PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love Scrapbooking?

yin
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I was just reading an old issue of CK (aug 2003) and they had ran a contest for an essay on "why i love scrapbooking" and I found the winners' words so inspiring. They put beautifully into words what I feel!! Just had to share some:

Jolie Staten: Scrapbooking gives me the opportunity to savor the memory as I record it forever on paper. So often, we moms rush through life with the kids, the husband and the dog and never slow down long enough to really savor the moments that make up our lives. Scrapbooking allows me to touch again those moments that meant the world to me at the time I scrapped the pictures.

Kelly Davies: I crop to find me, to hear my heart beat at that moment, to listen to that voice deep within, to recognise how alive I was during that time .... I crop to know me. ... I crop to feed my soul, water my spirit, and grow into myself.

Marie Martin: I would like my family to know me as more than just the lady who cleans up the house, changes diapers, keeps track of things for them, and fixes many, many meals a day. I want them to know my thoughts and feelings as well as my loves and my talents. My scrapbook is a little piece of me, a little glimpse at what makes me tick.

Sharon Whitehead: I love scrapbooking because it makes me realize life is too short to live angry or feeling guilty or wishing you had more. It has made me appreciate the here and now and pay attention to the little things, like a loving glance, a wistful sigh, a sunny day, and snowfall blanketing a city in a sheet of white.

Did you love all that? Who spoke your love for scrapbooking best? Why do you love scrapbooking?

redring
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
you know I just love takeing photos! i have some real good ones. when I get the chane for an good photo op I get all giddy. i was in an wedding last year and the bride had to get me to quit clicking to get down the ile lol!! I still hold I have the best bride photo ever!! Now with all these pics (good photo op or not) What do i do with them???? Digital scrapbooking became the greatest thing to feed my addictions. I was already addicted to Photoshop. I am in love with photomanipulation. And i have albulms of photos slaped on pages. I just love the creative FREEDOM I found with digital scraping.

I also hold this fantisy of my kids being able to know me and who I really was no matter what hapens my stories can be told. If forbid the thought, Somthing were to happen to me my choldren would still have a chance to know me. If not my kids then my grandchildren will some day get the chance to say "Grandma was a nut!".

bay_girl
04-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Before I tried scrapbooking I had played around with many crafts. I could never find one that held my attention long enough. I got bored stiff with a project before it was completed. When I started scrapbooking I came to the realization that each layout was a new project. So it kept my interest.
The past few years I have lost many people close to me, many friends and many family members.
I currently have a family member who is in trouble with drugs and drinking. I dont want the world to remember him as the troublemaker and drug addict. I want them to know how his life was as much as what it will be and the steps he is/will be taking to get himself back on track.
My pictures are my world (next to my family of course). If something god forbid happened to my husband or my kids what would I have left? Memories that fade a bit each day. With my pictures I'll always have those memories fresh in my mind. The scrapbook is just a little bit of me.

Debra
04-15-2007, 04:36 AM
No mess!! Capturing memories with details that I can't get from just looking at old photos! Oh, and all the beautiful little embellishments and the great creative outlet!

Lainey
04-15-2007, 05:26 AM
My sentiments are similar to Bay Girl's -- I have experienced many losses: my daughter and my grandmother in one year then my mother, my mother-in-law, and my best friend in another year. These losses were not contiguous, thank goodness. But one aspect of scrapbooking I use it as emotional therapy.

Another aspect is that I have tons of old photos that I want to identify for future generations. I am our family's historian. I have been working on our genealogy for the past twelve years. I am using scrapbooking as a means of visually presenting family information. I am fortunate to have photos that go back to the 1800's. For others I use photos of something that they once owned or a headstone if I visited their grave site or a photo of a flower, etc. It is my plan to glue a pocket on the back of the page and include vital documents and pedigree charts.

Of course, I also LOVE scrapping photos of our family, especially the grand children.

steph
04-15-2007, 07:02 AM
I also use scrapping as therapy... I suffer from severe depression, among other things, and it allows me to see that there is some good things in my life, even when I don't always feel that way.

Stephanie

ADesignGallery
04-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Digiscrapping was an extension of greeting card design for me. Several years ago wayyyy back when Adobe Elements 2 was released, I bought a scanner that included Elements 2. I started creating one-of-a-kind photo greeting cards for my friends & family. Three years ago I saw a scrapbooking mag & was surprised & excited to see that the "new" scrapping was very artistic. Unfortunatley, it is also very expensive with no room for mistakes (glue is not very forgiving.:frown:

I've been unable to work for 9 yrs. due to serious chronic health issues, but I REALLY wanted to try scrapping, & one day while playing with Elements 2, I said aloud, "Hey, I can create scrapbook pages with Elements!" And so I did... I knew NOTHING about creating elements as PNGs in a separate file for later, but that wasn't a problem then because every time I did something it was unique.

Now that I think about it, I've always started with the design elements first, then when my LO is complete I search for photos to use. I love digiscrapping because I can spend an hour creating, then delete most of it & haven't wasted a cent! ~Nita

quiltdeb
04-15-2007, 07:59 AM
About 10 years ago, I had attempted to start dabbling in paper scrapbooking. I bought several pair of scissors, rulers, punches and a paper cutter. A friend gave me some supplies and paper for my birthday. I just didn't know where to get started. After seeing the expense and storage I would need for this craft, I put my efforts on hold. I was so excited when I discovered digital scrapbooking last fall. For what it would cost to purchase material to create a regular page of paper SB, I can d/l a biggy pak and mix and match elements with hundreds of LO's. I also have no mess at the end of the day, everything is on my hard drive. I have also found the digital scrapbooking community very friendly and helpful.

ckbymommy
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I love scrapbooking for the preservation of memories. I can barely remember a week ago, let alone things my kids did as babies without looking at pictures. And when you look at the pictures alone, without any type of journalling or at least a title and date, you may remember a bit, but details. And what about generations to come - how will they know anything about their family without someone taking the time to preserve that information.

My tag line is .....

Everyday is a memory in the making, how will you preserve yours?

'nuff said!

Maisie
04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I love scrapbooking because:
When I look through all my old photos, a rush of memories envelope me. It's pleasant to relive those times. Remembering when my kids were babies, which doesn't seem so long ago, but, then sometimes, a lifetime ago. Scrapping those moments are very precious to me.