PDA

View Full Version : How to create a quick page from a layout

HollyS
04-15-2007, 07:15 AM
I use Photoshop Elements and here's how I create a PNG from a layout in order to create a quickpage where someone can put their picture behind the quickpage to get their photo(s) to fit just right in the place holders.

I receive jpgs from participants who could reate the PNG so the first thing I do is:

1) Open up the JPG in Photoshop Elements
2) Layer > New Layer from background
3) Take the magic wand tool and click on the photo placeholder area. You should see marching ants around the photo
4) Edit > Cut. You should now see a transparent section from where the section was cut.
5) File > Save As > png > Interlaced: none

And you're done!

quiltdeb
04-15-2007, 07:43 AM
THank you Holly, I will try this today.

Robbi1
04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
That looks pretty simple, may have to give it a try - would it be the same in PSP?

twirlyjoy
04-18-2007, 04:19 AM
That looks pretty simple, may have to give it a try - would it be the same in PSP?

It is a bit different in psp - I have done a tutorial for psp here (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15818#post15818)

Hope it helps :)

Robbi1
04-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much, I will surely give it a try. Thanks Again! Hugs!

scrappinali
04-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Holly:

Thanks so much for the tut. Its looks easy enough, I'll try it on my next quick page.

Cherry47
04-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I will definitely give it a try. I was wondering how to do it.

shopica
08-03-2007, 07:36 PM
thanks so much! i love quickpages & had no idea how to make my own.

relocateddixiegirl
08-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Can this be done with PSP? I have PSP 9.

HollyS
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
yep, there's another sticky in this forum on using PSP but here's the link: http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399

PS, love your avatar!!!

relocateddixiegirl
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
DUH *smacks head* nevermind. I saw it! lol It's been one of them days.:twitcy:

Ina
05-20-2008, 03:46 AM
Thanks Holly for the quick and clear instructions. I have been wondering how to create a QP but haven't come around yet to even trying to find out how to do it. Now I just might try. :) LOL!

Irishgal
05-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Holly,

Thank you so much. I have wanted to do this, but I had no idea it was so easy.

Irishgal
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I am having trouble creating a quick page. When I try to cut after selecting my picture area, it tells me that no pixels are selected. Can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

scrappintwins
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
hummm, all I can think of is make sure the layer you want the shape deleted from is selected in the layers palette.
Hope that helps:wink:

Irishgal
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I do have the shape layer selected. I'm sure I'm doing something incorrect that is really basic. It is my understanding that I should create the layout and then save it as a jpeg file and then try and cut out the picture area. Should I merge the layers before I try to add a new layer and cut out the picture area? I think I have tried it both ways, but I have myself quite confused by now with all my different attempts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

scrappintwins
05-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Ok, if you're just making a quick page then don't merge any layers at first. Cut out the space where the photo will go on all the layers below where you want the picture. Making sure you have each layer selected that you are deleting the space on. Then you need to save it as a png file at full size to let the hole show so people can add their pictures. Then you can save it at 600x600 as a jpg to put in the gallery. You don't have to merge the layers yourself as when you save it the layers will merge themselves. I hope that is half way understandable. I can make things clear as mud sometimes.:twitcy:

Johubb
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow, that sounds so easy! Thank you for sharing this info. Will give it a try.:wink:

Irishgal
05-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok, if you're just making a quick page then don't merge any layers at first. Cut out the space where the photo will go on all the layers below where you want the picture. Making sure you have each layer selected that you are deleting the space on. Then you need to save it as a png file at full size to let the hole show so people can add their pictures. Then you can save it at 600x600 as a jpg to put in the gallery. You don't have to merge the layers yourself as when you save it the layers will merge themselves. I hope that is half way understandable. I can make things clear as mud sometimes.:twitcy:

You are awesome! Those are precisely the instructions I needed. It all works now! I have fiddled with it for hours, but I don't know enough to knowledgeably fiddle. Thank you so much. You really made my day, my weekend. I am so excited to make quick pages now.

Thanks!

scrappintwins
05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
YAY!! So glad I could help. Now I can't wait to see what you make!

HollyS
05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
That's awesome that you all have learned how! Thanks Christy for helping her out...I guess we need to take another look at our tutorials on this topic.

uinthas
06-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I just tried this & it worked...yay! I have PSE but have no idea how to use it, so I appreciate all the little tips I can get! (I really need to take the class on it as soon as I get time!)

mrsduke2u
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
thank you so much for posting this tut! I have been trying to find a tut or figure out how to make a qp and now I have something to try! thanks again!!!

lazyscrapper
08-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks so much for this info, especially Christy's advice, I needed that too. Just did my first QP.

lazyscrapper
08-08-2008, 03:22 AM
I'm asking this question here because it's concerning my new QP. I tried uploading to my brand new 4 shared account. The jpeg was fine but the png file had an "artifact" inside the cut out for the photo. Very jagged looking and only on the edges.(This does not appear in my file in PSE) Now when I orginally cutout the photo to get the transparent background on the layout, I didn't get all the way to the edges so I used the eraser tool on the inside edge. Is that why I have this? Or am I uploading it wrong? I can't just easily go back and re cut it out cause my psd file had another problem, so i will have to redo a bit of the layout if I have to recut out. Help!!

babyofmine
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Erica, don't worry! I have seen a lot of QPs (from designer's websites, etc) that look really cruddy at the download page, but it's just because 4shared isn't the greatest at the PNG previews. :laugh: There is probably nothing wrong with the file! If you are still unsure, you can have someone download it to verify, but I'm sure it's fine. :D

lazyscrapper
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Erica, don't worry! I have seen a lot of QPs (from designer's websites, etc) that look really cruddy at the download page, but it's just because 4shared isn't the greatest at the PNG previews. :laugh: There is probably nothing wrong with the file! If you are still unsure, you can have someone download it to verify, but I'm sure it's fine. :D

Really?! Thanks for the help. I will upload it again and try it. Just really had me worried I was doing something wrong. Thanks again.

myartistry
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
:3:Thanks Holly!!!:wink:

stacyscreations
12-06-2008, 08:13 AM
HI ALL MY NAME IS STACY AND I AM NEW TO THIS I JUSTCREATED A BLOG AND I HAVE NO IDEA ON HOW TO ADD A SCRAP KIT OR QUICK PAGE TO IT ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS HUGS STACY :wink::vb_chirolp_iei:

candi1973
12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
well I'll be darned! Who knew!!?? LOL! I am so glad I am now "in the know"!! Thank you sooooo much!

Scrappinsass
04-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that tip! .. I always wondered how that was done! :balloons:

SunBum
05-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Gosh, THANKS for the great info for Photoshop Elements on how to create a Quick Page. So many of us are truly lost in our software, but we love to scrap. This helpful tip is truly appreciated. Sounds simple enough, so I shall attack this method and if successful....I'll be able to share Quick Pages, too! Yeah!!

kaytee
06-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I have been trying to follow your instructions to make a QP, but am not having very good luck. When I use my magic wand and click on the photo, it does not delete the entire photo. I have to keep going back over all the different colors, etc., to get it to delete the entire space where the photo is. What am I doing wrong?

Scrappinsass
06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I would love to help but I dont' know which program you are using. I don't know anything about Elements, but I've just learned how to cut out the photo with everything under it as well, but that's just in PhotoShop CS3 (probably works for some other versions too, but I don't know) ..

californiateri
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I opened the jpg. and went into Layers and picked "new layer from background". But when I click on the photo with the magic wand the only part that gets "marching ants" is exactly where I click. How do you get it to select the whole photo?

donakat
06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
If you have a frame around your photo, you might try selecting that; hold down the shift key and select other colored areas all around the photo. Once you've defined an area that surrounds the photo, choose "select inverse", and you will have the whole photo selected. Then you can safely use your eraser tool to get rid of just the photo. You might also just use the lasso tool to select the area of the photo, too. The method you use depends a lot on what's around your photo.