PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas to share

HollyS
12-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Hey all! Aside from creating calendars as gifts for others this year, what other ideas have you come up with?

mosser77
12-03-2009, 06:01 AM
I bought large binder clips on sale at Staples and I'm going to use scrapbook paper to cover the black part and add a ribbon. If you stand it up on it's base, you can use it as a photo holder when you stick a pic between the two prong parts. Thought they might make cute stocking stuffers/teacher type gifts.

HollyS
12-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I bought large binder clips on sale at Staples and I'm going to use scrapbook paper to cover the black part and add a ribbon. If you stand it up on it's base, you can use it as a photo holder when you stick a pic between the two prong parts. Thought they might make cute stocking stuffers/teacher type gifts.

What an excellent idea Erin! Thanks for sharing!

agarzaldynrd
12-03-2009, 06:13 AM
I just purchased a book from snapfish....they now make 8 x 8 books and my first book included both layouts and individual pics. I love my book so I was thinking I would take our Thanksgiving pics, makes a few layouts and then order a copy of the book for each of my brothers and sister. You could do the same for teachers if you had pics of classroom activities, field trips, celebrations...... You might not be able to post other students' pics on any website but you wouldn't be posting anything when you create your book.

I'm sure there are other themes for your books.

j_camargo6
12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
What fun ideas!

My parents have everything, and what they don't have they're able to buy for themselves, so I'm making Desktops for their computers for each month of next year, with photos of the people in the family who have birthdays that month on each one. Just have to get it done!

HollyS
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Anna and Jenn, also great ideas! Thanks for sharing...

britnkaysmemaw2
12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I just have a question to all of you crafty types out there. To print out the bookmarks, do you print them on cardstock and laminate? Today's daily download made me think these would be some cute gifts, but not sure how to proceed.

Love the ideas you have given so far, and can't wait to see what everyone else does.

One year, we exchanged names in our family and each person made a stocking for the person whose name they got. My DD did a really cute one for me that year. The old woman in the shoe. She cut a stocking apart and glued it to an old tennis shoe and then decorated it. And, don't you know I cannot find any pics of it.

mosser77
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I just have a question to all of you crafty types out there. To print out the bookmarks, do you print them on cardstock and laminate? Today's daily download made me think these would be some cute gifts, but not sure how to proceed.

I haven't done it, but it sounds like a good plan. :)

SlidingKat
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I usually just print them on heavy matte paper.

Print one side.

Use edit - transform - horizontal to filp the page

turn paper over and print again so the back matches the front.

I haven't ever done the lanimate step, but that would be even better. I have a hard enough time cutting the bookmark straight. I have no idea how you'd cut the laminate straight.

britnkaysmemaw2
12-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks ladies. Going to give them a try today.

Scrappinsass
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I got thermal tumblers from Starbucks when I was in Canada this summer - the kind you can insert you own paper in (the bottom screws off). I'm going to scrap the template with things the people on my list love (I bought 4 of them) with a coupon attached entitling the bearer for up to 4 *refills* on their inserts with the pictures of their choice.

Since Starbucks isn't as visible here in Australia as it is in the States or Canada, I'm sure it will be a hit with the people on my list. :biggrin:

Scrappinsass
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Love the ideas you have given so far, and can't wait to see what everyone else does.

One year, we exchanged names in our family and each person made a stocking for the person whose name they got. My DD did a really cute one for me that year. The old woman in the shoe. She cut a stocking apart and glued it to an old tennis shoe and then decorated it. And, don't you know I cannot find any pics of it.

I did mine on photo paper... turned out great! Can use matte or glossy.. you're choice :biggrin:

HollyS
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Great ideas so far...thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming!

southflascrapper
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I laminate my printed bookmarks (I use heavy photo paper) and trim the edges with a paper trimmer. If I want a curved edge I will use a pair of sharp scissors to round the edges out. On some of them I will use a hole puncher and do either a single hole or 2 holes, to thread through a single or a double ribbon bow. I LOVE BOOKMARKS!!
A note here, I have a thermal laminating machine. I have used laminating sheets in the past to make bookmarks, but have not been happy with the results from the sheets. If you use laminating sheets, make sure to pay attention to the mil thickness (the higher the number the thicker the coating). I would NOT buy a laminating machine just for the sole purpose of making bookmarks though. I also use my thermal laminating machine for landscape sized scrapbooks or reference documents that I want to keep nice. The laminating sheets are about 1/4 inch thicker all the way around than a 8-1/2 by 11 inch sheet of paper so they go all the way around the documents and they do not bend. They also have 4 x 6 inch, 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 inch pouches for photo print sized items.