PDA

View Full Version : Behavior Chart Help

elenasworld
11-16-2009, 06:28 AM
I need some help

I am looking for a behavior chart for my 4y.o. who is having troubling listening and following through with direction

I have seen lots of chore charts, but I really need something that is geared toward behavior.

j_camargo6
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea, Liz!

Andrea
11-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey, I'm working on one with my planner templates addon that's almost done. It has to do with attitude, smiling, talking nice etc. My children have so much trouble with the attitude and being just plain ornery! If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. So far, I've just researched what some of the common items are to have on a chart like this but I added some of my own too.

britnkaysmemaw2
11-16-2009, 08:25 AM
What an awesome idea Liz. If you find one, make sure you post, as my DD could use it for sure with the foster kids.

britnkaysmemaw2
11-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Great Andrea. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Talking back is a big one my DD is dealing with right now, as well as the tattling on others(even though they were most likely in on it, lol).

j_camargo6
11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I, too, am on the edge of my seat Andrea! We're having the same struggles. Can't wait to see it!

elenasworld
11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
that will be an awesome tool Andrea!
i get the talking back, the "NO", the deaf ear, and just general disrespect.
my breaking point has been the contrary behavior at school as well.

I have not been able to come up with a way to emphasize the negative points, but still reflect something positive so she is not thinking she is all naughty, since just about everything is met with "NO" and a struggle.

briarwoodpups
11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a friend who is a counselor and she has some very effective techniques in this area. I lost her number, but if we happen to get back in touch, I'll ask her advice and post back here. She made several charts and other similar things. One was a rainbow that went over the door frame and they put stars on it for different achievements and I think they even used clouds for a limited time when something "bad" was done.

agarzaldynrd
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Whatever you do, especially with a child this age, you can create the chart by picking your biggest battle and focus on one thing at a time until you change the behavior. Reward, reward, reward when the behavior is what you want it to be and be consistent with consequences. Too often parents want many things and that is where they often fail. One thing at a time. OK, that is the principal in me!!! Need more? I've got many!!!:D

CGOOD
11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree with Anna, consistency and following through is very important. Working with
preschool children I often hear parents give conseqences, then they don't follow through.
Some parents think it's easier to give in or just give up.

If possible have your child be involved in making the chart with you, and clearly define what is
expected from him/her. Make sure that your expectations are realistic for their age, and try to
focus on the positive behavior as much as possible. Here is a link to a website that has free
printable behavior charts, it might give you a starting point at least. Since it isn't another scrabooking
site. I hope it's okay to link it here.

I hope this helped a little.
Free Printable Charts-www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com

elenasworld
11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and tips
after my day of "consequences" I feel so much better reading this

mosser77
11-17-2009, 04:54 AM
After last night, I'm brainstorming some behavior modification techniques to get my kid to stay in his bed. Ugh.