PDA

View Full Version : Layout Info/Credits

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
After reading Dona's thread on how we are to fill out the *keyword* field and the *Products* field on our layout uploads, I'd been painstakingly making lists of everything used in the layouts (paper, elements, fonts, etc) so as to correctly give credit and post it properly.

THEN I discovered Photoshop has a *comments* tool!! I now list what I use directly into the comment field. This does 2 things:

1. gets rid of all the lists I make and
2. records it on the layout so in a years time from now I'll know what I used and where it came from!

I can go back now and see what I've done without having to guess where it came from, and it doesn't get printed either! The comments dialogue box is always on top of the layout so there's no going back and forth from window to window - just have to click on it to open/add something to the list. Easy Peasy!!

I LOVE IT and thought some of you might find it handy too. I'm not sure if the other programs have this tool - sorry :( .
:biggrin::biggrin:

agarzaldynrd
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Where in photoshop did you find it? It does sound like a cool tool. I use photoshop elements....sometimes they have similar features.

britnkaysmemaw2
01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm with Anna--I use PSE 7. If anyone knows if it has this feature I would love to know. That would be an awesome tool for sure.

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure if the other programs have it but this is what it looks like in CS3:

j_camargo6
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
AWESOME tip, Lone! Thanks for sharing it!

donakat
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Super tip, makes things so much easier!

triciacurtis
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the tip!

If anyone is using CS4 and has trouble finding it, it's called Notes. Just go to Window > Notes and it will pop up. It's not in the same toolbar as CS3, but you can move it to wherever you want!

Scrappinsass
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for that Tricia! I was thinking about that at 2am and thinking *I've forgotten to put in what it's really called!* Funny how it happens at 2am!!!

In CS3 it's called the Note tool as well and the keyboard shortcut is the letter *N*. :biggrin::biggrin: I guess I called it a comment tool because in Microsoft Word and Excell it's a comment tool.. sorry if I confused anyone!

HollyS
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Cool tip! Thanks!

Scrappinsass
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
You're very welcome! I'm just happy that I could pass it on although I'm sure a lot of you knew about it before. :biggrin:

techie girl
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Wow what a great tip.I did not know this was available.I have CS3.
One question.Does the information stay with the layout after you close the page or do you have to save it somewhere?
I have been right clicking on the finished page and filling out the properties info tab and that is time consuming.Thanks for a great tip. *woot

Gem
01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I hope, I hope that PS Elements has it! Right now I try to put all the information on a separate layer using the type tool, but it is sometimes a little tricky to get it to fit on the page, etc.

crystals622
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
In PSE go to File and then File Info. If you list all your products there it becomes part of the metadata fo the finished page. It's the closest thing I'm aware of that is similar to what is described here.

Scrappinsass
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
W
One question.Does the information stay with the layout after you close the page or do you have to save it somewhere?

The *note* stays with the layout but does not get printed nor does it transfer over to a web saved .jpg. It just floats there happily saving your notes for when you need them!

elenasworld
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
that is pretty cool
i try to keep an extra layer with my credits and then just hide it
but I am going to have to try this out for myself too

thanks for the tip!

Scrappinsass
01-06-2010, 01:10 AM
I wonder.... if the other programs don't have this feature/tool - maybe elenasworld's idea "i try to keep an extra layer with my credits and then just hide it" would work for them? :biggrin:

tbcarter2002
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for these great tips. I usually write things down in a notebook but this sounds better. It stays with the lo so if you need the info later, you can find it easily.

christellevandyk
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree, this is a great tip! I also type it into the file properties box, because then the info stays with your LO, but this sounds much easier! :D

eb2177
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I wonder.... if the other programs don't have this feature/tool - maybe elenasworld's idea "i try to keep an extra layer with my credits and then just hide it" would work for them? :biggrin:

This is what I do. When I have completed my layout and upload to the gallerys, I just copy what I have typed in the info place. (which I do anyway if I am uploading to multiple galleries) Then go back to my layout PSD and add a layer, paste the info (I usually also add in a plain white layer so that I can see the type), then hide the new layer and resave. Sometimes I do need to add in spaces to break up the long parts of the info and get it to fit on the layout. But, then I don't need to type all the info and find the links again if I upload to another gallery. This works for me, but I always keep my PSDs in addition to my print ready jpegs. If you delete the PSD then you would lose that info.

For a while I was making a second document that was reg letter size with the intention that I would print them out in a binder and then have all the info. I put the file name at the top, a smaller copy of the layout under that. Then all the info on the layout including all designer info and the pictures (file names) that I used. Also the purpose of the layout, if it was created for a special project in mind, or a challenge from a site, or a CT thing, or multiple. I also put which galleries I had uploaded it too. I think that only lasted about 20 layouts or so. Great info to have but way to time consuming and a little to organized for me. :laugh: Before that I used a little notebook and kept track of most of the same info in that.

My current in definally the easiest for me. Forgot to say that I am currently working in PSE5.

Darlene Currie
01-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Great tip and thanks for sharing. I just used to make a text file and keep it with the page in the folder, but I'm going to try this!.

southflascrapper
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I sincerely do find it easiest to use the "notes" annotation in Photoshop. I have always used this area for my layout credits because it was always available in PS when I first began using Version 7 several years ago up to now in CS4e. And it is always visible when you have your layout open.

You can keep it closed and it minds its own business off to the side of your layout or wherever you decide to drag it. It is much easier to keep track of the PS note than a text file or notebook because it is actually attached to your layout. You can change the color and size of the note and font too. I usually use a pink note!

If I have a ton of layouts that I am doing, I may use a .txt file on my desktop for easier access, but it has to be several different lo's that I am working on at the same time before I will start a .txt file up. My second option would be to use a text layer and hide the visibility.

Experiment and see what suits your needs the best!!!

landofoz
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks Lone Great tip, anything i find i will add for people that dont know and it saves them from searching the web.

amyp185
01-30-2010, 11:25 AM
What a great tip. I love it when people share their tips! I typically rename the layer in the layer palette with the product name, and designer name if I use more than one kit. I never new there was a note feature. :)

lat4005
02-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh I am so excited I came across this thread! I was just sitting here wondering what an easier way would be to document the credits/info on my layouts. did the search and this popped up. Thanks for all the great info! Shucks PSE doesn't have the notes tool but at least I can put it in the file propertied as someone suggested. Thanks! :D

Kythe
03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi
'Comments or notes' is found in the properties section of each element.

right click the element> show properties>

and an information square will appear. It has the name of the element who made it, where you keep it and the size.

On PSE6 the 'Note" section is where you can put whatever info you want in and it won't print.

I never thought of putting the store info there. What a clever idea.

agarzaldynrd
03-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I just re-read this and what a great idea. I normally try to use one kit so that I don't have to go back and forth looking for what I used and what the store address is!!! Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm going to go try it now!!

britaneejean
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
On PSE6 the 'Note" section is where you can put whatever info you want in and it won't print.

where's the "note" section? i have PSE7 but am hoping it has it too. i can't find it anywhere though & that would be so nice to have!

britaneejean
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I just re-read this and what a great idea. I normally try to use one kit so that I don't have to go back and forth looking for what I used and what the store address is!!! Thanks for reviving this thread. I'm going to go try it now!!

i totally use 1 kit at a time but it's only because i'm not creative enough to mix them with each other haha! i figure that's why the designers make the kits:laugh:

californiateri
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi
'Comments or notes' is found in the properties section of each element.

right click the element> show properties>

and an information square will appear. It has the name of the element who made it, where you keep it and the size.

I use PSE7 and can't find "properties" anywhere. When I right-click on an open element it doesn't come up with "properties" and I don't see a "Note" selection anywhere either. Where do I look for it?

britnkaysmemaw2
03-30-2010, 12:24 PM
In PSE go to File and then File Info. If you list all your products there it becomes part of the metadata fo the finished page. It's the closest thing I'm aware of that is similar to what is described here.

Try this in PSE 7 girls.

britaneejean
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
i saw that & wondered if that was going to be as close as i could get to the "note" section. thanks for that!

britnkaysmemaw2
03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
It is as close as I could find. I just used it on a CT layout, and it worked OK, I put the fonts I used in the comment section, that was a great help as I never remember what fonts I used when I go to post the lo.

i saw that & wondered if that was going to be as close as i could get to the "note" section. thanks for that!

landofoz
05-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks Tricia , i have Cs4 , Lucky lone has 2 I.T. stepsons to give her plenty of advise!

Also if you want you can D|click on the layer and type in the name of the designer, ribbons things you used in your layout
,im trying to do that when i remember LOL!

Scrappinsass
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Tricia , i have Cs4 , Lucky lone has 2 I.T. stepsons to give her plenty of advise!

Yeah.. just wish they knew something about Photoshop!! LOL They are great with hardward issues though.

britnkaysmemaw2
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
For all you PSE users....

Anything you put into the File Info section;
after you save your PSD & Flattened JPG, you can then bring up the Properties Box and find your info under the Subject box.

I am finding I am using this all the time now. Then you can just copy that info and paste it when adding your layouts to the galleries.

suruha
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
This is an awesome tip! I had made up a page with instructions on this, also. The only difference in mine is that I thought it started with CS5.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff181/suruha/NotesFeatureInfo.jpg

It's a wee bit different, but, perhaps it will help, anyway.

Thank you!

Su