PDA

View Full Version : Yaay!! New 'puter and some help please!!

CrayonQueen
04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
For my b-day, my old man said he will get me a new computer cause he's sick of me complaining about how slow this one is and how it is contstantly locking up on me(that and he wants to modify this one for his own purposes, lol)....so here's my question....

what should this new 'puter have?
memory?
ram?
what kind of processor?
anything else?

I have an EHD that I use to store my photographs and scraping supplies, and to scrap I use PSPX, but am starting to learn CS2...I hope that is enough information and thank you in advance for all your help!!!

ckbymommy
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm never any good at that kind of question - I tend go to CompUSA or some place like that and just ask the sales person what are the best ones out right now and specify that I spend most of my time on the computer using graphics programs like photoshop and let them tell me the ups and downs of the ones they have. I know, not the best way, because they are obviously going to upsell as much as they possibly can. But I always know how much I can spend and figure that more graphics capability is better than less!?!

I guess if you want to go in more prepared and don't get a better answer than mine on here, I'll bet there is a forum out there where people discuss this exact thing.

Anyway, congrats and have fun shopping!!

ginabee
04-08-2007, 04:04 PM
What a great Birthday gift! My husband went on E-Bay and bought mine, I have a used IBM, an external hard drive for backups and I have PSE4 and like it. Good Luck!

redring
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
processor? pentium doul cord with hyper threading processor says my dh

here is how it works so you can decide for your self whats important

Ram=speed ( probably 2gig)

processor=speed

Video card= nice look (high end is good here)

memory? = mostly space dont need too much you have the EHD probably 80 gig sata 7200rpm

other than that it depends on if your building or buying. try to avoid VISTA.
Good luck!!

CrayonQueen
04-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.....Redring, I'll def. keep in mind all of the specs that you've given me....I can see that I'm gonna need to do a lot of research on this....I don't even know what a video card is!?!?....lol!!!

redring
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Video card is what gives you your image on your screen. :)

Andrea
04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Pentium processor (no AMD), 2 gig of ram, dvd burner, 256 MB or larger DEDICATED video card (video card has its own memory and doesn't "SHARE" the system ram), big hard drive (at least 100 GIG). That's what I would buy if I was buying an new notebook computer. Does anyone use desktops anymore?

Vista still has a lot of bugs. I wouldn't get a machine with it just yet.

Lank
04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Congrats! I just got my new computer on Thursday (mother board went on old one)
acer aspire
core 2 Duo
1GB ram
320 GB
Intelviiv
windows vista

The speed is amazing and I'm just learning more about vista (pretty to look at but not sure I love it)
I just installed my old psp8 on it and it seems to have some glitches, so I'm thinking of getting a new program.

If your computer was at death's door then any thing will be better!!:wink:

redring
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
LOL lank!!! That is sooo true. Of course I hope you have more luck with vista then me. we are at war!!! I am determind to win though. Microsoft needs to release more updates with all the glitches.

CrayonQueen
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Lank: My current computer isn't at death's door or anything...just slower than molasses....lol.....but it sure will be nice to get the upgrade!! Congrats on your new machine as well!!! :vb_chirolp_iei:

Andrea: That is soo funny that you should ask about the desktops!! My husband offered to get me a laptop...they're just not for me, lol.....I prefer my desktop, call me old fashioned :D

HollyS
04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
FYI, RAM=Memory :) I wouldn't go anything less than 2 gigs of memory for the scrapping you do...!

twirlyjoy
04-10-2007, 04:18 AM
I wouldn't go anything less than 2 gigs of memory for the scrapping you do...!

wow, really?? I have 1 GIG of RAM on mine and never have any problems with scrapping or designing at 12x12.

Rebecca
04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
When you go to look, go towards the gaming computers they will have what you want. Graphics and Memory :)

okblues
04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Congratulations Patty, that's a great BD gift!

Have to agree with what the others have said. I wouldn't buy a new pc with less than 2gb ram and go with the best video card you can afford. You can probably get by with less memory, but I think you'd be happier with 2 gb.