PDA

View Full Version : removing a name stamp from photo

babyofmine
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
My friend Becca had "professional" photos done by a friend. Becca was told that she (my friend, not the photographer) would own the copyright for the photos, and that she was just paying for the photographer's time. When she saw the proofs, she was assured that the photographer's name wouldn't be so prominent on the photos when they were printed. well, the finished product was NOT as promised, and the name is right across her little girl's arm in the photo. Now Becca wants to order more prints from a different source, but the "proof" is the only digital product that the photographer is providing (she says she doesn't keep the originals, just the final product). It's a JPEG image, not a raw or psd file. I offered to remove the name, but I think I'm way over my head.

Can anyone offer tips on how to do this? I use PSE-5.

I've attached a sample of what I'm trying to remove (I blacked out the name, I don't want to besmirch her name). Thanks!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/bom_jp/blog/fall09069-sample.jpg

geniaBeana
10-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Try the clone stamp.

tweederbug
10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I have CS2 and I would just remove it with the clone tool ... I am not sure if your program has it but it would only take a minute. If you can't figure it out,I would be glad to do it for you.

babyofmine
10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I've tried the clone stamp, and because of the skin's color variation, it keeps coming up blotchy. tweeder, I'll PM you. Thank you! :D

donakat
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Julie do you have Photoshop or Elements? In addition to the clone tool, Photoshop has the Healing Brush. Thats what is needed to maintain the color tonality and texture.

sparkles
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
not sure what PSE 5 has in it but I would use the Patch tool which is best for big areas like that

triciacurtis
10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree - a combination of clone, spot-healing brush and the patch tool.

adriablack
10-21-2009, 05:38 AM
I really hate to be a drag on this, but unless your friend has a written transfer of copyright from the photographer very few places can legally actually reprint it. For example, Walmart will not print if it looks professionally done - even if the name isn't there. And again without your friend "owning" the copyright on the photos on paper, removing the name can actually get her in trouble...

Nonetheless, I'd go with the above mentioned methods of clone and healing brush.

crystals622
10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Use the spot healing tool for sure. You'll probably get the best results that way. If your friend doesn't have a written copyright waiver then she needs to demand one.

babyofmine
10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Use the spot healing tool for sure. You'll probably get the best results that way. If your friend doesn't have a written copyright waiver then she needs to demand one.
Thanks, Becca didn't think of that (waiver), and neither did I. She was trying to help her friend start up her photography business, but she just wasn't happy with the results. or most of the process! lol
I'll give it another go with the spot heal, and let you know how it goes. but not right now, it's time for bed now! :D