PDA

View Full Version : Need recipe help ....

tweederbug
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
OK .. so we need to do a forum just on recipes but I am at my whits end trying to find EASY(I am not a good cook) fall recipes. I am having an open house for the new house this Saturday and I want to do a fall theme. Easy recipes that doesn't require alot of time on my hands,it will take away from me scrapping LOL!! Any help will be appreciated.

j_camargo6
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Fall says soup to me, and crockpots!

I'm trying a chicken stew in the crockpot today.....

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cans fat free chicken broth
3 potatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup thinkly sliced celery
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 6 oz can tomato paste

Combine in crock pot and cook on high 4 hours, or low 8 hours (I do high for a couple of hours and then low for 4...get things up to a safe temp quickly)

1/2 an hour before serving, stir 1/4 cup cold water and 3 Tablespoons cornstarch together. Add to stew and let simmer for 30 minutes.

It smells delish...can't wait for dinner tonight :-)

Another one is spiced cider done in the crockpot, so it stays nice and warm while your guests are there.

Oh, and my mom used to make these pumpkin cookies with butterscotch chips and walnuts and a cream cheese frosting...yum.

I could go on, and on, but I should let someone else get a word in edgewise, LOL.

SparkysGirl
09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
My husband and children LOVE this dip. You can adjust the heat to suit:

Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Two 10-ounce cans chunk chicken, drained
Two 8-ounce packages cold cream cheese, cubed
1 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
cup pepper sauce (best is Frank's Hot Sauce)
1 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and continue to heat and stir until the cream cheese is incorporated. Add the ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of shredded cheese. Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top, cover and cook on low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks, crackers, and/or Tostito's (the cup-like Tostitos is our fav way to eat the dip cuz you can scoop lots into it).

Now the slow cooker referenced in the recipe is one of the small slow cookers (a mini one). If you don't have one of these (they are about $10 at Walgreens or Walmart), you can simply leave the dip in a sauce pan on low. The main thing is to keep it warm so the cheese stays melted. Oh ... and I use the full 3/4 cup of Frank's Hot Sauce ... but my family LOVES heat! So, if you'd prefer a milder version, reduce the hot sauce down to 1/2 cup.

This is easy! Hope your open house goes well!

donakat
09-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm with Jenn, I just call it Stew! Mine is done in an electric frypan, and once you've cut up the veggies, you don't have too much else to do except check and add water occasionally. It stews for a couple of hours. The easy elements can be used, or you can do it the long way and add all your own spices and veggies cut by hand. Guess you know which method I use...:wink:

Dona's Beef Stew
1pkg Beef Stew Seasoning (Lawry's, Shilling, whatever makes it easy!)
1-1 1/2 lbs top round steak cut into 1" cubes
2 russet potatoes, small, cut into cubes (the fast way is canned, diced new potatoes)
Lots of carrots, sliced into half-inch cuts (baby carrots make this easy)
Celery, diced (about 2 long spears)
Pearl onions (use the frozen kind, as they're already peeled)
If you like peas, you could add them, or string beans (neither for my stew)

Add the pieces of beef to an electric frypan with some butter to keep from sticking (about 300 degrees F) and fry till brown on all sides. Add 2 cups water, seasoning mix, celery, onions and carrots. Stir to mix seasonings. Reduce temperature to whatever allows the mixture to simmer. If you're using raw potatoes, add them, too. Canned potatoes and other canned veggies need only be added during the last half hour of simmering. Check the mixture periodically to make sure there's plenty of liquid; add more water as needed, it will be your gravy at the end.
Simmer for about 2 hours; can be kept at a low simmer even longer. Just before serving make a paste of about 1/4-1/2 cup flour (I use super easy Wondra) and a little water, and add slowly to the liquid in the pan. Stir constantly till mixed in well; this should make a nice thick gravy, not soupy. Add additional flour paste as necessary to achieve thickness. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from pan and serve with cornbread or garlic toast, or whatever you like.

mosser77
09-29-2009, 06:07 AM
These are cute!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/3960385891_98524d4e39_o.jpg (http://www.bakerella.com/pumpkin-pie-bites/)

tweederbug
09-29-2009, 06:16 AM
These are cute!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/3960385891_98524d4e39_o.jpg (http://www.bakerella.com/pumpkin-pie-bites/)

They look super cute and easy to make. I think that I will make that for dessert! I have the cookie cutter amd small muffin pan...somewhere LOL!! I can't seem to find anything since we moved and to think that I am having a party to show the house this weekend :confused1:!

britnkaysmemaw2
09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
A good main dish that is easy and stretches a long way is Hot Chicken Sandwiches. We made this for my Mom's 90th birthday party (175+ attented) and it went over very well.

You use Canned Chicken, Cream of Celery Soup, and Stuffing. Heat it in a crockpot and serve it warm on mini buns.

We got our Canned chicken at Gordon Foods. They have the large cans of chicken. We ended up using 6 cans total but had 3 plastic storage containers left over.

Hope your house-warming goes well. Have fun, and looking forward to those pics!

j_camargo6
09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Oooh, those pumpkin tarts are adorable, Erin!!!

JAB
09-30-2009, 04:49 AM
I have done the buffalo chicken dip also..but never in the crock pot. I love the idea of keeping it hot!
I usually just layer it in a big dish and bake it...it doesn't last long enough to get cold ;)

I do a yummy hash brown casserole in my crock pot:

In large crock pot -
dump in 1 bag of shredded frozen hash browns

Mix in large bowl :
1 small carton sour cream
1 -2 ( depending on how creamy you want it) cans cream soup - celery, mushroom or chicken - whatever you like
1 package shredded cheese

Pour over hash browns and stir well-
cook 4-6 hours on low

** variations-
add some crumbled bacon, cooked sausage or diced ham
Top with the crispy french fried onions before serving

Even my picky kids will eat this :)

photocowgirl
09-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Oh yummy recipes!!! Hope your open house goes well!

britnkaysmemaw2
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Oh my Julie, that Hash Brown Casserole sounds yummy.

elenasworld
09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
All these yummy recipes have made me hungry
Oh, I so need to try some of them
I keep scrolling up to the buffalo chicken dips