're glad to have you here!!

Best Regards,
Tracy

donakat
01-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Great suggestions, Tracy! Here's an older thread (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11192) with information on organization. And another one here (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7835). It's a popular topic, so you can search on "organization" and find others. To search the forums, go to "Search" in the green bar right above the thread path, midway down the page. Start doing some kind of organization now, before the stash gets out of hand!

ATWIGO
01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the the help. I am totally clueless on everything. Guess that is what a newbie does/is.

I searched for threads, but came up empty, so the links will definitely help.

Just want to get started and I can't because my computer is getting fixed and I am currently using a netbook to get online. It has been a crazy start to digiscrapping since I initially wanted to start on Tuesday. Nothing has happened yet. LOL

dylabel
01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I started out as a freebie hunter and had tons of stuff in one big folder. I too use the folder method of: store - designer - kit. I also make a contact sheet in PS for the entire kit and then sort those into a color category so that if I need a green something or a white something to finish a page or add that last touch it's simple to browse by color.

I checked before I posted this and I have 3 100 gig hard drives filled with just personal use kits:) I know I have some that I have never even used but I will get to them someday!

britaneejean
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
i only use 1 computer that has everything on it. im saving up for an ehd soon so i can get all my "stuff" off the computer. i organize it all in my pictures. i have a folder for digiscrap and then a subfolder for every kit with the designers name. i also put the kit picture as the folder pic so i can see whats in every folder. for freebies and things like that i have additional subfolders-alphas, wordart, misc emb. stuff like that. it works well for my type of organizing. and it's all alphabetized which i'm soooo ocd about. whatever works for you though! good luck with it. it accumulates fast :)

j_camargo6
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
If you have a program like Photoshop Bridge or ACDSee, I believe you can "tag" items (i.e. pink, ribbon, satin) so anytime you search anyone of those categories it would bring up the item. I've never gotten around to actually DOING it, but I hear it's possible, LOL. That would allow you to keep the kits intact and still find the elements you need.

ATWIGO
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Belinda, I like the idea of a contact sheet. I think that would help alot.

Also, like the idea of the photo picture on the folder to see what that is.

Tagging would be wonderful. Hope I can do that.

You guys are giving me great hints and ideas. Thanks again.

landofoz
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
I have Acdsee for tagging,and its really good, But first thing first ,get every thing sorted and its easier to do at the beginning ,I use the store, designer ,kit. goodluck

southflascrapper
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
LOL Belinda, I am only up to 100GB, and I thought I was the queen of freebie hunting. You are the true QUEEN of digistash if you have 3 100 gig hard drives. I like the idea of contact sheets, I don't even know what I have most of the time. Thanks for the suggestion! It will make it easier for me to find my stuff.

And also, thanks for making me crack up today!! :)

I started out as a freebie hunter and had tons of stuff in one big folder. I too use the folder method of: store - designer - kit. I also make a contact sheet in PS for the entire kit and then sort those into a color category so that if I need a green something or a white something to finish a page or add that last touch it's simple to browse by color.

I checked before I posted this and I have 3 100 gig hard drives filled with just personal use kits:) I know I have some that I have never even used but I will get to them someday!

Scrappinsass
01-15-2010, 02:42 PM
I also do the store designer kit method I have a *general* catagory for the odd freebies from here and there but I also have a duplicate folder system for all the zip files and I have them burned to disk as well as on 2 1T external h/drives. I do this with my pictures too. Just because it's external does not mean it won't crash! Mind you once zip files have been burned and backed up on the externals, I take them off the internal drive. Too many tears have been shed not to heed the warning to *back it up* :biggrin:

CecileQ
01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
i also like to store by store and designer. easier to just search if have already gotten a kit.

this works except when forget a designer is at a couple of stores... have stumbled on a store, saw a kit i liked, bought it, only to find had it already on the ehd!

some of the points in organization
most of the challenges here ask for gds products, so need to be able to find and id them

other times, like in a numbers or speed scrap, may be asked for "stitching," mat, or red bow, so need that breakdown also

hope you will jump in the fun here

ps thought would stop getting goodies when filled up a 40 gb drive. last year got a 500 which is 80% filled, and Santa got me a 1T.

SunBum
01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I am just starting to collect all the different kits, artwork, etc... and was wondering what the best way to organize them would be.

Any suggestions? How do you save and organize them?

Right now I am saving everything on a thumbdrive since my computer does go down every so often.

For folders, do you save under designer name? holiday? season? color?

Do you take apart the kit and save under ribbons, alpha, bows, etc...

Maybe I need more items to figure out what I need to do. :wub1:

For most truly creative people, I think organization is a stumbling block. Being able to "see" what you have actually helps the creative process, not just in digi-scrapping but in all crafts. Here's my own developed method of digi-scrap storage for store purchases, store freebies, and blog freebies:

I make folders for each store or each blog I keep up with and then subfolders, so it looks something like this:

GoDigitalScrapbooking (Main Folder)
Alphas (subfolder)
Desktops (subfolder)
Elements (subfolder)
Frames (subfolder)
Kits (subfolder)
Papers (subfolder)
Photo Masks (subfolder)
Purchases (subfolder containing all the folders you see again)
Overlays (subfolder)
Tools (subfolder - broken into more subfolders, Brushes, Shapes, Styles, Actions, etc.)
Word Art (subfolder)

I have found this system is extensive, but it works well for me. I've collected supplies and purchases since August of 2008, and I'm well over a terabyte. I use one Western Digital 250 gig external drive, and two 500 gig HP pocket drives (which I can't say enough good things about). However, I do agree with someone else who posted here saying that all mechanical things go down eventually, so it's imperative that you still back everything up on media of your choice; disks, smart cards, flash drives, whatever. After all the time spent collecting and caring for files, nobody wants to risk losing any of them!!! It's all happened to us at some point, so take heed and back up everything often.

By the way, I don't break kits apart. They stay in their own folder under my "kits" folder, their folder is titled by the name of the kit, and I have the preview file showing on the folder so I can see what's inside the folder.

Good luck!

j_camargo6
01-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Lots of great ideas and methods here!

agarzaldynrd
01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
How do you get the preview page to be in front of the folder?

I also do store, designer, kit. I've just recently created a Christmas folder and put only kits in it within the GDS folder. I change the name of the alphas that are just alphas and start the name with alpha_designer...this way the alphas are all together.

geniaBeana
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
OK. First of all I'm pretty unorganized. I usually know where my stuff is, and if not I can find it using the search function in windows. I work off of a laptop most of the time. Either in the living room with my family or upstairs at my desk attached to my monitor. I do not use a EHD. I keep a handful of kits to scrap with on this hard drive plus other "designer" supplies made by myself and others. I have them all backed up onto our server, which is currently 8 TB. I have about 400GB on the server. PU and CU combined. I haven't backed my laptop up in quite a while I'm pretty sure that I have another 60-100gb here that I really should move over.

Anyway I use shop/designer/kit and for my supplies it's under both shop/designer or product type/designer/folder

southflascrapper
01-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you for the 'backup' reminder Lone. I am getting a new one for my birthday tomorrow, and probably going to choose the 1TB or the 500GB. I know that I would be really lost if I lost the data on my ehd.
The files that I care about I have archived to dvd or cd. But the digistash collection continues to grow with each and every day that passes :)

I also do the store designer kit method I have a *general* catagory for the odd freebies from here and there but I also have a duplicate folder system for all the zip files and I have them burned to disk as well as on 2 1T external h/drives. I do this with my pictures too. Just because it's external does not mean it won't crash! Mind you once zip files have been burned and backed up on the externals, I take them off the internal drive. Too many tears have been shed not to heed the warning to *back it up* :biggrin:

CGOOD
01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Anna, to get the preview picture on your folder, click on it's thumbnail & go to properties, then click customize. There will be a spot that says chose picture,then you can find the preview pic of the kit and hit apply. The picture should be on the front of the folder as long as you have set your folders as thumbnails.

I hope this made sense. I know this is a silly question but how do you enter a quote from somebody's post to mine, i can't seem to get it right?

agarzaldynrd
01-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Thank you so much. I got up early to work on my folders and I was going to take the preview page out of each of my folders and file it in front of the actual folder. That would have been A LOT of work. Thanks for the response. Now for your question...on all posts there is a "quote" button on the bottom right hand side. Go to the post that you want to quote and click on that button. It automatically opens up the window for your response with the quote enbedded. I just did it with yours. If this does not make sense, let me know.

Anna, to get the preview picture on your folder, click on it's thumbnail & go to properties, then click customize. There will be a spot that says chose picture,then you can find the preview pic of the kit and hit apply. The picture should be on the front of the folder as long as you have set your folders as thumbnails.

I hope this made sense. I know this is a silly question but how do you enter a quote from somebody's post to mine, i can't seem to get it right?

agarzaldynrd
01-17-2010, 05:41 AM
OMG!!!! that was so easy. Off to work I go! Thanks so very much!!!

britnkaysmemaw2
01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
You guys are awesome. I am loving the tips. The preview one worked great. Much easier than the way I was doing it!

Does anyone use tagging withing PSE7? I believe it is possible with it, just haven't tried it.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

donakat
01-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Chris,
Instead of hitting the general "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page, click on the "quote" button within the particular post you want to reply to and it will appear on your posting screen. You can remove parts of it as I did here, just be sure to leave the beginning and ending html codes that are within the straight brackets.

CGOOD
01-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Chris,
Instead of hitting the general "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page, click on the "quote" button within the particular post you want to reply to and it will appear on your posting screen. You can remove parts of it as I did here, just be sure to leave the beginning and ending html codes that are within the straight brackets.

Thanks so much Dona & Anna

agarzaldynrd
01-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I think you are right....we can do this with pse 7. I've never done it but I've seen the option. Maybe I should go try. Let me know if you figure it out.

You guys are awesome. I am loving the tips. The preview one worked great. Much easier than the way I was doing it!

Does anyone use tagging withing PSE7? I believe it is possible with it, just haven't tried it.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

britnkaysmemaw2
01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I think you are right....we can do this with pse 7. I've never done it but I've seen the option. Maybe I should go try. Let me know if you figure it out.

Same for you Anna. I am wondering how much space it would use in PSE? Would it cause the program to slow down? I know I want to do something. I searched forever during the last speed scrap for a round frame, and would love to be able to tag things and find them easily.

agarzaldynrd
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Same for you Anna. I am wondering how much space it would use in PSE? Would it cause the program to slow down? I know I want to do something. I searched forever during the last speed scrap for a round frame, and would love to be able to tag things and find them easily.

I did the same thing. Couldn't find round stitches or doodle frames....it drove me crazy!!! But I bet you are right, it will slow down pse.

Scrappinsass
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure this would work but i'm going to suggest it anyway... I think if you put a tag on your photo/scrapbook stash items, and then do a search with Windows...
start/search/all files and folders/ and then enter the tag in the *A word or phrase in the file* and then scroll down the dialogue box and navigate to where you want it to search.. I would locate all the files in that set of folders/drive that have the tag words in the file. This would then not slow your PSE down as you're not using it to locate a file. You then just drag the file to into PSE.

I can't test it at the moment to see if it works well because I'm backing up my entire system.. and I've got only 20% CPU to use.. which means I can't open ACDSee or PS or Bridge.. as they are memory hogs.. so can't tag anything to test.. but the theory makes sense because I know you can search on date. I'll test it later.

ATWIGO
01-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Chris, mine doesn't have that option to choose from. I made sure they are thumbnails. All I get is general and summary.

Is there something else I need to be doing?

britaneejean
01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Chris, mine doesn't have that option to choose from. I made sure they are thumbnails. All I get is general and summary.

that could depend on what system you use. i do the exact same thing with all my folders and i have windows xp. my sister has vista & she can't do it.

britnkaysmemaw2
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Make sure you are Right Clicking. I just left you a message in the other thread with the instructions. Hope you figure it out.

britnkaysmemaw2
01-19-2010, 04:43 PM
that could depend on what system you use. i do the exact same thing with all my folders and i have windows xp. my sister has vista & she can't do it.

I am using Vista 64 bit and it works great.

SlidingKat
01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Artisian magazine has been doing a monthly article on file organization for more than a few months now. Started in September 2009 and is still going on. I found it really good. Does a lot of things I already do and gave provided some tips I hadn't thought of.

For example creating a folder that holds a copy of all designers TOUs. Makes it really easy to look up the designer TOU when you have elements sorted into different folders, because most designers include their name in the file name.

I won't tell you my son's reaction when my computer died and I backed up the harddrive to his computer and he discovered I have a Scrap_Zip folder that contains all the zip files of kits I've got in the last 18 months and it was over a 100gb.

CGOOD
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Sorry I just saw this now, I have windows xp also so maybe it depends on your
operating system. Are you right clicking on the folder itself? I hope someone else has a solution for you. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

SlidingKat
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
What operating system do you have?