PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

steph
03-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Griest's layout for the spiritual challenge brought back so many memories for me, that I had to ask... what kind of memories do all of you have tied to, not just September 11th, but any major event in history?

The reason her layout brought back so many memories for me is because of where I was when the attacks on September 11th happened. I will never forget... I was at a hospital in a small town in Ontario, being induced for Justin. I remember looking up at the clock as the doctor induced me, just cause I want to see how far behind schedule he was...LOL... and seeing that it was nine o'clock in the morning. I had no clue what was going on outside of that delivery room at that precise time. I was in my own little world, hoping this would be the day I would meet my little person for the first time. I found out on the way home from the hospital(after waiting for a bit to see if anything happened...it didn't), when we called my in-laws, who were at our house. I remember hoping I would go into labour, watching CNN all day, in total and utter disbelief. I still to this day can not believe that it happened, and it truly saddens me that people are that unwell that they need to do unspeakable things to innocent bystanders.

Well... that is my novel... LOL... I just had to share those memories!!!

Stephanie

ckbymommy
03-30-2007, 06:52 AM
I was home - having just sent my kiddo's off to school. I was very pregnant and quite emotional over the whole thing (not that everyone wasn't emotional, just think I was more than I would have been had I not been pregnant.

Speaking of "where were you?", does anyone remember where they were for Columbine? How about Challenger?

Columbine I came home from having lasik on my eyes and it was all over the news - I coudn't see a thing, but just listened to it all unfold.

Challenger - I was in high school and stayed home sick that day. I was just getting up (I lived in Alaska, so it wasn't *that* late, LOL) and turned on my little black and white TV in my bedroom. I just remember feeling sick to my stomach. A teacher from my school was in the group of possibilities to go on the trip, but didn't make it in the final group.

steph
03-30-2007, 06:58 AM
I remember Challenger too... I was in grade ten, and I had just finished writing an exam... I came home and my mom showed me the news, and I remember sobbing cause I was just so sad!!!

I just hate that these things have to happen!!!

yin
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
On 9-11, we were home it was night time, and we turned on the news without knowing a thing, to see pictures of the first tower in flames, the news people were not yet sure what caused it , though suggesting an impossible thing about a plane crashing, and while we were watching, the second plane flew into our screen and crashed into the other tower... i think we about dropped dead at that moment, it took quite a while before it sank in, we stayed by the telly the entire night in total unbelief... so sad to even talk about it now.....

crops2dawn
03-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I was sitting at home watching Good Morning America, When it first started I was in disbelief, I imediately called my sister and we actually stayed on the phone ALL DAY LONG!!! I couldnt wait for my kids to get home from school and my hubby from work that day! I didnt know a soul that tragic day and for that I am soo grateful, but for all those people who had lost soo much, I feel deep in my heart the pain that they went through. That day is forever etch in my soul. A day that NO one will EVER forget!!

twirlyjoy
03-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I didn't know anything about it until quite a while afterwards. I was in school all that afternoon (of course, for us, it was afternoon), then the girls had gymnastics, so I didn't know anything about it till I went to the fish and chip shop after gym coaching, and the guy in there mentioned something about it. I went straight home to watch the news. I agree, although I knew nobody involved that day, it made me very sad, as it did to others.

HollyS
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
On 9/11, I remember being fearful of my mother's wellbeing because she was in the building across from the pentagon. It was a very trying time that morning. While I do not know anyone who had a loss in the 9/11 attacks, I think we can all agree that we all were affected by it.

During the challenger accident, I was in high school and actually home sick that day and watching it on live tv. I remember watching in horror and wondering if what I saw was true...

And then the recent shooting in the Amish community....I balled and balled over that one too!

bay_girl
03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I was actually in bed on 9/11. My hubby had just left a few days before to go home and I remember my mother waking me telling me to turn on the news. I couldnt believe what I was seeing.
I called Blaine almost immediately to tell him what was going on and find out where his mother was (as she tended to fly to New York on a regular basis). Everyone was fine that I knew personally.
I did have an online friend who worked at the towers. I talked to him a couple times a week online. After the towers fell I never heard from him again so I dont know to this day if he was there. My aunts grandparents lived in Manhattan at the time, they were both doctors and were called in to try and help with all the injuries.
Exactly one week later Blaine was moving in with me. I remember begging him not to fly. I offered to make a 7 hour drive to pick him up at home.

I dont remember where I was during any other disaster.

griest
03-30-2007, 03:52 PM
During 9/11. I was at work and couldn't wait to get home and just listen to the news.

For the challenger, I remember my two little boys so excited going to school and watching the teacher in space. I was home with my baby girl and remember sobbing and thinking how devastated the little school children would be. How sad!

I too sobbed over the amish shooting. That community was soooo strong during the whole thing. Faith like that is a true blessing. I don't think I could be as forgiving if it were my children or family members involved.

Andrea
03-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I remember that I had a class that morning. It was my last semester and I woke up and just didn't feel good. I was debating on whether or not to go to school and then my babysitter backed out on me, so I skipped class. Since I was home, I happened to notice that all of the neighbors were coming home with their kids (who should have been in school). I thought to myself..."that is weird." So, I turned the tv on and about died! I was petrified! The second tower fell just a few minutes after I tuned in. I will never forget it.

Xaria
03-30-2007, 07:38 PM
For 9/11 I was waking up and my partner turned on TV and I watched it for a while. Went to work and do-one mentioned it until about 3. The question we all wanted to know was, are there any New Zealanders there, as we are such a nation of travellers.
As it turned out, one of my workmates nieces was supposed to be doing a tour of the buildings the next day! He freaked when he heard that.

For me the most memorable terrible event was the Aramoana tragedy. I must have been 13 and it was only about 200 km from home. The whole school just stopped and listened to the radio. I was actually out at the village of Aramoana a month or so ago and watered the tree that has been planted at the memorial.