PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Gifts??

elenasworld
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Does any one have any fun and easy teacher gift ideas?
I have no clue what would be good for a preschool teacher

what have you made or found that you really liked?

SparkysGirl
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Long, long, long ago when my kids were in Pre-K ... we made a gift as a class ... it took a little planning, but it turned out so cute.

We took a sweatshirt in and asked to borrow each child one at a time so the teacher wouldn't see what we were doing ... we painted the bottom of one of their little "feet" and had them step randomly on the sweatshirt (the paint was for fabric) ... we used primary colors, since it was for Pre-K. The sweartshirt ended up with little foot prints all over it.

We then stenciled: "Being a Pre-K teacher is no small feat" on the sweatshirt ... turned out cute!

The next year we did the same thing on one of those "director" chairs that has a canvas seat and back. It was cute, too ... and the teacher LOVED it! The other teachers were envious!

Other ideas: gift certificates to a restaurant, coffee shop, school supply place, etc.

CGOOD
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
As a Preschool Educator, what I enjoy the most is not the gift itself but a card just saying that you reconize a job well done and that staff are appreciated & valued. We still have people refer to us as babysitters, & that hurts because we do so much more.

Depending on you budget, & how many staff you have to buy for, these are a couple of gifts I have received- a manicure certificate or a gift card for a coffee shop.

I hope this helps.

j_camargo6
12-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Those are awesome ideas! I have three teachers to buy for, so I'm looking for good ideas too!

OneMemory
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I made little glass tile necklaces. Not too expensive and my kids helped. I'll take a pic and post if I remember ;) LOL

honu
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, yeah...gift certificates for anything relaxing like mani/pedi, Starbucks, bookstore gift cards...step away from the apple themed stuff ladies.

Things that the parents get together and plan is heartwarming as well. It is also nice to get a card that the child has written or helped write.

Scrappinsass
12-16-2009, 12:58 AM

A BIG roll of Duct Tape? it comes in many colours! hehehe:biggrin::biggrin::wink::wink:

daisydilly
12-16-2009, 05:20 AM
something the teacher could use would be ideal . most teachers have closets full of things kids/parents make and while they may cherish these most teachers don't make a bundle of money and might like a gift certificate to a special restaurant or movie pass. Just think what you might like and that should make it easier. good luck and have fun

agarzaldynrd
12-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Long, long, long ago when my kids were in Pre-K ... we made a gift as a class ... it took a little planning, but it turned out so cute.

We took a sweatshirt in and asked to borrow each child one at a time so the teacher wouldn't see what we were doing ... we painted the bottom of one of their little "feet" and had them step randomly on the sweatshirt (the paint was for fabric) ... we used primary colors, since it was for Pre-K. The sweartshirt ended up with little foot prints all over it.

We then stenciled: "Being a Pre-K teacher is no small feat" on the sweatshirt ... turned out cute!

The next year we did the same thing on one of those "director" chairs that has a canvas seat and back. It was cute, too ... and the teacher LOVED it! The other teachers were envious!

Other ideas: gift certificates to a restaurant, coffee shop, school supply place, etc.

Along the same line....paint the children's hands green and have them place the green print of their hand in a circular pattern. Attach a bow and you have a wreath on the front of a t-shirt or sweatshirt. Also, if you take red material paint with a fine tip, you can write their names on their hands and make it look like red berries on the wreath.

tweederbug
12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Lastyear I bought a whisk for the kitchen .. filled it with Hershey kisses and wrapped in colorful Seran(SP) wrap. Wrapped a pretty ribbon around it and made tags that read:

We "whisk" you a Merry Christmas.

It was a hit with the 2 teachers .. you can always use a whisk in your kitchen and everyone LOVES Hershey kisses. It was also nice because the kids got to make it by putting the kisses in the whisk.

elenasworld
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Everyone!
What wonderful ideas, and all so creative and thoughtful

hollandnancy
12-16-2009, 03:18 PM
As a preschool teacher of many, many years I agree food gifts and gift cards are great. I especially liked gift cards for stores that sell school/craft supplies. Teachers often spend a lot of their own money on materials. If the school provides everything needed the teacher can spend it on scrapbooking materials.

Gem
12-16-2009, 04:42 PM
One year a student's parent brought in home baked bread--Y-u-m-m-y!

irishgull
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
As a Preschool Educator, what I enjoy the most is not the gift itself but a card just saying that you reconize a job well done and that staff are appreciated & valued. We still have people refer to us as babysitters, & that hurts because we do so much more.

Depending on you budget, & how many staff you have to buy for, these are a couple of gifts I have received- a manicure certificate or a gift card for a coffee shop.

I hope this helps.

I totally agree with CGOOD. I'm a Preschool Educator too and the most important for us is that parents recognize a job well done. One amazing card was one we got 2 years ago in which there was the child's photo and, on the second page, a sentence which every single educator used to say at that time. The parents obviously asked the kid "What usually say teacher X?" and then reported what the child said.
Where I work, we usually get two kind of presents, one for Christmas (which we get from single families and it could be just a card) and one at the end of the school term (when the parents put their money together and buy a big present). At the end of the school year, parents usually ask us what would we ask for the school and we decide what is the thing we need most (it could be books for our library, toys, a color printer, ecc.).
You could ask your child if the teacher wears necklaces. Necklaces is one of the gifts I received most, and usually they are gorgeous!

CaliMini33
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Elenasworld, you can always throw together a nice gift basket full of fresh baked goodies. If you want to do something a bit craftier you can get empty glass jars and fill them with dry cookie or drink mixes, which make great gifts! You can then decorate the lids using a pretty holiday fabric and fun colored ribbons. I actually work with Domino Sugar and there are some great recipes for mixes in a jar like Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix or Old Fashioned Oatmeal Mix at http://www.dominosugar.com/giftideas/Mixes-in-a-Jar.html.

Have you figured out what you’re going to make yet?

j_camargo6
12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Elenasworld, you can always throw together a nice gift basket full of fresh baked goodies. If you want to do something a bit craftier you can get empty glass jars and fill them with dry cookie or drink mixes, which make great gifts! You can then decorate the lids using a pretty holiday fabric and fun colored ribbons. I actually work with Domino Sugar and there are some great recipes for mixes in a jar like Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix or Old Fashioned Oatmeal Mix at http://www.dominosugar.com/giftideas/Mixes-in-a-Jar.html.

Have you figured out what you’re going to make yet?

Mmmm, those sound yummy!