PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop Cs3 and Cs4 users - need advice

californiateri
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
My wonderful hubby is going to buy me PhotoShop for my birthday this friday and I want to know which version would be best - Cs3 or Cs4? Is there really that much difference between them? We can get the full version of Cs3 for under $150 whereas the Cs4 is around $600. So is Cs4 that much better than Cs3 to warrant the extra money? I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

elenasworld
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I used CS2 for years, and then I got a new laptop and upgraded to CS4 -- I have never used CS3, so I dont know the differences. I do know that with my CS4, I dont crash the way I used to, but I also keep only a few fonts, actions, and styles loaded. It took me some time to get used to the way I had to drag new items to my pages, but once I got that settled, I love my CS4.
I like that I can install fonts (styles, actions, gradients) easily, without having to copy and drag them to the photoshop folders. that is so much better than in CS2 for me.

triciacurtis
10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I do like all the upgrades that CS4 has over CS3, and keep in mind they don't always update the previous versions, but always have updates for the most current version for any errors, software glitches etc. Plus when CS5 comes out it will cost less for you to upgrade from CS4 than from CS2 or an earlier version. You can always do a free trial of CS4 from the Adobe website for 30 days if you want to check it out.

dylabel
10-21-2009, 04:05 AM
I would definitely recommend trying the free downloads - it's a great way to try out the programs before spending all that money on them. I use CS3 and enoy it thoroughly but I have no idea how to do lots of things - practice time!

SlidingKat
10-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I use CS3e. Haven't tried CS4. My plan is to upgrade every other version. Adobe allows the upgrade price on the previous two versions. Normally they release a new version every 18 months.

The content aware scaling on CS4 looks interesting. From what I've heard the majority of the change were in the 3d area.

Bottom line I would base the choice on your computer hardware.

CS4 is memory hungry. Meaning if you are running an operating system that only recognizes 2mb of ram (Windows XP or older) it will be more sluggish.

In addition CS4 is GPU based. That means performance depends on the quality of your graphic card and how much memory the video card has. Where as CS3 is CPU based and will run fine on a laptop that does not have a video card.

When you get PS I definitely advise joing NAPP. Unbelievable amount of help from the forum and numerous free tutorials. Well worth the price.

Scrappinsass
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I have both and maybe I just don't like change but I prefer CS3e over CS4 at the moment.. simply because of the user interface .. ie the way it handles the windows open in it. I'm sure it has many fine extras that CS3e doesn't have but for now, I'm tending towards staying with CS3.