PDA

View Full Version : HP/Compaq rant!!

redring
04-07-2007, 07:14 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!! I sat on the phone today bound and dertermind to get things taken care of with my still buggy lap top. I called once already after discovering my fave tool of all in photoshop was unuseable. The selection tool!!!:eek1 There answer an compatability issue. Ok so this software problem is hindering me. And strangely is seems to happen when my pc fan starts up and shuts off. What dose photoshop software have to do with my fan? Well I called to make this point. I got an forn tec guy who either could understand me as well as I could him or he dident care to. I ended up screaming at the guy on the phone:no: He kept insisting it was a software problem anfd my fault for puting PS on my laptop!!! I told him im haveing the same problems with vista, that selecting things is really behaveing odd. Either i have to click 8 times or ill click once and it acts like I clicked 8 times. The guy heard VISTA and says "oh, its shut down on you?". :confused1: :confused1: :head_hurts_kr: eh? no. can i talk to a manager? no he says there is only one here monday through firday. :sad44: then he told me agen its my fault for putting ps on my pc!!!!!! DH says he wants to call back monday to talk to an manager. He said we may just have to tell them to take it back. So of course I found a fix for the compatability problem that vista seems to have with PS. Did the tech guy tell me about it? No. I found it on vistas site. im gonna let DH load it cause it has specifics. Then we will see if its an software thing. Either way i would expect more help than what I got.

Andrea
04-07-2007, 10:38 PM
If you are freezing up when your fan goes on, your computer might be getting too hot. PS severly taxes your cpu and makes it hot because your computer is working harder and using more resources when you run photoshop. When this happens, your fan turns on and tries to cool it down. I have an HP L2000 and the fan is constantly running at full capacity when I'm designing. My husband is a network engineer, so he takes really good care of my fan and cleans it often. My old laptop was a Dell and we replaced the fan numerous times to keep the computer running good. Don't let them tell you it is a software problem. Tell them your fan isn't working right! If your fan doesn't do its job, your computer will freeze up.

Rebecca
04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
If it is what Andrea was saying get something called a chill pad. It is a set of fans that the laptop sits on top off and it just cools the bottom of it. I had a problem with overheating it and it would just shut off, not anymore though. They run about 15-30 dollars.

franbvm
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I've been using computers for over 25 years now starting with a commodore 64! After all these years my first rule of thumb is never call tech help!!!They are ALL dumb and dumber! The best way is to find on your own. If you are having too many problems just return it!!
I purchased an HP desktop last Aug and have had all my questions answered at there online site. I also get automatic updates for computer. Try there web site!
I think you may have some extra problems until Vista is updated. Good luck and remember NEVER CALL TECH HELP!!!!!!!

redring
04-08-2007, 05:38 PM
LOL!!^^^^

Not too sure its actually overheating. But I can agree the fan is running so much because PS is so darned taxing. I orderd PSCS2 though I am a bit weary of it only costing $30 on ebay. DH said it was worth a try though. If it is compatability then problem should be solved. I have an update that makes CS2 compatable. Or so says HP. if that dosent solve it I may be pc less for a bit while I get my money back and buy a better lap top.
As for HP searching, there site has no info on what is wrong. neither dose vista. besides saying PS 8 has a chane of makeing your pc unstable. (befor the fix, suposedly its solved now) I am however still not sure how an system instability coincides with my fan. I really do think its my fan causeing the glitch.

Rebecca
04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Ugh I got to thinking about HP tech support and my printer. Out sourcing their tech support was the worst thing they ever could have done. I feel like an idiot everytime I call. I can never understand what is being said and when I do it is being read right from a book. Once upon a time ago it was great though. Is it still under warrenty or store returnable?

redring
04-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Dunno actually. it came with nothing. literally. Oh sorry, I dident get a copy of my system (vista), i dident get a manual, i dident get anything but a notepad. I asked about it on the first call. they said its cause you dont need that stuff. my warenty I think is on the pc somewhear.

franbvm
04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I've had computers like Gateway that send all the manuals and disks with computers they sell. These computers are way over priced! I never used any of the books or disks sent and they sat on a shelf taking up room and catching dust!I also prefer to buy down loadable software over the boxed version for same reason.
I do like the HP site for information about my computer. I don't use it much now but when my computer was new it helped me fix the bugs!

Andrea
04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
The Photoshop uprade will probably help. I didn't realized that you were using an older version.

My husband keeps trying to get me to buy a chill pad, but I keep putting it off and complaining when my fan goes out!

The outsourcing thing stinks. My husband's old company outsourced their help desk to a foreign country. He got so frustrated when they paged him and he called in and couldn't understand the English of the help desk tech enough to figure out what was down on their network (5 miles away from our house!) He got so he would just keep hanging up when he called in until he got someone domestic! :no:

redring
04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
:) thats nuts!!!! I am not sure whats wrong with these companys. Someone should sue and demand a company provide understandable service. unfortunantly sueing is the only thing anymore that gets companys to do anything. :(

Yup I was just useing CS. Its too expensive to upgrade. lucky i found it cheap. I just hope its ligit. I just cant afford and thousand dolors on a hobby. and now CS3 will be out soon. Ill probably get that about time CS4 is comming out lol!!!

bdjeepers
04-11-2007, 12:27 PM
3rd party software manufacturers like Adobe have been very slow to update their software to make it run with Vista. In fact, many non-MS programs won't run at all with it if they haven't upgraded. That's why I'm waiting for a while to get Vista. Adobe and MS don't agree on where things you've done in PS are kept in your computer, either, and MS is getting tough with Adobe over the issue. PS makes registry changes that users are unaware of, which does hinky things to your PC's performance - your fan problem is probably one of those. I'd forget asking the manufacturer or store, and go directly to Microsoft for the answer, too.

I want Vista though, because MS finally did it right when they removed the graphics sub-routine from the kernal, making it a graphic artist's dream, I've been told. My son is a MS certified software engineer, so he understands these things, which have to be translated into sensible language for me.

My DH just bought a new HP desktop in January and has been caught in the "can't get my free Vista upgrade" dilemna ever since, which HP, Toshiba, and Dell buyers have been experiencing. He had to get to an HP headquarters VP to get a solution, and hopefully that's been taken care of! We'll see if it arrives.

Good luck - I hope your problem gets solved soon! If not, complain to Adobe......

ADesignGallery
04-15-2007, 09:04 AM
The outsourcing thing stinks. He got so he would just keep hanging up when he called in until he got someone domestic! :no:

Me too! I don't want to sit on the tech support line for an hour while someone who tells me their name is "Mary" or "Mike" can't understand 90% of what I'm saying.

Oursourcing tech support is just plain WRONG... I think the only way to resolve it is to stop buying products from mfgrs. who outsource. Then again... there wouldn't be anything we could buy, would there? :no:

~Nita

hvandiver
04-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Although I'm sad to see you're having such problems with your new computer and Photoshop, I am very happy to see that I'm not the only one having problems with Adobe and a new computer. I just bought a new computer 2 weeks ago, and had a Really hard time finding a computer NOT running Vista, so I could keep on using my old Photoshop 7.0 that a wonderful friend gave me. I use this program daily, and cannot now afford to buy an upgrade to it, but needed a new computer (darned digi scrapping--btw that and all my photos, I had almost filled my 120 GB harddrive, and the computer had other problems, inc not letting me burn any cds, or externally save files to anything)

I hope you can figure out a fix soon for your computer problems, and now I understand a possible reason why Adobe has not made a "patch" to make it compatible with MS's vista. I think it's pretty aggravating that all customers that want to make sure that their favorite graphics software is compatible with their new computers--have to pay for an expensive upgrade:head_hurts_kr:

Heathermarie

bdjeepers
04-16-2007, 03:42 AM
The Reason for the PS Software Update (non-) Release Season? Maybe!

Microsoft has a new program that is now in beta that is going to compete with PS and CS. It's called Expression Studio. It's a vector based graphics program like PS. They're also going head to head with Adobe with a program called Silverlight to compete with Flash. If Adobe doesn't do things the Microsoft way, PS is never going to run. The MS product is structured to be fully compatible with all MS Office programs. They have also announced that they will be giving us a new picture format, which they say will be sharper and clearer than jpegs, but have a smaller file size.

Sigh. I guess we have to keep up with the times. Now we know more about the "Rest of the Story". I just wonder how deeply Expression Studio will dip into our purses.

In the meantime, Happy Patch Tuesday to all of us!

redring
04-17-2007, 08:37 AM
:( ack! what is wrong with companys anymore! Dose it not matter what they are doing to the customer???? I cant afford to buy all the software I have collected over the years agen. Adobe dosent work right, my nero dosent work and I am afraid of trying any of my other programs. These things cost $80 and up! Yes vista is pretty but I have not seen anything yet that makes it any better than xp. In fact it takes up half my hard drive. I am verry glad I got an external. I just dont think any of this was handeld well. MS dosent want to fix the system to handel the outside programs and the companys of these programs seem to figure it better to charge you another fortune to upgrade. hvandiver, it dosent matter if you upgrade Adobe. All the adobe are haveing issues as far as I can tell. I am useing cs3 now and it is beta but it is haveing the exact same issue as cs was. dont wast your money upgradeing untill things clear up.

hvandiver
04-17-2007, 11:02 PM
redring, thanks for the headsup about the CS3 still not working well with Vista. A friend of mine is a computer programmer, and has tried to help me with starting anew with a new computer. He doesn't know anything about PS, but he said LOTS of programs are having problems with Vista. He bought his newest computer a few months ago, avoiding the Vista troubles. He advised I do the same, so I shopped around to find a computer running MS XP that had a large enough hard drive for me. Sorry you're stuck with a system that is not running properly~~

BTW, after I saw that you're running the beta version of CS3, I downloaded that also, and will test it out to see if it actually is better for my needs than the 7.0 I'm using now.

I do hope the op is having better luck lately with her computer.

Heathermarie

Oh, bdjeepers-- my dh and I are Both excited about the MS Expression Studio. I hope it not only has the functionality of the PS I'm using, but I truly hope it's not as expensive as Adobe products.

bdjeepers
04-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Heathermarie, you can download the beta of Expression Design at: http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/expression-web/free-trial.mspx

You have to install their .NET Framework first, then install the program. If you want a 6 month trial, be sure to get the product key.

This is NOT your old Picture IT or Digital Image Suite! It is a big girl graphics program! I played with it for a couple of hours (there are tutes at the MS discussions board) and found it to be a lot like PS, but not being a PS user, I have a LOT to learn, LOL! I haven't found any information about filters or actions, so I also have some research to do to see if 3rd party apps can work on it. :confused1:

Expression Design is only available as part of Expression Studio, which costs $599, as opposed to CS3 at the (gag) full price of $1799 unless you're upgrading, which is also $599. Killer apps, killer prices, hmmm? :eek1

The good news here is that Expression Design runs nicely on XP as well as Vista, at least so far.

bdjeepers
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I installed my favorite plugins in Expression Design's plugin folder. I might as well have sent them to the Carribean for a vacation, 'cause they aren't showing up in ED's Effects menu. I have Digital Image Suite 2006, and have been told it plays very well in Vista, so I'm covered there. If my PSE won't work with the new OS, I still have something that works. ED seems to be more for web designers than scrapbookers, so I'm not sure that I want it at all. I think at least until Adobe fixes their products to run on Vista that Digital Image Suite is the best alternative. It comes in 2 versions, so check it out, because it is VERY reasonably priced (a $49.95 version and a $99.95 version) compared to either Adobe products or Expression. I always recommend it to newbies because its just so darned easy to use. With a nice set of filters, I can do just about anything with it I can do with PSE.

bdjeepers
04-20-2007, 07:16 AM
I've been asking Son No. 1 about the Expression Suite. He's currently working with MS on a huge project for his employer. He says we can forget about Expression Design for our purposes, because it is strictly for developers and programmers. He also said that the software designers consider that the concept of printed material is dead. Hmmm. I wonder what they'll decorate the walls of their cubicles with. Old hard drives?

Soooo, I'm going to hang in there with XP, especially since MS and Adobe are having a software war right now. :hairpull:

Barbara - aka bdjeepers

redring
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Well I see MS needs a hundred or so letters from us Digi scrapers outlineing why we think printed materials are NOT outdated. Plenty of people still do printed materials. i really wish I could have stuck with xp but DH wanted me to have the laptop. I would just put xp on it but HP wont give me the disks for vista. so I would have paid for the stupid program with no way to reinstall when they get it all worked out. I am really at a loss as to what HP is talking about with all this stupid #1 customer suport stuff. Every time I call I get some reason why they can not help me. :(

bdjeepers
04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with you about writing to MS about print media! I will never give up printed pictures just as I will never give up printed books. I don't think there's anything more precious we can leave to our families than our scrapbooks, and I believe they'll treasure what we have done for them.

I did check Adobe's progress with upgrades. They haven't put out a patch for PS or CS yet (they say they're working on it) that's Vista ready, but they do have one for those who have PSE 5. You can download it at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3569

Both of my graphics programs will now be covered if and when I switch to Vista, so I could do it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you that don't have your patches out yet. Surely it won't be much longer. Hang in there, because what we're all doing is important and a wonderful legacy. :goodluck:

I do believe I will send an email to Microsofties today.....anyone care to join me? I know their developers have blog sites, so it shouldn't be too hard to
clue them in about how we feel. :blahblah:

Barbara