PDA

View Full Version : PC Issues

SparkysGirl
12-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Hi All! I'm using my work laptop to get this message to you. I just wanted to let those of you that participated in the speed scrap yesterday know that I wasn't able to get into the gallery to comment on your layouts and I'm so sorry! My home PC died just after downloading the posting bonus for the speed scrap and I'm afraid I may have lost all my layouts and supplies! The PC is heading to the shop today, and I don't know if they will be able to recover what's not backed up so far (which is alot - I've been busy and kept saying "it can wait till tomorrow!").

I may not be back for awhile. I'm so frustrated and sick to my stomach about all the things that I lost on the PC. Layouts, photos, my digiscrap instructions and tutorials ... I've only been digiscrapin for a short time ... so I need all that info! My biggest message to you .... BACK UP YOUR STUFF!

Anyhoo ... it'll work out! I just wanted to let you know why I haven't been able to comment on layouts in the gallery! I will, though, some day!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas ... I'll get back as soon as I am able!

Lisa

michellemomof3
12-23-2009, 04:51 AM
How terrible!:cry: Since it is Christmastime, maybe you'll get your share of Christmas magic & they'll be able to recover everything for you. Good luck & have a very Merry Christmas!!

HollyS
12-23-2009, 05:11 AM
So terribly sorry to hear that! I hope in the end you find you haven't lost stuff! I think alot of us have been where you are and need constant reminders to back up your computer so thank you for that!

j_camargo6
12-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Oh, Lisa! So sorry to hear that. I hope you're able to get everything back!
Hugs!

twirlyjoy
12-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Ughhh! I so feel for you - the same happened to me a couple of years ago - I cried for days till they actually managed to recover just about everything. (i had most backed up but not the most recent photos ) Anyway, don't give up hope - they may be able to recover it. Sending you successful recovery vibes!!!

agarzaldynrd
12-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Oh no Lisa!!! I'm with Michelle, maybe the spirit of Christmas will bring you positive results. See you soon and have a great holiday.

donakat
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Wishing for good luck for you, Lisa, we've all been through something like this. I was lucky for the most part, so hope you are, too!

diamndprincz
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Aww Lisa! I hope they are able to recover your files. Hoping for the very best!

irishgull
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry Lisa! It's nice of you to remind us to back up often. I'm like you, I always think I'll do it tomorrow. I finally decided to download and save my LO on an external hard drive; I never save or download anything on my PC. So, if the computer has a problem, I hope my external hard drive won't be affected.
but it happened to me once that my PC hard drive died and everything could be recovered!
I wish you to recover everything and to have wonderful Christmas holidays with your family and your scraps!
:santaclaus:

southflascrapper
12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Lisa! Merry Christmas to you and your family and I hope that we will have you back again soon.
Big Hugs and warmest regards!

britnkaysmemaw2
12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
So sorry to hear this Lisa. I have been there too, but mine was my EHD where I had everything stored. I have slowly been able to recover mine, and since learned the lesson to back up to DVD too.

Hope the spirit of Christmas is on your side and you are able to get back your files.

Merry Christmas.

SlidingKat
12-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to you, also. My computer died earlier this month and my son's died in September.

Usually...if it is the hard drive that is dying you will have previously noticed abnormal sounds coming from the hard drive (i.e. the read/write head scaping against the platters the data is stored on).

If it wasn't the hard drive that failed you can just pop the hard drive into an external drive enclosure and all your data will be there. Plus you'll have an external drive for future backups.

That is what I did last week and THANK G-D I now have all my photos, scrapbook stuff and data back! Of course I'm still trying to work on the laptop which is much less capable.

(Honestly I'm starting to have suspicions that Adobe is ignoring that Bridge (for versions previous to CS4) is not able to handle the new programing / security upgrades that Windows 7 required (all the upgrades previous versions of windows have had to cope with the changes that Win 7 brought about). Because I've been hearing about an awfully high number of people having their motherboards fail and even though hardware and software is suppose to be two separate issues the coincidence of the bios on MBs failing is rather high).

SparkysGirl
12-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Christmas magic did happen for me! My files were recovered by Geek Squad (my son works at Best Buy, and they were so good to me!). I bought a new hard drive and my hubby installed it. I have a lot of software to install ... but I'm getting things back slowly but surely. I installed Windows 7, so I'm not sure all my software will work. We'll see!

Hope you're all having a Merry Christmas ... my day has been sweet so far!

Blessings,
Lisa

britnkaysmemaw2
12-26-2009, 10:15 AM
So glad your Christmas was wonderful and that you got your scrapbooking files back.

agarzaldynrd
12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
YAAY Lisa!! What a great gift!!

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
OMGOODNESS! I just read this thread.. Poor you, Lisa, for having to go through anguish!! Glad you had a great outcome though.. I bet you now backup backup backup!! LOL.. Been there, got the T-Shirt! and also got 2 1T externals now lol

SparkysGirl
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM
OMGOODNESS! I just read this thread.. Poor you, Lisa, for having to go through anguish!! Glad you had a great outcome though.. I bet you now backup backup backup!! LOL.. Been there, got the T-Shirt! and also got 2 1T externals now lol

Thanks! It's slowly working itself out. I have so many things that I didn't give a thought to, because they have always been there ... like my Pixel Resizer application, all my fonts, my scanner software ... I find something every day! I'm not complaining, though ... I'm happy to have all my stuff ...

... just sorry my hubby discovered just how addicted I am ... I had major withdrawals ...

... and the really, really, really funny part of the story is that a couple of weeks before this happened, I bought him a SUH-WEET laptop for Christmas ... and, I knew it was wrapped and under the tree ... do you know how tempting that was to a digiscrap addict with no computer? ... I should get a extra shiny hallow for being so good!!!!! :wink:

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
All I can say is: - I'll bet you felt the same way as a cat sitting on the outside of a gold fish bowl!!

landofoz
01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
I dont want togo there , I am so glad you got your stuff back.
I had 3 or more crashes one after another, i lost quite a few kits but you dont know untill you go to use them,i know i am missing about 4 collab kits, and i had purchased ACdsee and the tagging all lost, I spent months trying to sort out the mess
I now have windows 7 a new pc with plenty of TB,
updated acdsee too Pro3 and so far everything is great maggie

Scrappinsass
01-09-2010, 02:33 AM
OMGoodness Maggie! You've really been through the wringers!! Glad it's all sorted now and you're back in business!! :biggrin::biggrin: