PDA

View Full Version : crayon help

elenasworld
11-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know how to get BRIGHT ORANGE crayon out of a carpet?

Just one of my dd's naughty favors to me today (let's not even talk about kicking over the Lego table at school) was to color on my dining room carpet which orange crayon. The carpet is beige -- it hate it, but for some reason the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to have an inset carpet in the dining room -- and has withstood plenty of spaghetti spills.

big sigh

geniaBeana
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know how it would work on carpet, but the Mr Clean Magic Eraser has been a lifesaver around here. DD decided it would be fun to take a pen and scribble on our leather sofa a couple weeks ago and it practically wiped right off with the Magic Eraser.

britnkaysmemaw2
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow Liz-sounds like you have quite the day. I have used GooGone before to remove spots from carpets and furniture. Don't know how big an area you have to deal with though.

Good luck, and hope she doesn't give you too much grief the rest of the day.

Andrea
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I got candle wax out of my carpet once by putting a brown paper bag (the big ones you get at the grocery store) over the spill and running a warm iron on top of the bag so the wax heated up and soaked into the paper bag as it heated up. So, the iron never touched the carpet...only the bag. Crayons are wax so it may be worth a try. I'm sure you would want to test it in a small area first. It worked like a charm but I used about 4 paper bags too. We just put pergo through out our entire main level of our house. I was so tired of the carpet. My kids turned a red and blue birthday cake upside down on the carpet in my dining room and it was the final straw! Good luck and I hope you get your stain out. :)

donakat
11-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, as Andrea said, the ironing may work. I'm not sure how much dye is in the crayons, though, so do test it. When I was batiking fabric, I'd send it to the dry cleaner to get out all the wax, so perhaps something like Carbon Tetrachloride (in a can) might do the melting. Must be careful using that, though, because of the fumes and flammability.

elenasworld
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
I would have never thought of the warm iron (even though I have used that method for fabric) and I am going to get a magic eraser as a back up -- also have tons of goo gone (had to get double stick permanent tape off my picture window last year :)

Gem
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Here is an answer found on the internet...
http://www.mamapedia.com/article/crayon-in-car-upholstery

Scrappinsass
11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
if all that doesn't work and you have house insurance.. it may cover replacement - neighbour of mine's child spilled nail polish on hers and insurance replaced it. Also.. WD40 works great at getting adhesive tape residue off anything.

mosser77
11-13-2009, 04:51 AM
I always keep Magic Erasers in stock! They are awesome. I even used it to get up a stain on the carpet a couple of weeks ago. The only thing it hasn't worked on is getting sharpie marker out of a booster seat. Grrr...not sure where that kid's mother was when he had a hold of a Sharpie.:head_hurts_kr::hairpull:

elenasworld
11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
i think i have about 90% of the crayon out
i ironed the wax with the paper bag for about half an hour
until i got no more orange or waxy residue

then i picked up some magic erasers and started on the rest
i got worried 'cause the eraser was basically disintegrating, but i kept folding it over.
i have never used it before
now i am just waiting for the rug to dry before i vacuum and sew what it looks like

the dh is going to work on it next
thanks everyone

i used the other magic eraser on all the magnet scratches on my front door, and it looks like a new door! what a bonus
i think i need to get the 4 pack next time!